I've seen some threads on getting an "unlock code" for Blackberrys. What are they? What do they do? How do you get one? How do you "unlock" your Blackberry and why would you want to do this?

Sorry for all the questions but this seems like quite the hot topic so...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-10 04:18 PM
    An unlock code unlocks your phone so you can use it on a different carrier. If you meet their requirements T-Mobile will give you the code for free. You just have to call and ask for it.
    02-19-10 04:30 PM
    What would be the requirements?

02-19-10 07:12 PM
    If I remember right you have to be with them for atleast 90 days and your bill can't be past due.
    02-19-10 08:57 PM
    You can get one from T-mobile for free by meeting those requirements however you can also pay for an unlock code via several sites. The prices vary. This would allow you, as said before...to use your device with another provider on the same type of network such as AT&T.
    The reason that some would want to do this would vary. Sometimes ppl buy BB's from others and they are not tied to the network that they are currently with.
    02-19-10 09:05 PM
    Let us know if you decide to go via this route and if your carrier cannot provide it. We can definitely help you out.
    02-19-10 10:05 PM
    I've seen some threads on getting an "unlock code" for Blackberrys. What are they? What do they do? How do you get one? How do you "unlock" your Blackberry and why would you want to do this?

Sorry for all the questions but this seems like quite the hot topic so...

Ok let's try to break it down for you

What are they? 8 or 16 Digits number

What do they do? enables you to use your Blackberry with most GSM Networks

How do you get one? You can try to get it from the provider the phone is from or you can buy the unlock code from a 3rd party unlocker such as ourselves.

How do you "unlock" your Blackberry? Pretty easy to enter the code on the phone by going through some menus and typing a sequence of letters/number

and why would you want to do this? If you want to use your phone with another provider, higher resale value, ability to buy a prepaid sim card when travelling instead of paying for roaming

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions.
    02-20-10 01:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD