Hi gang, I recently purchased an AT&T branded Blackberry Bold 9700 phone from eBay. While the seller's ad assured me the phone was unlocked and would work with any GSM carrier in the world ("all you have to do is put in your existing sim card and it will work"), upon receiving it in the mail, I have discovered that I am unable to make outgoing calls.

I am currently with Rogers in Canada.

The problem is quite odd, as I am able to perform just about any other task without a problem (sending/receiving SMS, browsing with WiFi, receiving incoming calls), I receive the following two messages when I try to make an outgoing phone call:

Call failed due to SIM Toolkit control error. Please try again later.
    SIM: Call barred.

I took it to my local Rogers store, who also advised calling their technical support line. Both representatives I spoke with (in person and on the phone) determined through diagnostics that the problem was related to the phone itself. They both suggested that perhaps it was not unlocked properly.

I have contacted the seller and he has, for the most part, tried to assist me in solving the problem. Unfortunately, everything he's instructed me to do hasn't worked. These are the instructions he's given me (summarized):

1. Options>Security>Wipe
    2. Remove battery
    3. Remove sim card
    4. Replace battery
    5. Options>Advanced Options>Sim Card> type "MEPD" > type "MEP2" > input unlock code

Okay, so I get to step 5, and after typing "MEPD", I see a list of options appear on the screen that weren't there before (which he told me is supposed to happen). But when I type "MEP2", nothing happens. Supposedly, a box should appear to let me input an unlock code (which he's provided me with), but nothing appears. I've also researched this online, watched several videos, and from what I can tell, I'm not doing anything wrong.

I've also tried many different variations of this, as I've seen others have run into similar problems but I haven't been able to find a concrete solution thusfar.

At this point, I'm at my wits end and quite fed up with trying to make a phone that was advertised as being perfectly unlocked to work. I sent him a reply a few moments ago stating that I would await one further attempt for him to explain to me what to do in order to fix this problem, but if it didn't work, that I would be filing claims with PayPal/eBay to reimburse me for this purchase. I have not yet received a reply back.

I decided to post here in case anyone might be able to help me with this problem, whether it be why I can't make outgoing calls, or how to make the unlock box appear.

NOTE: I've done a SIGNIFICANT amount of research on this problem on this website and a number of others. So far I've concluded that buying AT&T branded phones is just generally a bad idea (lesson learned), and unfortunately none of the steps I've read have worked for me. So I don't need people posting things like "don't buy AT&T phones" or "just try it again" as, like I said, I've learned my lesson, and I've tried just about everything at this point.

I would really just like to fix whatever is wrong with it instead of having to go through the hassle of filing claims with PayPal or eBay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    01-13-10 02:37 PM
    What does it say when you put in "MEPD" before you try to input "MEP2"? Are they all "Disabled"?

I have unlocked my 9700 the proper way but now that it is unlocked, nothing happens when I put in the "MEP2"
    01-13-10 02:43 PM
    What does it say when you put in "MEPD" before you try to input "MEP2"? Are they all "Disabled"?

I have unlocked my 9700 the proper way but now that it is unlocked, nothing happens when I put in the "MEP2"
    Yes, everything in the list says "Disabled" on the right hand side. I read that (and watched) that if Network said "Active", it meant it was still locked to the branded network, which is why I'm so bamboozled as to why it's not working (if it's unlocked, I should be able to make outgoing calls without a problem).
    01-13-10 02:45 PM
    when you type mepd if network is active its locked if network is not active its unlocked.. if its already unlocked then the screen probably doesn't appear
    01-13-10 02:45 PM
    If the phone has been unlocked then when you type MEP2 nothing should happen. At least that's what happens on my 9700 but mine is factory oem unlocked/unbranded, not carrier unlocked.

Are all of the security items for the SIM disabled? Mine are. What about replacing the SIM card?
    When I took the phone into my local store they tried two or three different sim cards to test...all do the same thing. I can receive phone calls fine, but can't make them :/
    01-13-10 02:46 PM
    Yes, everything in the list says "Disabled" on the right hand side. I read that (and watched) that if Network said "Active", it meant it was still locked to the branded network, which is why I'm so bamboozled as to why it's not working (if it's unlocked, I should be able to make outgoing calls without a problem).
    Then the problem isn't with the phone being locked. I can't think of anything else but I'm sure someone at Crackberry will know what the problem is. Good Luck
    01-13-10 02:48 PM
    Something I just thought of: when you go in Options/Advanced Options/SIM Card, is the phone number showing up correct? if not, try hitting the Menu key and "Edit SIM Phone Number" and change it to your phone number
    01-13-10 02:51 PM
    Something I just thought of: when you go in Options/Advanced Options/SIM Card, is the phone number showing up correct? if not, try hitting the Menu key and "Edit SIM Phone Number" and change it to your phone number
    Yes, it's my current phone number that appears :/
    01-13-10 02:53 PM
    Sounds more to me like it's some sort of SIM or carrier programming issue than a problem with the phone.
    But how come when they tried different sim cards, it still didn't work? Do you mean it's a problem with my carrier? (Rogers)
    01-13-10 02:54 PM
    What about another phone to test with the same sim card?
    Works perfectly fine in my old cell phone (Curve 8310).

PS - How do I change what phone I have in my forum profile?
    01-13-10 03:00 PM
    It's a carrier network issue not the device.
    01-13-10 03:22 PM
    I actually came across both of those threads when I was searching about this problem when I received the phone earlier this week. When I went into my Rogers store I made sure that I had the right kind of Sim card (they said I did, they said I have the "4000 series" which is the latest one I suppose).

Nothing in there has helped me though

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I've already updated the phone software and it didn't change anything
    01-13-10 03:24 PM
    Try it with another Rogers SIM card
    01-13-10 03:45 PM
    He has tried it.
    01-13-10 03:46 PM
    I've tried with 3 other Rogers Sim cards...same result
    01-13-10 03:46 PM
    I've tried with 3 other Rogers Sim cards...same result
    I have buddies in Montreal using ATT 9700's with Rogers and have no issue at all. Do you have the latest OS on the phone?
    01-13-10 03:48 PM
    I have buddies in Montreal using ATT 9700's with Rogers and have no issue at all. Do you have the latest OS on the phone?
    Yes, I updated it the day I received it :/
    01-13-10 03:49 PM
    Yes, I updated it the day I received it :/
    Try loading Rogers OS instead of ATT's or a leaked one.

If you are not sure how to do it let us know (you will need to delete the Vendor.xml file prior to loading the OS)
    01-13-10 03:54 PM
    Try loading Rogers OS instead of ATT's or a leaked one.

If you are not sure how to do it let us know (you will need to delete the Vendor.xml file prior to loading the OS)
    Well at this point I'd be willing to try it.

Can you give me some more detailed instructions on what exactly I need to do? Or link me to a full instruction page somewhere? I'm pretty new to all of this...
    01-13-10 04:02 PM
    You're actually not using the correct sim card. to make sure 3G is working from an AT&T phone on either Rogers or Fido (Not sure about Belus but I would think so) you must have the older sims. Rogers = 3040 sim and Fido = SM32 sim. There is a lock on the newer sims to prevent using unlocked phones. Have you put it to 2G mode yet? Then you can use your phone to make calls and send texts. I know this because I'm having the same problem with my phone and am currently waiting for the SM32 sim I've ordered
    01-13-10 04:07 PM
    So what I need to ask for is a 3040 sim card? Would they even still carry outdated sims?
    01-13-10 04:10 PM
    You're actually not using the correct sim card. to make sure 3G is working from an AT&T phone on either Rogers or Fido (Not sure about Belus but I would think so) you must have the older sims. Rogers = 3040 sim and Fido = SM32 sim. There is a lock on the newer sims to prevent using unlocked phones. Have you put it to 2G mode yet? Then you can use your phone to make calls and send texts. I know this because I'm having the same problem with my phone and am currently waiting for the SM32 sim I've ordered
    +1 Yes that's also correct...damn Robbers *cough* Rogers!
    01-13-10 04:14 PM
    So what I need to ask for is a 3040 sim card? Would they even still carry outdated sims?
    They would probably not carry them, but you can find them on Kijiji or Ebay
    01-13-10 04:15 PM
    Well at this point I'd be willing to try it.

Can you give me some more detailed instructions on what exactly I need to do? Or link me to a full instruction page somewhere? I'm pretty new to all of this...
    Here to update OS

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os
    01-13-10 04:15 PM
    They would probably not carry them, but you can find them on Kijiji or Ebay
    But then wouldn't I be buying someone else's number?
    01-13-10 04:16 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD