They were deeming their event a" must attend " and they didn't even announce any new phones! Verizon now has basically all the same high end phones as sprint and is blowing them into the dust! This is so frustrating and now that they have that they are changing their terms people will consider jumping onto another carrier because no big announcements were made for Sprint and better phones are on them. They better get it together fast like this week and announce something groundbreaking! Overdrive seriously? give us a wimaxx phone we don't even get the updated pre and pixi that verizon is getting etc !!!!
    01-07-10 07:26 PM
    CES 2010 may be Sprint/Nextel's last (under that name.) Their business model's a failure, they're bleeding post-paid customers, and once the dust settles I think they'll have banked on the wrong 4G tech. Wimax and betamax rhyme. All S/N has going for them is their rate pricing, which isn't sustainable given their debt loads and churn.

EDIT: Please note, I'm not giddy about this. S/N's pricing scheme helps provide downward pressure on the other major carriers' pricing, and reduced competition in that area isn't good for any of us.
    Last edited by jlsparks; 01-07-10 at 07:41 PM.
    01-07-10 07:38 PM
    i cant believe that all they did was announce overdrive.. and had the lotus elite... wow fail thats bad what happpened?!
    01-07-10 07:57 PM
    Think about it for the most part, what are they going to announce?

WebOs? They already have both of their webOs phones out. And VZ will get a better impression for reasons I've stated before (webOs was much suckier before 1.3.5, VZ will start with 1.3.5+).

BB? 8530 just started releasing. Tour2 is expected, that pretty much guarantees nothing else for at least most of the year.

WM? They had the TP2 not that long ago. The WM devices aren't exactly cranking out in droves right now and everything is pending on WM7 (since when does Sprint pioneer new platforms that aren't Palm...).

They could announce some android news, but with the Moment + Hero, how many android devices do you think they have slated in addition to that and guaranteed this year?
    01-07-10 08:12 PM
    Summary, Sprint doesn't know wtf they're doing and their gameplan sucks. Every release news I've seen lately mentions basically all the major carriers EXCEPT Sprint...
    01-07-10 08:15 PM
    Man I hope Sprint doesn't go under or raise their rates. I left VZW because of the better rate plans on Sprint
    01-07-10 08:43 PM
    What did you expect??? I am a NY Jets fan and I am so use to them getting me all excited then get a big let down in the end, lol, if they are not talking about the Nexus One then it really doesn't matter what they have in their sleeve
    01-07-10 08:47 PM
    CES 2010 may be Sprint/Nextel's last (under that name.) Their business model's a failure, they're bleeding post-paid customers, and once the dust settles I think they'll have banked on the wrong 4G tech. Wimax and betamax rhyme. All S/N has going for them is their rate pricing, which isn't sustainable given their debt loads and churn.

Their business model is a failure? What part of their 'business model' is a failure? Their acquisition of Nextel WAS a failure, but what are they doing now that equals failure? Bleeding post paid? You fail to mention that losses are trending lower and if those trends continue will stop or be reversed. Finally, wrong 4g? Only 4g game in town and looking like it will be a game changer in the broadband markets where it is available. While Verizon is 'refining specs' for LTE devices, Sprint already has aircards, and soon phones, coming to market. Cover your short position soon JL, or wish you had, Sprint isn't going away anytime soon.
    For those lamenting the lack of news of a WiMax phone I too am disappointed but have to understand this is something Sprint has to get right. Announcing something before its ready would be a big mistake. A WiMax phone is coming and the future of Sprint hangs in the balance. If they get it right it will slay the Iphone. Get it wrong and Jl's prophecy of doom comes to pass. Better to wait until you know you have it right.
    Last edited by gsoscott; 01-07-10 at 10:29 PM. Reason: punctuation
    01-07-10 10:23 PM
    I love how Verizon trolls always come in here and say that Sprint is going under to get people all riled up. Somehow, I don't see it happening. Has Sprint ever made a big show at CES?
    01-08-10 08:42 AM

EDIT: Please note, I'm not giddy about this. S/N's pricing scheme helps provide downward pressure on the other major carriers' pricing, and reduced competition in that area isn't good for any of us.
    WiMaxm (not e) and LTE Advanced are true 4G. They are practically equal and some people want both technology to merge, which would be beautiful for all of us customers. WiMax had a two year head start and by time LTE reach 30 markets, WiMax might have doubled it worldwide. Even AT&T uses WiMax in certain markets. High quality VoIP in our phones is going to a game changer, and I could see Sprint teaming up with Google for Google Voice, since it will be a VoIP application.

Having said that, I'm truly disappointed with Sprint but bllackkman and papped said it the best. **** I'm a Jets, Mets, Rangers fan. Thank God for my other teams or I would have died from stress already lol. You just have to enjoy what you have, and hope for the best. I do also feel that someone major will either buy Sprint or do like what Vodafone did with Verizon. Even though T-Mobile USA is also struggling, no one could say this company isn't trying. Their phone selections might arguably be the best right now, and some to come.

Edit: I still strongly believe that Sprint will have their own version of the Nexus One, based on what this HTC representative have said. If not, hope for the HTC Bravo with Sense UI.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 01-08-10 at 09:38 AM. Reason: adding a little more
    01-08-10 09:30 AM
    Sprint announced today the new lg lotus elite and the rumor touch.
    Yippie

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 10:16 AM
    Sprint announced today the new lg lotus elite and the rumor touch.
    Yippie

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You will never see my hands touch either, lol
    Last edited by bllackkman; 01-08-10 at 11:34 AM.
    01-08-10 11:31 AM
    [COLOR="Navy"]WiMaxm (not e) and LTE Advanced are true 4G. They are practically equal and some people want both technology to merge, which would be beautiful for all of us customers. WiMax had a two year head start and by time LTE reach 30 markets, WiMax might have doubled it worldwide.

Already have by far.

Total wimax mobile and wimax stations currently deployed around the world.

332 current deployments. Only about 122 mobile deployments around the world.

Including 13 mobile deployments here in the united states.

For the whole world there are only 39 LTE commitments. Not deployments commitments.

lte is not deployed current and probably not until next fall. Current uses of lte has proved to more or less a failure and redesigns are needed.
    Posted the image soo people can read it.

01-08-10 11:36 AM
    Now about sprint. They are going no where. They are simply moving from a cell phone based company to a internet provider.

Lets face facts. Everyone in a few years will not care how many mins they have because voip will have taken that place. All they will care about is how fast the connection is and where they can get it.

Just like gsm, wimax is the world standard now. The two largest growing and largerest markets in the world, china and india have decided it. But the time lte gets into full product. Wimax will have covered 50% of the worlds population.

Sprint having bet on the winner, does not have to pay for usage on that service. Because it is open source. They can make cards, network hubs, relays, and even chips themselves, and not pay a dime to anyone.

Mean while lte can not get voice to work with data. It is one or the other, not both. And lte is close source, charging hundreds of thousands of dollars just to develop anything.

Sprint my have had troubles in the past, but they learned there lesson. You try to fight for good phones with this closed system, you will get killed. Verizon and att are too large to fight anything from.

Lastly, google would buy either sprint or tmobile if either of them look like they where going to fail.

Why? google wants this badly.
    01-08-10 11:49 AM
    @TDF: I've read from numerous sources that WiMax has the provision to do simultaneous voice + data, plus the ability to do VoIP, and Video Chatting. Also, that it would be backwards compatible. This can only be done with a WiMax enabled smartphone, correct? If this isn't game changing, I don't know what is. I'm loving the direction that both technologies are heading to.
    01-08-10 11:50 AM
    Wow some people are dense... Anything negative about Sprint = VZ trolls I guess...
    01-08-10 12:21 PM
    Wow some people are dense... Anything negative about Sprint = VZ trolls I guess...
    It's like that for everything. You just have to know the true definition of what a troll is. If I came in here stating that Sprint is doomed, going to shut down permanently, and will never compare to my carrier, am I a troll? What if I state the facts about Sprint decline in business, post up articles that back up my claims, and try to come up with a solution that will help Sprint. Will I be a troll then? "Troll" is thrown as much as "hater" or "swag", but you should obviously know the difference between what truly is a troll. 9 out of 10, a troll will show similar traits as a fanboy. You're a realist and that's also is wrongly incorporated as a troll.
    01-08-10 12:35 PM
    Yeah, the "sprint is doomed just because" points I get why people don't like.

But this is simply about a seriously underwhelming CES showing...
    01-08-10 01:53 PM
    First, I didn't say Sprint was doomed. I expressed my opinions about their operations, which opinions are supported by their own 10Qs and -Ks. RE: 4G, I made it clear that it was strictly my opinion that wimax won't ultimately be the 4G technology of choice. Finally, I reinforced my statement that I do *not* want to see Sprint fail, because their failure would reduce the downward pressure their rate plan structure has on other carriers, and naturally diminishes competition, which is bad for all of us.

Some may agree, some may not. My choice of carrier is irrelevant, and has zero impact on what I've taken away from reading Sprint's 10Qs for the past year+. If my service was with Sprint, rather than with VZW, my post would have read precisely the same way I wrote it as a VZW customer. If that makes me a troll, so be it.
    01-08-10 02:11 PM
    @TDF: I've read from numerous sources that WiMax has the provision to do simultaneous voice + data, plus the ability to do VoIP, and Video Chatting. Also, that it would be backwards compatible. This can only be done with a WiMax enabled smartphone, correct? If this isn't game changing, I don't know what is. I'm loving the direction that both technologies are heading to.
    Wimax will not do voice. It will be able to do voip, but it will not carry the voice on the same frequency.

It will have one radio for voice and one for data. Both radios can work at the same time. Unlike lte, where voice is data. The more people you have talking the less bandwidth you have. Wimax leaves the voice to gsm and cdma.

This means that you can call and using it as a modem at the same time. The data for voice is not hogging up both bandwidth. And it also means that it will be support to interchange between devices.

For example. You would get a wimax for your car, computer, phone, office and home. Just like wifi. Many connections, one ip address.

Let us look at this closely.

Lets say you and your partner are going to go out to eat with some friends.
    You are in a car traveling down the freeway. She wants to call your friends to get their opinion. She also wants to do a review of restaurants online, and you want to stream music and use the cars navagation with 4g connection to navigate to a parking garage you use when you vist town.

With wimax. She can call your friends, look up restaurants online, and you can stream music and use the car 4g navigation all on the same account. Why, because wimax is like wifi. Many different signals all streamed into one connection.

Now with lte. Once your wife makes a phone call, you cannot get directions, look up reviews, and stream music. The voice will disrupted the all connections. With lte you will need account for every device. One for you car, one for the pc, and one for each cell phone.

That is why wimax is adopted by intel, google, cisco, and a few hundred other companies.

Wimax is the next step in wifi. Everything you can do with wifi, you can do with wimax. But instead of one house, it is one city.

LTE is just the long term evolution of mobile phone connections. It is just the next step in cdma.

They are not the same connection and are not comparable.

Now that sprint has released overdrive, you can now let anyone in the car that has a wireless connection, use wimax.

Have a lan party, overdrive

Install it in your car and you have a mobile highspeed wifi network. For anyone that has a wifi card.

Starting to see the difference?
    01-08-10 04:53 PM
    None of this matters if you doing dumb stuff
    01-08-10 05:04 PM
    RE: 4G, I made it clear that it was strictly my opinion that wimax won't ultimately be the 4G technology of choice.
    Would love to know why this is true.

I mean it is already untrue but why do you think it is true?

India is coming online in a about a month. Which means about 19 million people by 2011?
    There is right now about 4 million people using wimax right now?

By 2012 numbers should be around 50 million or so.

By 2012 lte will have just began to roll out.

Right now lte can not even decide what standard to use. 3GPP Release 8 is not ratified and is mostly abandoned.

Everyone is playing a guessing game. That is why it was suppose to be out by late 2008, early 2009, mid 2009, late 2009, now early 2010, and mid 2010.

They are just bouncing around screaming SOON SOON.
    01-08-10 05:05 PM
    Would love to know why this is true.

I mean it is already untrue but why do you think it is true?

India is coming online in a about a month. Which means about 19 million people by 2011?
    There is right now about 4 million people using wimax right now?

By 2012 numbers should be around 50 million or so.

By 2012 lte will have just began to roll out.

Right now lte can not even decide what standard to use. 3GPP Release 8 is not ratified and is mostly abandoned.

Everyone is playing a guessing game. That is why it was suppose to be out by late 2008, early 2009, mid 2009, late 2009, now early 2010, and mid 2010.

They are just bouncing around screaming SOON SOON.
    Let me rephrase. I got lazy in my language. A prime problem I see for mobile wimax in the US is that the only "major" mobile carrier rolling it out is Sprint. They committed to the technology 4 years ago. 4. They said then that they were going to spend, as I recall, around $5B on infrastructure. Recently Sprint's CapEx have tailed way, way off, and they ended up in a wimax JV with Clearwire to keep cash burn somewhat manageable.

So now we've got mobile and fixed potentially fighting for the same customer. Sure, there are bundling and other possibilities, so we'll see how that side of the partnership pans out.

Suffice it to say, though, while wimax may be making strides globally, US accessibility will continue to be limited to Sprint's 60m or so lines. That's a fraction of potential.

In the end I think wimax will fill a need (largely in filling the hole that exists with rural broadband). It may gain some traction in the US mobile market too. I just can't see how the numbers add up to make it the dominant 4G technology with US mobile carriers.
    Last edited by jlsparks; 01-08-10 at 05:22 PM.
    01-08-10 05:20 PM
    3 of the 4 major carriers are going with LTE. I would hope that with this we will be able to buy a device and move it to another carrier (like unlocking it from AT&T and going to Tmobile). And if they allowed roaming across networks it would be a huge win for consumers in coverage and the carriers I would assume. They would all be able to split their expansion costs by building in different areas to offer roaming etc and more full nationwide coverage.
    01-08-10 05:22 PM
    Now about sprint. They are going no where. They are simply moving from a cell phone based company to a internet provider.

Lets face facts. Everyone in a few years will not care how many mins they have because voip will have taken that place. All they will care about is how fast the connection is and where they can get it.

Just like gsm, wimax is the world standard now. The two largest growing and largerest markets in the world, china and india have decided it. But the time lte gets into full product. Wimax will have covered 50% of the worlds population.

Sprint having bet on the winner, does not have to pay for usage on that service. Because it is open source. They can make cards, network hubs, relays, and even chips themselves, and not pay a dime to anyone.

Mean while lte can not get voice to work with data. It is one or the other, not both. And lte is close source, charging hundreds of thousands of dollars just to develop anything.

Sprint my have had troubles in the past, but they learned there lesson. You try to fight for good phones with this closed system, you will get killed. Verizon and att are too large to fight anything from.

Lastly, google would buy either sprint or tmobile if either of them look like they where going to fail.

Why? google wants this badly.
    I like this conspiracy theory
    01-08-10 05:46 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD