Alas!!! We can put this issue to rest!!!
    12-21-07 08:08 AM
    Depends on which IM app you are using! Some use text others use data! IMO jivetalk is hands downs the best and worth the one time fee

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-07 08:19 AM
    IMs are texts from what I was told. So yes get unlimited texting. I believe it costs 19.99 w tmobile.
    the BB IMs are different. those I believe are related to data not texts.
    12-23-07 06:00 PM
    IMs are texts from what I was told. So yes get unlimited texting
    NO!. This has been brought up several times in several threads, including just a few posts up in this one. You have the 8320, the IM applications are now native to blackberry and the IM's go via blackberry data, not a text messaging plan.

Perhaps a banner add at the top of T mobile forum would finally put this issue to rest.
    12-23-07 10:29 PM
    To further confuse the matter:

If someone is using AOL Instant Mesenger and they IM your phone (you can set up a persons mobile phone in AOL IM) and you do NOT have AOL IM (or compatible program) running on your phone, then aol will convert the IM to a txt msg and send it to your phone as an SMS. (my girlfriend does it to me all the time)

If you have an IM client on your blackberry, then it uses the data plan, not your SMS's so you incurr no charges.

Your best bet to avoid charges, is to install an IM program so you can chat w/your friends without incurring any SMS fees. (Or get unlimited txt plan)
    12-24-07 10:47 AM
    I'm a current T-Mo customer and am considering upgrading to either the Pearl 8120 or the Curve. I do a fair bit of IMing and not much texting, so I was wondering if IMs (specifically on AIM) on the 8120 are counted as texts or included in the data. Any info would be appreciated!
    06-03-08 02:44 AM
    Ok maybe we need more tmo reps to find out what is the real deal on this issue.

As per Tmobile website and advertisments IM's are sent/received as text messages. (Browse Tmo website and you will see).

It is clear: BBmessenger is a diferent issue because it is an application that has to pass through BB server first therefore it would need a BB data plan.

Now, my question is: some people explained BB curve now uses IM as data while previous models like the pearl use it as text. Does it make sense? well I just dont understand why tmobile wouldnt specify in their ads or website that if you own a BB then the IM issue is different than for other phones.

And if this is not enough, give this a seconf tought: I have a BB curve with unlimited text and BB email. ( I dont have the data plan only email). And I am able to use yahoo IM without a problem. I could send any type of text, MMS, but you know what I cant use for some reason MSN IM or ICQ.

So is text or data? why can I use yahoo not MSN? why is advertised to be included in the text package and not the data package?

So I beleive there is something we dont completely know and most likely the customer service reps dont know either.

Hopefully at the end we all get an answer and someone will digg out the truth.

Take care berry-friends.
    06-03-08 11:46 AM
    not sure if this is relevant ... but I went into Options, Advanced Options, Default Services. Under Messaging, it has my yahoo ID that I set up for Yahoo Messenger. There is "CMIME" next to Messaging. Should it say SMS if Yahoo Messenger uses text instead of data?

I went to the TMobile store on Saturday on a different issue and asked about text charges using the yahoo messenger application that is preloaded in the curve. the employee said they are treated as Text.. Since he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, I think I will call TMobile directly and ask (611).
    06-03-08 01:38 PM
    When I inquired about it with T-Mobile in January they told me it depended on my plan. If I had the Blackberry Minutes & Mail, it included unlimited text. Since I had the 19.99 BB BIS Add on, it was not included and would count as text. Right or wrong, I don't know. Most of the threads I read here and on other sites disagreed on whether it is text or data. If you get an answer, please update with the "latest" so we can continue the arguing!
    06-04-08 03:54 PM
    I came here for an argument!

I called TMO last night, and they said that everything EXCEPT BB messenger was considered a text message. And it has to be BB to BB message, not BB to phone to be charged to the data plan as opposed to text.

I forgot to ask about BB to PC IM'ing. I'm stopping by the store today, so I'll ask about it there.
    08-08-08 06:24 AM
    I only had 400 texts for last month and Yahoo IMs counted as texts. I know because I was checking my account while IMing someone. Afterwards I got a message from TMO saying I had used up all my texts

08-16-08 02:34 AM
    I have a Curve 8320 btw

08-16-08 02:35 AM
    I've had my Curve a little while, but just recently started IMing on it... for this matter

I think that this may be one of the most confusing topics that I may have EVER come across... To cloud the waters even more, I am a Verizon customer, and I have had different explanations (one rep changed her mind three times while i was talking with her) I suppose I will just wait and see what the bills says... Anyone from Verizon got their bill and been surprised? BTW I use yahoo messenger

Thanks and Laters
    08-16-08 10:41 AM
    I only had 400 texts for last month and Yahoo IMs counted as texts. I know because I was checking my account while IMing someone. Afterwards I got a message from TMO saying I had used up all my texts

The Tmo reps are confusing IMO, so I always put it to the test. I've had the curve since Feb and have the BIS plan. Here's what I've experienced.
    Yahoo IM, AIM, MSN, Google talk, ICQ, BB msg and pin messages are all data. the only thing that goes towards texts are sms/mms. I like tmo in the sense that when you log on online you will see what is going towards what in probably less than an hour. So there are no hidden fees. if you send an international msg it will show that u have an unbilled 15cent charge or whatever.
    Now I actually having a conflict with TMO on the sms/mms. Because up until this month let's say you have the 400 msgs plan it was 400sms texts and 400 mms. If you log on now the mms which shows up under pic msgs are not reading. When i asked the reps they are telling it's supposed to be combined so if mine is not doing that to be happy. Happy that I might go over my mms or what? Ironically I didn't MMS that much till this month.
    I love tmo but I wud prefer they clear that up.
    08-16-08 11:43 AM
    So confusing... now i have to ask...if you do NOT have a data plan and tmo says you can't even use or get charged for data if you don't have a plan......How in the world can you get a whopping bill for data usage overage if you don't have a data plan and it's not supposed to even work if you don't buy one???
    08-16-08 10:10 PM
    All right, so....I just got my Curve yesterday, and the IM vs text issue seems pretty confusing to me also.

I notice that in the change services section of my tmobile account I can select "Block all chargeable messages" and "Block chargeable Instant Messages" for free, what effect does this have? I would think logically that this would block all IMs/texts that you would be charged for, and allow any that arrive through the data plan and hence don't incur a charge? (I have the Blackberry unlimited plan but no text plan).
    08-20-08 08:41 AM
    All right, so....I just got my Curve yesterday, and the IM vs text issue seems pretty confusing to me also.

I notice that in the change services section of my tmobile account I can select "Block all chargeable messages" and "Block chargeable Instant Messages" for free, what effect does this have? I would think logically that this would block all IMs/texts that you would be charged for, and allow any that arrive through the data plan and hence don't incur a charge? (I have the Blackberry unlimited plan but no text plan).

If you check the FREE boxes it will block EVERYTHING

yeah I know it's worded like it only will block anything EXTRA you wold be charged for but that is not how it works. Actually the reps will tell you this but TRUST me it blocks EVERYTHING. I had to get a TMOBILE supervisor to freakng UNBLOCK ME after it was explained wrong to me by a rep.

I'm hoping they can get this changed in the future and put my official COMPLAINT in... but as of now FREE BLOCKING blocks everything

EDITED TO SAY>>>>>>>This is what happened to me a couple weks ago and i have no idea about anybody elses happenings
    Last edited by SandAngel; 08-20-08 at 10:57 AM.
    08-20-08 10:55 AM
    Jive Talk uses data.
    08-20-08 11:15 AM
    Are you sure berrywhite?,i beg to differ,IM on tmo uses your txt plan,if it is unlimited,then your fine,if not,you can download jivetalk,a all-in-one IM app that uses your data plan instead of your txt plan.
    I thought IM's were data and not TXT!
    08-20-08 03:57 PM
    It doesn't matter if you're on unlimited text. But for us with limited text, it is definitely charged as a text when we IM.

08-20-08 05:31 PM
    T-Mobile Curve used data to IM, so if you using are a BB Curve you shouldn't get billed for IMs.
    08-20-08 05:45 PM
    T-Mobile Curve used data to IM, so if you using are a BB Curve you shouldn't get billed for IMs.
    What are you guys talking about. From what I have experienced this is how it works.

If you have the unlimited data plan then the instant messengers all go through data. But if you don't and you have a text package, call 611 and have them add the "Blackberry Feature Enabler". This will allow you to use the pre-installed instant messengers and they will count as text messages, not data.

So summary:

If you have the unlimited data plan, they count as data.
    If you have unlim text, have them add the Blackberry featur enabler and they count as sms messages.

08-20-08 05:54 PM
    What are you guys talking about. From what I have experienced this is how it works.

If you have the unlimited data plan then the instant messengers all go through data. But if you don't and you have a text package, call 611 and have them add the "Blackberry Feature Enabler". This will allow you to use the pre-installed instant messengers and they will count as text messages, not data.

So summary:

If you have the unlimited data plan, they count as data.
    If you have unlim text, have them add the Blackberry featur enabler and they count as sms messages.

When I do this it always says unable to retrieve data. is there a certain setting I should set my phone to?
    08-20-08 06:11 PM
    When I do this it always says unable to retrieve data. is there a certain setting I should set my phone to?
    It worked fine for me, I'm having some service book issues at the moment and don't think I can call t-mobile to have them resend my service books (i have no data plan other than feature enabler) because i'm running 4.5 os. We'll see what I do lol. It should work fine, it did for me pre-4.5 anyways.
    08-20-08 06:48 PM
    HMMM well if you figure out anything let me know. I know I have the enabler I just thought maybe you had your setting configured a certain way. Let me know
    08-20-08 07:04 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD