Hi all, I've tried looking at the TMo website, but I cant seem to figure this out. Is instant messaging free, i.e. AIM, Yahoo!? What about the Blackberry IM. Is that free? If not, how is it charged. I do have the Blackberry plan, but I've never tried the IM function. Thanks in advance for your help.
    12-14-07 05:20 PM
    IM Apps for TMO use BB Data. As long as you have unlimited Data u will be fine!
    12-14-07 05:23 PM
    Are you sure berrywhite?,i beg to differ,IM on tmo uses your txt plan,if it is unlimited,then your fine,if not,you can download jivetalk,a all-in-one IM app that uses your data plan instead of your txt plan.
    12-14-07 05:36 PM
    Messages on T-Mo are included in the BIS plan. If you don;t have BB, you can get unlimited text messages for $2.99/month. I have 3 phones on my plan and got unlimited text messages (which includes IM) for $5.99/month for all 3 phones (not each).
    12-14-07 07:01 PM
    At least that's what I though I was paying for.
    12-14-07 07:02 PM
    IM's are counted as text messages. So if you do lots of IM's make sure to have unlimited text.
    12-15-07 10:49 AM
    Messages on T-Mo are included in the BIS plan. If you don;t have BB, you can get unlimited text messages for $2.99/month. I have 3 phones on my plan and got unlimited text messages (which includes IM) for $5.99/month for all 3 phones (not each).
    Can any tmo customers confirm this pricing that doktrgroove just gave?,i just got with tmo going on 3 weeks now and when i signed up i got 400 txts a mo for 4.99 and was told unlimited txts are 14.99 a mo. on top of the 19.99 a mo. for a unlimited bis plan.
    12-16-07 10:17 AM
    Again... IM's are counted as data not texts! I IM all the time using AIM and it uses my data!
    12-16-07 10:20 AM
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad I asked because it seems that quite a few ppl are a little confused on the charges. Im a still a little confused though. If you used the bb messenger would that be different from say AIM or Yahoo!? I wonder if bb messenger is included, but not the "3rd party" applications. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    12-17-07 07:50 PM
    I have to agree with BerryWhite. I only get charged when I use mms or repsond to one. aim at least is free
    12-17-07 09:08 PM
    Ok everyone, I'm a T-Mobile employee and this is how it works.

Prior to the Blackberry Curve (Pearl, 8700, 8800, etc.), Instant Messages using the built-in client would count as text messages. The Curve uses new IM clients that use the Blackberry Server to send messages, therefore not counting as SMS; unlimited as long as you have the data add-on.
    12-17-07 10:43 PM
    Can any tmo customers confirm this pricing that doktrgroove just gave?,i just got with tmo going on 3 weeks now and when i signed up i got 400 txts a mo for 4.99 and was told unlimited txts are 14.99 a mo. on top of the 19.99 a mo. for a unlimited bis plan.
    those prices he gave are totally wrong. These are the messaging bundles T-Mobile currently offers.

$4.99/mo - 400 messages
    $9.99/mo - 1000 messages
    $14.99/mo - Unlimited messages

And again, if you are using the Curve, IMs DO NOT count as text messages, they are unlimited as long as you have the data add-on.
    12-17-07 10:45 PM
    those prices he gave are totally wrong. These are the messaging bundles T-Mobile currently offers.

$4.99/mo - 400 messages
    $9.99/mo - 1000 messages

And again, if you are using the Curve, IMs DO NOT count as text messages, they are unlimited as long as you have the data add-on.
    Just to clarify, I have a pearl and am paying for the bb plan. So what is the benefit of having this option? Is having unlimited email the reason why ppl pick this option up? If you have Gmail or Yahoo! mail cant you just get the internet option added and save $15? My apologies for my ignorance. I have a feeling that I'm not using my bb to its full potential. Sorry still a little gray on the matter. Thanks.
    12-18-07 01:01 PM
    You're saying unlimited TEXT messages for $2.99?

Can anyone confirm this? I'm paying $9.99 for 1000 texts.

I have the $19.99 BB add on + 1500 min for $49.99 including unlimited nights and weekends + $9.99 H@H + $9.99 for 1000 texts.

If I can get unlimited TEXTS for $2.99 a month I'll have to call T-Mo.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Fkmegently; 12-19-07 at 09:18 PM.
    12-18-07 05:10 PM

$4.99/mo - 400 messages
    $9.99/mo - 1000 messages

Hey Poppa Sax if I'm reading correctly he was accurate in his pricing comment. No offense meant just saying....
    12-18-07 05:12 PM
    Hi all, I've tried looking at the TMo website, but I cant seem to figure this out. Is instant messaging free, i.e. AIM, Yahoo!? What about the Blackberry IM. Is that free? If not, how is it charged. I do have the Blackberry plan, but I've never tried the IM function. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Seems to depend on your handset. On my 8320, my IM's are treated as data, not txt msgs. Apparently, older handsets got charged as txts for all IM's.

Thank goodness. I would have to take out a second mortgage to pay for my last week's IM's!!
    12-18-07 05:45 PM
    LOL! I dunno if this thread is helping or making things a little more murky. I wonder if this would help.

My current plan:
    bb pearl + My favs + 400 text + bb plan

If I read Poppa Sax's post right, since I don't have a bb Curve, I would need all of the plans above. Or can I eliminate the 400 text charge.

If not, why would the free IM's be available to the curve only? Is it the type of server (?) that the device is accessing? Sorry I am sooo clueless.

I appreciates everyone input. It's been an eye opener.
    12-18-07 07:45 PM
    K, this is what I got from a T-Mobile Rep. Apparently, the BB plan only covers internet usage and unlimited e-mail and not text msgs. In case anyone else is as messed up as I am. Now this brings up the question, I noticed that there is a thread where ppl post their PIN's. Do I assume that these users have an unlimited text messaging plan on top of their bb plan? Thanks AGAIN.
    12-18-07 08:01 PM
    If not, why would the free IM's be available to the curve only? Is it the type of server (?) that the device is accessing? Sorry I am sooo clueless.
    The IM client on the curve is a native blackberry app and therefore uses blackberry's data plan (BIS) . Just guessing that going forward new consumer models will have native IM clients and also use data for instant messaging.

Even with the curve I still use the 1000 txt plan as traditional text messages (ie SMS/MMS) are not included in blackberry data plans.

Blackberry messaging (pin to pin) uses data as far as i know.

hope this helps to clear it up a little bit.
    12-18-07 09:01 PM
    Hey Poppa Sax if I'm reading correctly he was accurate in his pricing comment. No offense meant just saying....
    actually, I was referring to the 4th post in the thread where he quotes $5.99/month for unlimited messaging for 3 phones. That is not correct, and that pricing has NEVER been offered by T-Mobile.
    12-18-07 10:31 PM
    The IM client on the curve is a native blackberry app and therefore uses blackberry's data plan (BIS) . Just guessing that going forward new consumer models will have native IM clients and also use data for instant messaging.

Even with the curve I still use the 1000 txt plan as traditional text messages (ie SMS/MMS) are not included in blackberry data plans.

Blackberry messaging (pin to pin) uses data as far as i know.

hope this helps to clear it up a little bit.
    You are 100% correct. PIN messaging using data and not SMS.

And yes, going forward, Blackberry models will have the native client which uses data. According to my Blackberry rep, there will be an update to the Pearl for T-Mobile that will include the native IM clients.
    12-18-07 10:35 PM
    actually, I was referring to the 4th post in the thread where he quotes $5.99/month for unlimited messaging for 3 phones. That is not correct, and that pricing has NEVER been offered by T-Mobile.
    Cool. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it sounded too good to be true.
    12-19-07 09:16 PM
    Ok everyone, I'm a T-Mobile employee and this is how it works.

Prior to the Blackberry Curve (Pearl, 8700, 8800, etc.), Instant Messages using the built-in client would count as text messages. The Curve uses new IM clients that use the Blackberry Server to send messages, therefore not counting as SMS; unlimited as long as you have the data add-on.
    You are 100% correct. PIN messaging using data and not SMS.

And yes, going forward, Blackberry models will have the native client which uses data. According to my Blackberry rep, there will be an update to the Pearl for T-Mobile that will include the native IM clients.
    Poppa Sax is absolutely correct. I purchased my Curve the day they became available online...when I received it and called customer service to set up internet, e-mail, etc. the rep I spoke to had a hard time because the device was so new and because of those very changes Poppa Sax refers to, but she did finally manage to explain to me how it all works, and she said pretty much the same thing Poppa Sax did.

I use my IM services all the time, and I've not once been charged text messaging costs in relation to IM usage.
    12-20-07 11:38 AM
    I just got my BB on Monday and I called T-Mobile, they said the IMs count as text messages...

$14.99 for unlimited texting
    12-21-07 03:06 AM
    I just got my BB on Monday and I called T-Mobile, they said the IMs count as text messages...
    Correct. As discussed above, the cuves, not the pearls, IM clients are native blackberry apps and use blackberry data. Older models (i.e the pearl) IM clients are not native to blackberry and therefore do not use blackberry data.
    12-21-07 08:05 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD