Why would you need you need to swap to ATT. Beyond 160 works with all carriers as far as I know. The only thing you watch is your SMS if you are not an unlim plan
    i was being sarcastic, as GSM carriers wrap texts instead of cutting them off. but yes, beyond 160 remedies this for CDMA users.
    06-13-09 06:19 PM
    there is an application called beyond 160 its pretty good i got the free trial but if your not ready to put out about $6.99 the link is here son Beyond160 - Communication & Internet BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    06-13-09 07:49 PM
    There is an app for this issue. Its called Beyond 160 I think. I know its not free but if the character limit is a big enough issue and you don't want to use mms then the app is your only other option.

there is an application called beyond 160 its pretty good i got the free trial but if your not ready to put out about $6.99 the link is here son Beyond160 - Communication & Internet BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    Damn, beat me to it.
    06-13-09 09:43 PM
    I dont have a problem with this....then again im not trying to write novels via text message.
    06-14-09 11:07 AM
    Perhaps a "dumb question", but does Sprint provide the ability to MMS? I saw the earlier suggestion, but not sure how to get that option as a workaround for the 160 character limit. Thanks.
    06-14-09 11:36 AM
    For those still confused I will repeat what vzwrocka is saying..

SMS by DEFINITION is limited to 160 characters. period.

Mobile technology be it GSM, CDMA, or even 2 cans and string whatever.. all adhere to this defintion... This has NOTHING to do with VZ or with RIM.

"SOME" combination of carriers and phones allow concantenation of multiple SMS msgs to create a >160 char. txt. Now... by "some" i mean just that, so do NOT assume that just cos you sent a long winded txt that someone actually received the entire amount.. many recipients will only get the first 160characters..

Use SMS for what it was intended for... SHORT messages..lol
    With my old Palm and my wife with her EnV (both of us on Verizon) we could send and receive EMS txt msgs with each other, with several hundred characters, back and forth all in one message. As you mentioned, anyone outside of Verizon or with an incompatible phone would have it truncated on receipt.

I wish my BB Tour didn't cut me off at 160.
    08-21-09 08:29 PM
    With my old Palm and my wife with her EnV (both of us on Verizon) we could send and receive EMS txt msgs with each other, with several hundred characters, back and forth all in one message. As you mentioned, anyone outside of Verizon or with an incompatible phone would have it truncated on receipt.

I wish my BB Tour didn't cut me off at 160.
    Palm and Verizon regular phones can all do EMS. Blackberry has left the feature off of Verizon Blackberries. If you need really EMS, almost any other phone can handle it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 08:35 PM
    Palm and Verizon regular phones can all do EMS. Blackberry has left the feature off of Verizon Blackberries.
    Correct, it didn't work on my Storm as well.

The beyond160 program is interesting but it only handles outgoing messages.
    08-21-09 08:42 PM

I have always thought those outside applications are clumsy. I really enjoy the EMS on my own phone for both in and out messages. I rarely use SMS on the Blackberry.

08-21-09 08:52 PM
    Hmmm I still think MMS is the best way for lengthy messages... Doesn't happen much to me.

08-21-09 09:20 PM
    Hmmm I still think MMS is the best way for lengthy messages... Doesn't happen much to me.

MMS is incompatible with many phones and services.

08-21-09 09:36 PM
    MMS is incompatible with many phones and services.

Care to elaborate, expert? Majority of phones in the marketplace are MMS capable. What's next from you?
    08-21-09 10:20 PM
    I never really have this problem, if the message goes from Verizon to Verizon, it's unlimited, but if it is like Verizon to T-Mobile, cut-off is at 160. I think its only CDMA to CDMA but not CDMA to GSM.

08-24-09 02:11 AM
    I never really have this problem, if the message goes from Verizon to Verizon, it's unlimited, but if it is like Verizon to T-Mobile, cut-off is at 160. I think its only CDMA to CDMA but not CDMA to GSM.

Well your phone would never be able to tell the difference if it is going to cdma or gsm. It doesn't check the number's carrier behind the seen.

08-24-09 03:18 AM
    VZW does offer Extended Messaging for dumbphones - the limit is (I think) 500 characters. Unfortunately, BlackBerry does not handle this, nor do BlackBerrys split long messages.

As long as you're using a BlackBerry, you are stuck with the SMS limit - use MMS or email.

You are incorrect.

My Blackberry 8900 allows me to continue typing. It divides it into 160 character messages. I can send a total of 960 characters(6 messages)
    08-24-09 03:23 AM

I use this with no problem....dont know why outgoing messages only is bad though lol I'm the kind of person that just makes sure I get mine out and they can figure out thiers. lol
    08-24-09 03:28 AM
    If the person on the other end has a blackberry, you could always send 'em a PIN message.

Granted, I dunno if they have a length requirement.
    08-24-09 03:42 AM
    Economy of speech is a concept lost on most. It is one thing if you've got the time, another if you don't.
    Hence the option to SMS, MMS, PIN, or e-mail as mentioned before.

I for one hate receiving concatenated SMS texts. Just when you think you've read it all, bleep, here's another one with more useless dreck.
    However, some people are terse anyway in their messaging and that leaves you wanting more.

So I say more than one sentence please, but keep it to 4 or less. And use proper spelling and punctuation. It's what separates us men from the beasts!

08-24-09 05:13 AM

So how exactly do you send/ receive EMS text messages greater than 160 characters with your BB to a fellow Verizon user.?
    08-24-09 07:22 AM
    So how exactly do you send/ receive EMS text messages greater than 160 characters with your BB to a fellow Verizon user.?
    You don't - but you probably know that.

It only happens on a non-BlackBerry.

08-24-09 08:41 AM
    You are incorrect.

My Blackberry 8900 allows me to continue typing. It divides it into 160 character messages. I can send a total of 960 characters(6 messages)
    You are both correct... Tmo doesnt have a limit for sms. However, for some reason... Verizon has the 160 limit. I've seen this; I have collegues that have Tmo 8900's they can make their sms any length. Verizon does not... I've heard of EMS. Never promoted it as an option... just when asked the question about the limit advised 160 characters and leave it at that.
    Most phones ARE MMS capable ( save WE and perhaps the Tour with no camera ) I'm sure they are rectifying that. So using MMS as a way to send a lengthy sms is a good work around and has always worked for me and for those I've tested it with.
    08-24-09 09:26 AM
    You are both correct... Tmo doesnt have a limit for sms. However, for some reason... Verizon has the 160 limit. I've seen this; I have collegues that have Tmo 8900's they can make their sms any length. Verizon does not... I've heard of EMS. Never promoted it as an option... just when asked the question about the limit advised 160 characters and leave it at that.
    What do you mean by Verizon has 160 limit? Verizon has EMS and with every non-BB I have used with Verizon you can go way over the 160 limit both sending and receiving to/from other Verizon users.
    08-24-09 06:03 PM
    download beyond 160...that allows u to txt beyond 160...i think its like 4.99
    08-24-09 11:43 PM
    No work around for that buddy i'm dealing with it to for my storm.
    08-25-09 08:49 PM
    What do you mean by Verizon has 160 limit? Verizon has EMS and with every non-BB I have used with Verizon you can go way over the 160 limit both sending and receiving to/from other Verizon users.
    Thats great that non-bb's have that option... I dont deal with non-bb phones on a daily basis.
    BB's dont so the work around is MMS or some other way of sending the message. Other options are 3rd party.
    08-26-09 12:36 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD