I know there has been a lot of debate over this. I don't want speculation, just answer if you have experience with this. Do UMA calls work in USA? I have Talkspot LD, and will be in USA this weekend, and don't want roaming charges.
    ~S
    03-31-09 08:39 AM
    Hello,

I've read that as long as you are on UMA (i would disable edge and keep on wifi to be sure), that the minutes will be used just as if you where at home on your wifi. (based on your plan)

I've tried this with a work phone, just have to wait and see what the bill says to be 100% sure how it works.
    03-31-09 08:54 AM
    So if I have free evenings and weekends, I may get free calls after 6? That would be good enough.
    ~S
    03-31-09 08:59 AM
    Rogers blocks UMA access for IP's that are not Canadian, so you're out of luck. Your e-mails will work on Wifi abroad, but not your calling...
    04-01-09 09:32 AM
    Thanks. I guess I'll just get a prepaid sim down there, or use skype on my macbook. Too bad the new skype app wasn't out yet.
    ~S
    04-01-09 12:01 PM
    I just tried it again... it still works.

I even verified the country associated with my ip. (USA)
    via IP Lookup

Maybe different people are getting different results, my advice it to just try it.
    04-01-09 03:32 PM
    I have a question then regarding UMA if you have that is there a minimum subscription period or no?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 10:55 PM
    My understanding so far is that...
    1) if you have UMA (Rogers Talkspot) plan, then your UMA minutes are used against that.

2) If you don't, then your minutes just come off your plan as normal, just like you weren't on UMA.
    04-02-09 07:17 AM
    I can vouch for this and state it does work. I work in Minnesota but live in Northern Ontario. The property I work for does not have cell service but we have a vastly large huge wifi network, so when I walk around talking people give me a funny look. If you have a talkspot plan then it would come from there, otherwise it just counts as your normal minutes. I also used this when I was in Las Vegas with no troubles. Hope it helps..and you can always call and ask if you had any roaming charges within the past few days.
    04-04-09 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD