Hey guys, so fido says the only way to make calls through your router and your phone's wifi capabilities is buy purchasing a fido uno plan where you must pay a month to use voice on your phone using a router. Using a normal internet generic router, I connected my blackberry curve 8520 to it. I then disabled the fido network, seeing if it would work. And voila I made a car to fido using only the router and asked if I could do this without fido uno and they said "no". Even though I was calling them on strictly a router. My question is, does this mmean uma works with fido for free? Or is it still backinh up the router connection with the fido network even though I deleted it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 10:07 PM
    I think ur getting charged for the minutes but not sure cuz I haven't tried it before and I'm with fido also

03-15-10 08:54 AM
    Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) is available on several models of BlackBerry when your carrier has the infrastructure in place to support UMA.

UMA provides a seperate path for voice, sms text and data.

If you choose not to subscribe to TalkSpot/Uno service, you still have the benifit of a Wifi connection but without the unlimited local or national service.

Your voice will use your plan minunits, your text allowance and your data will continue to recoreded through UMA.
    03-15-10 09:49 AM
    If you choose not to subscribe to TalkSpot/Uno service, you still have the benifit of a Wifi connection but without the unlimited local or national service.

Your voice will use your plan minunits, your text allowance and your data will continue to recoreded through UMA.
    Thank you very much, Fido Customer service people do not know sh** about blackberries. They don't know about UMA or OS upgrades or anything lol. Thanks for the insight.
    03-15-10 12:30 PM
    do you have a data plan on FIDO?
    i can't seem to be able to use WiFi without a data plan
    but my router shows the phone connected and i can ping the phone
    04-12-10 11:49 AM
    do you have a data plan on FIDO?
    i can't seem to be able to use WiFi without a data plan
    but my router shows the phone connected and i can ping the phone
    When you have an active UMA connection, you have access to your data plan. If you do not have a data plan, you can still get a "uma" connection for Voice and SMS text only.

Your Wifi connection can be used by the Hotspot Browser, but none of the core or third party applications will be able to use it.
    04-12-10 11:59 AM
    I use wifi just fine without data. I can go on internet. Havemt tried app but bbm works. I have a data plan. And nurn off fido network when wifi is connected

04-12-10 02:38 PM
    Just got off the phone with Fido. I was just told that they no longer will off the Fido-UNO service. Can anyone confirm this?

Also they said even if they did offer it they wouldn't add it to my plan because I have an old city fido plan and that I wouldn't need it. What about when you leave your city and want to make calls from a hotspot?
    08-24-10 12:29 PM
    I noticed no more UMA (Fido) since yesterday eh, anyone else noticed this too?
    btw I did try battery pull, router reset etc.
    08-30-10 05:04 PM
    This question been raised in the Rogers Carrier sub-forum.

If you are experiencing UMA connection problems:

Connections / Wifi Options. Menu / Wifi Diagnostics.

There should be two green check marks and a Successfull connection status message.

Scroll down to UMA and check the status messages.

There are reports, a status messages: Not Allowed ... being displayed in place of the normal Not Available ... message.

I have been using Talkspot since it came out, without subscribing. Service stopped working Monday morning and I called tech support and was informed that as of Aug 23 2010, users must subscribe to a talkspot plan to access the UMA network. I talked to customer service and she has a $5/month Talkspot access plan that does not include any free calling. As soon as I added it and re-booted the phone.... Talkspot worked again.
    08-31-10 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD