If you see my profile, you'll know that I'm 3G -less; (8320). I have a really good friend who owns a BlackBerry (thanks to me) and uses Sprint and his 3G is really fast. I also read on a another thread here that the Cdma's(Sprint and Verizon) 3G is faster than the Gsm's (At&t and T-Mobile) 3G. If that's the case, then at&t is bluffing about their 3G being the nation's fastest. I was just curious and I know there are much more knowledgeable people than I who can shed some light. So what do you guy's think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 03:09 PM
    AT&T's HSDPA network is capable of faster speeds than that of its CDMA counterparts. As far as I know T-mobile also uses HSDPA but their coverage is seriously lacking...

Edit: At & t is upgrading their network to HSPA+ which is faster than HSDPA
    Last edited by JOE91313; 06-17-09 at 03:25 PM.
    06-17-09 03:22 PM
    (HSPA) Is that some kind of advanced 3G?

06-17-09 03:33 PM
    it is faster, but not by much

besides, who cares if its the fastest, when its also the smallest, besides T-Mobile, of course, I can show you a map of Verizon 3G only compared to AT&T 3G only, lets just say Verizon creams them
    06-17-09 03:36 PM
    "fastest" theoretical and "fastest" actual are two completely different things.

Stuff like reception and the handset matter more.
    06-17-09 04:14 PM
    HSDPA+ runs at a whopping 7.2 mbps. Bold, iPhone 3GS, and a few others will experience this later in the summer when AT&T rolls it out. Eat that CDMA 700kbps Sprint 3G, eat ****.

06-17-09 07:35 PM
    yeah sprint cant touch ATT in theoretical speeds, whenever a commercial is aired, there has to be some truth in it. So yeah they have the fastest 3g, and it will only get faster

and 3g coverage maps....why do people keep coming into ATT forums and dissing ATT about that? If you stay in an area that ATT gets covered, then...thats great
    06-17-09 11:18 PM
    yeah sprint cant touch ATT in theoretical speeds, whenever a commercial is aired, there has to be some truth in it. So yeah they have the fastest 3g, and it will only get faster

and 3g coverage maps....why do people keep coming into ATT forums and dissing ATT about that? If you stay in an area that ATT gets covered, then...thats great
    yeah, but if you travel, its not great
    06-17-09 11:26 PM
    who said he traveled. even if he does, dont say such things, ATT is solid in all the states I have visited. Instead of just whining in general, why not state specifics
    06-17-09 11:32 PM
    who said he traveled. even if he does, dont say such things, ATT is solid in all the states I have visited. Instead of just whining in general, why not state specifics
    you want specifics, look at the coverage maps, for 3G AT&T is clearly smaller than Verizon

but yes if you stay in the city you will be fine
    06-17-09 11:38 PM
    06-17-09 11:43 PM
    HSDPA+ runs at a whopping 7.2 mbps. Bold, iPhone 3GS, and a few others will experience this later in the summer when AT&T rolls it out. Eat that CDMA 700kbps Sprint 3G, eat ****.

theoretical speeds are never going to be seen by the end user. way to many variables.

EDGE can carry data speeds up to 236.8 kbit/s (with end-to-end latency of less than 150 ms) for 4 timeslots (theoretical maximum is 473.6 kbit/s for 8 timeslots) in packet mode, according to wikipedia. speedtests performed over and over again on my handset usually vary between 150-200kbit/s.

as for the AT&T vs Sprint arguement...i ran a few speed tests on 3G and got roughly 650kbit/s over and over. my buddy on his BB 8330 on Sprint (EVDO-rev. 0) peaks out at 270 kbit/s or so on average. i dont know how fast rev. a is though.
    06-17-09 11:54 PM

So, my Bold will be able to utilize the new HSDP+ technology? That is great, if it is true. Somewhere, I thought I read that it wouldn't.
    06-18-09 04:11 PM
    Yeah Bold is 7.2mbps capable.
    06-18-09 04:40 PM
    Since tmo uses Hsdpa for 3G, can their 3G network be potentially as fast as at&t?

06-18-09 04:49 PM
    Not likely due to the coverage.
    06-18-09 05:37 PM
    I've had Sprint and ATT ..... ATT is by far faster than my old Sprint was. I was using the Instinct and now am on an iPhone..
    06-18-09 11:13 PM
    Compared to Verizon, I don't think so. IMO, Verizon has the 3G league beat. However, I've noticed it varies between phones. If you put an iPhone up against a Storm, the results are fairly the same. Bold vs Storm (ATT vs Verizon), Storm wins hands down. It also varies on coverage. I can put my friends' iPhone 3G next to my Storm in my room, and his iPhone doesn't get anything. I get 3 bars. I would be willing to wager that AT&T isn't the fastest.
    06-18-09 11:38 PM
    Yeah Bold is 7.2mbps capable.
    Thanks! I am happier than ever now with my choice of going with the Bold.
    06-19-09 12:02 PM
    ATT is fast, and it hasn't even reached its full potential yet, this summer it will only get faster
    06-19-09 01:04 PM
    ATT is fast, and it hasn't even reached its full potential yet, this summer it will only get faster

yeah, how long will it take them to deploy that nationwide, they have not even finished their regular 3G network, they really need to focus on coverage instead of speed
    06-19-09 01:37 PM
    yeah, how long will it take them to deploy that nationwide, they have not even finished their regular 3G network, they really need to focus on coverage instead of speed
    It addresses both though to some extent. Switching to 850hz will give better coverage for a lot of people.
    06-19-09 01:39 PM
    It addresses both though to some extent. Switching to 850hz will give better coverage for a lot of people.
    but how much, will AT&T 3G be available outside of medium to large cities now
    06-19-09 01:56 PM
    but how much, will AT&T 3G be available outside of medium to large cities now
    Not like I can speculate the difference right now and be correct...

But 850mhz has wider coverage and will be better indoors also (since coverage isn't only about width).
    06-19-09 02:02 PM
    Not like I can speculate the difference right now and be correct...

But 850mhz has wider coverage and will be better indoors also (since coverage isn't only about width).
    so technically, it should be better

I just wonder how long it will take them to deploy a nationwide 850MHz network

I am actually consdering switching to someone else, I have been with Alltel 18 years, but I really do not like Verizon's price plans, idk, I might stay, I am not going to AT&T unless they have 3G throughout my state, like Alltel does
    06-19-09 02:14 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD