I will be traveling to the Ukraine next week and would like to use my Blackberry Curve 8310 while in country.

I called AT&T and they said it would be $3.49 a minute.

I asked for the unlock code and they gave me one...free.

I read the directions and I am uncomfortable with the directions. I don't want to render my phone useless in a foreign country.

Do I have to unluck the phone right before I put a new Sim card in it or can I do it now and will it be recognized when I turn it on with the new card when I get to the Ukraine next week.

Here are the directions AT&T sent me:
    Start with phone off.

1. Insert AT&T SIM card. (is this when I insert new sim card behind the battery)?

2. Power phone on and turn off the radio (Turn Wireless Off option) Very Important.
    **Means turning off the Internet connection**

3. Select Options and then Advanced Options.

4. Scroll down and select SIM Card.

5. Hold down the ALT key and type "MEPD" (why hold the ALT key...don't they mean SHIFT?)
    This will not display on screen.

6. Hold down the ALT key and type "MEP2"
    This will not display on screen.

7. Enter the Unlock Code:

8. Press Enter.

9. Reboot device. Device is now unlocked.

Now assuming the device is unlocked with the new sim card in it, I will probably buy a card there with prepaid time on it. I don't want to start a contract because I will only be there for 5 days.

Can this be done with the 8310. I had a cell phone I borrowed over there and did this with that phone but don't know if I can do it with the Curve.

Please help
    Last edited by daveglick; 10-10-08 at 03:24 PM.
    10-10-08 03:22 PM
    Lets start at #5. All you have to do is type MEPD (no caps or shift)

#6 Type MEP & then for the number "2" hit alt then E for the number 2. (no caps / shift needed as well, just alt for the number two)

#7 Enter the code

#8 Press Enter

#9 Reboot and viola. You can test it out with a T-mobile sim card if you'd like.

Duvi
    10-11-08 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD