I noticed yesterday that my new BB Tour was on AT&T's network and I can assume it was using the GSM radio because my Verizon service was weak (was in a train tunnel). If I use the phone while in this mode will I get nailed with roaming? Does it make sense to force the phone to 1XEV or should I just leave it on Global? I mean I'd rather take advantage of the service if it's available but if it's not then I don't want to be charged
    07-19-09 10:56 PM
    How did you know it was ATT's network? Like even when your CDMA roaming on Alltel (ha) Sprint what have you it should read extended network.
    07-19-09 10:59 PM
    It specifically said it was on AT&T's network. Data was disabled, but it would let me make phone calls.
    07-19-09 11:11 PM
    So your bars of signal in the upper right said ATT? I'm not 100% on the roaming with GSM coverage but regardless in the US you should not incur roaming charges. However, I'll say if your phone does on the off chance happen to say ATT I from personal experience (feel free anyone who has used it to correct me) would say your phone will not work even if it says it has signal.
    07-19-09 11:35 PM
    I didnt know the Tour operated on any stateside gsm bands. Most interesting.
    07-20-09 12:03 AM
    Nah I just had full bars. When I looked under "Manage Connections" it said the network was ATT.
    07-20-09 12:04 AM
    Last I checked we do not have roaming agreements with AT&T, so use at own risk!

Though, on the plus side, if it's finding a tower it can actually latch onto, at least it's not wasting power looking for nonexistant signals. I usually recommend leaving global phones on 1xEV if you're not outside of the country.
    07-20-09 12:48 AM
    I didnt know the Tour operated on any stateside gsm bands. Most interesting.
    The only GSM that won't work in north america is 3G, for which the Tour only supports the 2100 band.
    07-20-09 12:52 AM
    I usually recommend leaving global phones on 1xEV if you're not outside of the country.
    Agreed. My Storm seems to be happier and get better battery life when it's left on 1XEV. No need for it to look for GSM bands when you can't even use that service.
    07-20-09 06:58 AM
    Change the setting in Options to 1XEV and then no worries. Switch to global if offshore.
    07-20-09 09:51 AM
    To the OP if your phone is on the ATT network and it works go for it. That's assuming you have a nationwide plan.....
    Ignore the nonsense before my post and right after yours.... I have personally roamed on and made calls with my GSM Bold on the Alltel network which happens to be CDMA with no issues at all

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by giantfan30; 07-20-09 at 09:59 AM.
    07-20-09 09:56 AM
    To the OP if your phone is on the ATT network and it works go for it. That's assuming you have a nationwide plan.....
    Ignore the nonsense before my post and right after yours.... I have personally roamed on and made calls with my GSM Bold on the Alltel network which happens to be CDMA with no issues at all
    Impossible. The Bold only supports GSM and UMTS. The only way your Bold could roam onto the Alltel network is if Alltel maintains GSM infrastructure for roaming revenues. Twins?

To the OP ... if your phone roams onto AT&T and you are able to place a non-emergency call (which I don't think it will let you), I'd be very nervous about some high roaming charges. While the Storm can use North American GSM bands, you would need to unlock your Storm and use a SIM that's provisioned to use North American GSM Networks. The VZW/Vodaphone SIM that comes with the Storm/Tour/8830 doesn't authorize you to use the GSM networks in North America.
    07-20-09 10:04 AM
    Ignore the nonsense before my post and right after yours....
    I think everyone would be better served by ignoring the nonsense within your posts. You really should learn to limit yourself to only commenting on those things you know at least a little bit about. Cell phones obviously are not on that list.

07-20-09 02:48 PM

Totally incorrect info. Unbelievable

07-20-09 04:07 PM
    Out of cell coverage area (still no GSM) for three days & ilook what I get to return to...

Probable overkill, but hey - I love quotes.

A man is never more truthful than when he acknowledges himself a liar.
    Can you be truthful?

The reason we hold truth in such respect is because we have so little opportunity to get familiar with it.
    At least while in your world.

The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool.[Stephen King]
    I am neither innocent, nor do I trust you.

Familiarity breeds contempt - and children.
    Would you parents have dared being so familiar had they known the deceit that would come forth?
    I heard the bells on Christmas Day. Their old, familiar carols play. And wild and sweet the words repeat. Of peace on earth, goodwill to men!
    With the unbelievably deceptive things you've uttered, it is difficult to believe you hold any goodwill toward others.

Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none.
    Forgive me if I doubt your ability to accomplish any of Mr. Franklin's advice.

It is always the best policy to speak the truth--unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar.
    And you are not.

Be mild with the mild, shrewd with the crafty, confiding to the honest, rough to the ruffian, and a thunderbolt to the liar. But in all this, never be unmindful of your own dignity.
    Do you have any to be mindful of?

It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf.
    And it is impossible to imagine you being good at cell phone service or info.

The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom.
    Either that or you've not yet reached that age of wisdom.

The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has.
    Don't know how this affected you, but I figured I'd toss it in for good measure.

The visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others.
    A visionary you are not.

Definition of Liar:

A person who knowingly utters falsehood; one who lies.

While I am unsure you knowingly utter such things, it is obvious that you do write them.

The Bold, in its current form, will never work on any CDMA network. Those who have a Bold should know this if they know anything at all about mobile service or radio technology.

To say the Bold will work on CDMA is like saying you drove youe SeaRay boat to work on I-10 in Oklahoma - you don't drive boats on the Interstate system & I-10 comes nowhere near Oklahoma.

Now, this doesn't mean you can't use a Bold on VZW properties, since VZW does own and maintain some GSM properties acquired through buyouts. But you're not getting that Bold or Tilt or whatever to work on any CDMA network.

As two good folks stated:

Totally incorrect info. Unbelievable
    I think everyone would be better served by ignoring the nonsense within your posts. You really should learn to limit yourself to only commenting on those things you know at least a little bit about. Cell phones obviously are not on that list.
    Bear in mind, if you spoke in error or inebriation, so be it. But to summarily dismiss a whole range of responses, then to offer completely faulty info of your own...

07-20-09 06:21 PM
    Nice hit job Twins.
    07-20-09 07:24 PM
    you would have to have an ATT SIM card and have the device unlocked, it's not something that will just "toggle" back and forth, it would require action on your behalf to initiate the change.

did you buy this phone from VZW or a 3rd party?
    07-20-09 09:04 PM
    you would have to have an ATT SIM card and have the device unlocked, it's not something that will just "toggle" back and forth, it would require action on your behalf to initiate the change.

did you buy this phone from VZW or a 3rd party?
    It could also be a location issue - don't forget that VZW has some GSM properties and now AT&T has some CDMA towers picked up from the VZW/Alltel transaction.

However, I don't think they'd have the tower IDs switched so quickly - they could, but I doubt it. AT&T is typically very slow at most everything they do.

07-20-09 09:27 PM
    agreed, i'd still like to know where the phone came from. maybe purchased 3rd party unlocked and user left active SIM in the device on accident? idk, it's hard to say...but again, no roaming agreement, under Nationwide coverage roaming is blocked to prevent additional charges, only VZW home or extended network coverage works domestically. unless that doesn't apply to GSM coverage.
    07-20-09 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD