So I was wondering if it was possible to remove the gsm antenna, and hack in a cdma antenna, would that allow the Torch to be usable on CDMA? Believe me, I understand soldering vital components would be needed, but I am curious if this is at all even possible? Thought it would be a great winter project if I could get some input more on the matter.
    12-12-10 02:01 PM
    I'm sure it would take more than changing the antenna. I would guess it would also take replacing the communications chip on the mother board (if a CDMA chip that was compatible with the Torch is available).
    12-12-10 02:12 PM
    It would take the antenna, radio, and custom software to control the radio, in addition to some very intricate soldering/messing with surface mount connectors/resistors and the like which are a pita...

In other words: not going to happen unless RIM decides to manufacture one that way...
    12-12-10 02:23 PM
    Understood; basically more work then it is worth
    12-12-10 02:27 PM
    Don't think so.. if it was easy somebody would have done it by now.
    12-12-10 02:38 PM
    the phones hardware and software require a SIM card to access the GSM network. verizon doesnt use them. not to mention, the phone isnt assigned an ESN or whatever it is you CDMA people call it these days. the phone would never be able to be used on the CDMA network. you would need to replace nearly ALL internals and the software, which would leave you with just the housing. now, if someone could retrofit Storm II or Style internals into the Torch housing, that could work. but it would be impractical, missing features and pointless. you would have to use the Storm II screen and internals and OS, but then you couldnt use the keypad from the Style since the OS on the Storm isnt configured for it.

basically.....NO

i used to retrofit the US version Nokia 7190 and 7160 internals into the pushbutton slider housing of the Euro 7110. but that was totally different since the housings were basically all the same. it did require some modification. if there was a somewhat similarly shaped device that was CDMA (touchscreen/slider), i would say its possible. but since there isnt, you cannot do it.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 12-13-10 at 12:36 AM.
    12-13-10 12:32 AM
    It actually may be possible. But BIS i dont think so.
    It's been done with a Palm Pre 2(GSM) And Palm Pre(Sprint)
    12-14-10 07:23 AM
    That phone isn't worth the effort. In fact, no phone is.
    12-14-10 07:26 AM
    So I was wondering if it was possible to remove the gsm antenna, and hack in a cdma antenna, would that allow the Torch to be usable on CDMA? Believe me, I understand soldering vital components would be needed, but I am curious if this is at all even possible? Thought it would be a great winter project if I could get some input more on the matter.
    Are you related to debsbb? She thinks the same thing "switch out the GSM parts for CDMA parts." Others already posted why it wouldn't work but still...
    12-14-10 12:19 PM
    This is impossible.

Even if you somehow cludged the parts in, the phone doesn't support it.

The software doesn't support it.

I don't think RIM could do it themselves. They could build a new phone to do it, but I doubt they could modify a Torch post production hardware wise to work on a CDMA network.
    12-14-10 02:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD