To the point:

After the TM conversion,
    will that mean that the BOLD will be able to use 3G ???

I assume that there will be a service book upgrade since my unlocked ATT Bold has no known change function from EDGE to 3G
    08-03-09 09:34 PM
    Tmobile only acquired the 1700Mhz band so they could enter a contract for roaming with the Japanese.
    Pretty amazing. Is this true that the 1700 band is used in Japan?
    08-04-09 02:34 AM
    To the point:

After the TM conversion,

I assume that there will be a service book upgrade since my unlocked ATT Bold has no known change function from EDGE to 3G
    AT&T managed to block it out but if you install OS .282, you'll have that feature. I have a Bold from Orange, and I keep mine on 2G-only mode while I'm in the US.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 06:12 AM
    Japanese has 1700 mhz, which is eMobile there but people have been claiming that its diff than tmobile 1700mhz

08-04-09 06:39 AM
    and I have 3G FINALLY on my G1....for the first time.....woop woop
    08-04-09 07:58 AM
    To the point:

After the TM conversion,

No. There is NO CONVERSION. Period. Nor will there EVER be. Period.
    Last edited by reuthermonkey; 08-06-09 at 09:45 AM.
    08-06-09 09:39 AM
    No. There is NO CONVERSION. Period. Nor will there EVER be. Period.

How do you know this?
    08-06-09 11:48 AM
    How do you know this?
    1. A simple understanding of how cellular networks work.
    2. An even simpler understanding of how businesses work (to make a profit, not to shut down all operations to convert to a band the FCC hasn't allocated to make it easier for unlocked phones to use their network rather than having to purchase TMO-branded 3g phones at a higher profit to TMO)
    3. And an understanding of history (If TMO can do this, why did they waste everyone's time not doing this from the start 2 years ago? Why do it now when chipmakers have already started making radios for the AWS band? It would have made a lot more sense to do this when there weren't any AWS 3g phones).

Really, you don't have to believe me. In fact, if anyone believes that TMO is switching bands after they've invested lots of money purchasing hardware and getting new phones for their AWS band network, then go ahead and buy yourself a couple 3g blackberries or other euro Band I handsets and sit tight.

Just because it's technically possible doesn't mean it's going to happen. After all, it's technically possible for them to use UMTS Band II along with ATT, yet they haven't done that either...
    Last edited by reuthermonkey; 08-06-09 at 02:10 PM.
    08-06-09 01:58 PM
    This would be pretty interesting if it were true, but I agree... Why would T-mo do this? Now?
    08-06-09 04:31 PM
    Sorry guys, Tmo didn�t pay billions for AWS just for 'japanese roaming.' The BB Driftwood will support 1700 AWS later this year when it launches.
    We've read that T-Mobile bought the bands they bought for financial reasons and that they were *alledgedly* out bid by Verizon and AT&T. I don't know if this is true or accurate but that is what I read.

We now know that AT&T and T-Mobile apparently will no longer have compatible 3G networks.

What I'm most interested in is this Japanese roaming stuff. Will T-Mobile's 3G phones actually be "roamable" in Japan?

08-06-09 06:24 PM
    We now know that AT&T and T-Mobile apparently will no longer have compatible 3G networks.
    They never have (correct me if I'm wrong).

What I'm most interested in is this Japanese roaming stuff. Will T-Mobile's 3G phones actually be "roamable" in Japan?
    They should work over there now. I know the G1 should. I don't see the point in manufacturing a 3G phone for a GSM network without including 2100 functionality.
    08-06-09 06:44 PM
    They never have (correct me if I'm wrong).
    I should have worded that better.

I am aware that AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G networks are not compatible and never have been which is the reason you cannot run an AT&T Bold on T-Mobile's 3G network. Yes the Bold can access T-Mobile's Edge, but not their 3G.
    08-06-09 10:07 PM
    What about the 9630?

Will an unlocked unit be able to utilize 3G on T Mobile in the 2100 MHZ band? It apparently has all of the common GSM Bands including the 3G bands in the GSM spectrum.

I was considering buying the 9630 and unlocking it, using it on TMO. If I decide to leave then I was thinking I could switch it to Verizon.
    08-10-09 01:35 AM
    What about the 9630?

Will an unlocked unit be able to utilize 3G on T Mobile in the 2100 MHZ band? It apparently has all of the common GSM Bands including the 3G bands in the GSM spectrum.

I was considering buying the 9630 and unlocking it, using it on TMO. If I decide to leave then I was thinking I could switch it to Verizon.
    That would work just fine.

08-10-09 05:05 AM
    What about the 9630?

That would work just fine.

Jesus... Are you trying to misinform everyone or what? Do you work for ATT or VZW?

No. No it will not because T-Mobile USA does NOT and will not run a UMTS Band I ("2100") 3g network.
    The tour only specifies:
    "Single-Band: 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks"

No 3g network in the United States will EVER be UMTS Band I ("2100"). Why? Because it's not a business decision. It's thanks to the FCC.

Do you all seriously think that TMO chose to use the 1700 band even though they supposedly could have had a 2100 band network, but they just wanted to be different?
    08-10-09 08:22 AM
    TM is smart to open the new 3G band. It will bring them new business. In the case of the Bold type phones, they will be able to take away ATT customers by offering BB phones that are currently on the market without modification. Also, they will be conforming to their (TM) European standards; all the TM 3G phones will be usable on all countries.
    08-10-09 10:22 AM
    Jesus... Are you trying to misinform everyone or what? Do you work for ATT or VZW?

No. No it will not because T-Mobile USA does NOT and will not run a UMTS Band I ("2100") 3g network.
    The tour only specifies:

No 3g network in the United States will EVER be UMTS Band I ("2100"). Why? Because it's not a business decision. It's thanks to the FCC.

Do you all seriously think that TMO chose to use the 1700 band even though they supposedly could have had a 2100 band network, but they just wanted to be different?
    Reread what was asked and what I wrote.

If T-Mobile USA were in fact to operate on the UMTS 2100 band, the same in use in Europe and Asia, then it would work just fine.
    08-10-09 12:13 PM

The tour only specifies:

Don't get your panties in a wad,It's not a big deal and your taking this simple conversation way too seriously.
    08-10-09 12:27 PM
    It may be a simple conversation, but this has been brought up on other forums as "fact", and not "hypotheticals" thanks to a number of posters presenting it as such - yourself included.

When you refer to a "t-mobile engineer" saying all of this and then the 3rd post "confirming" it
    Yes this is correct. The new 3g services that are launching run on 2100 Mhz

(t-mobile employee)
    it goes beyond hypotheticals into misinformation.

You didn't say "wouldn't it be awesome if T-Mo's network were 2100mhz!?". You didn't say "Isn't it technically feasible for them to have a 2100mhz network?". You said
    Tmobile is planning on using their 2100Mhz 3G service for both upstream and downstream in the next 6months to 1 year...
    ...in the near future devices such as the iPhone and other 3G enabled devices would work on Tmobile USA.
    Those are statements of fact - not "Gee- what if...".

And those statements are false.
    Last edited by reuthermonkey; 08-11-09 at 10:27 AM.
    08-11-09 10:23 AM
    It may be a simple conversation, but this has been brought up on other forums as "fact", and not "hypotheticals" thanks to a number of posters presenting it as such - yourself included.

When you refer to a "t-mobile engineer" saying all of this and then the 3rd post "confirming" it it goes beyond hypotheticals into misinformation.

You didn't say "wouldn't it be awesome if T-Mo's network were 2100mhz!?". You didn't say "Isn't it technically feasible for them to have a 2100mhz network?". You said
    Those are statements of fact - not "Gee- what if...".

And those statements are false.

Your way over thinking here. I never stated it was a fact, I talked to a guy who worked in R&D at Tmobile and that's what he told me.
    I didn't say it was the gospel.

sit back and relax drink a beer maybe take a xanax and chill out.
    But don't get so worked up over what some people say on an internet forum.
    08-11-09 11:12 AM
    Even my old 8707 will make the cut.

8707 is not a 3G phone
    08-11-09 11:52 AM
    8707 is not a 3G phone
    This says otherwise:
    08-11-09 01:22 PM
    Your way over thinking here. I never stated it was a fact, I talked to a guy who worked in R&D at Tmobile and that's what he told me.
    I didn't say it was the gospel.

sit back and relax drink a beer maybe take a xanax and chill out.
    But don't get so worked up over what some people say on an internet forum.
    Really its no skin off my back if someone reads your thread and goes out and buys themselves a handful of euro 3g phones only to find out that they won't work on TMO USA (or any other carrier in North America). I almost regret even posting in this thread to inform the misinformed - god forbid I try to inject a crazy thing like "reality" into it. I guess i totally harshed your mellow, dude.

Duly noted.
    Next time I see a thread about how "TMO has 1900mhz spectrum, and i heard that they're gonna have a 3g network thats compatible with ATT", i'll be sure to step aside and watch the misinformation flow freely.
    08-11-09 01:27 PM
    Ruethermonkey correct me if I'm wrong here but, didn't AT&T Wireless launch UMTS services in the US FY2005 strictly using the existing 1900 MHz spectrum allocated for 2G PCS. Then when Cingular acquired AT&T Wireless they launched UMTS in a few US cities. Now starting on F07 ATT rolls out its UMTS network at 850 MHz to enhance its existing UMTS network at 1900 MHz and is now offering heir customers UMTS 850/1900 phones.

T-Mobile's rollout of UMTS in the US will be the 2100/1700 MHz bands, and UMTS coverage in Canada is being provided on the 850 MHz band with Rogers.

Cuz thats what US FCC shows
    08-15-09 06:07 PM
    I would be interested in seeing how AT&T does with that 850MHZ spectrum on penetrating dense walls and steel structures. The higher frequency spectrum T-Mobile uses is the reason they have reception issues unless very near a tower.
    08-15-09 06:18 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD