01-25-16 05:52 PM
47 12
tools
    Right... Tmo... who's been lowering prices on just about everything... dropping costly contracts... eliminating roaming charges... forcing other carriers to do the same... is all of a sudden going to RAISE the price of one device?

Maybe? Makes about as much sense as everything else Chen has been spewing of late.

Or... more probably... maybe the ridiculous exclusive he gave big blue (read "same mistakes over and over and over and over again") forced him to raise the price when Tmobile starts to sell it.

Sorry... but carrier relationships are very definitely Chen's responsibility... and if he can't handle it then he's sitting in the wrong chair.

Posted via CB10
    It is difficult to kick hind quarters when nobody gives a fecal matter about you. I can see the Legere/Chen meeting, with Chen's opening line being "Let's see what we can do to both make money." Tim Cook probably starts meetings with "Look, this is what is going to happen."

Chen stopped (hopefully) the BlackBerry death spiral. To do so, BlackBerry is peddling software in addition to handsets, so handsets have less importance in the scheme of things. And I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea. I just wish they would add a non-keyboard phone to the mix with band 12 support.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-16 02:34 AM
    I am sure the markup is probably so TMO makes money on top of what they are buying the devices for from BlackBerry.
    Plus it makes sense to sell them outright for high because TMO wants people to be locked in for 2 years by paying monthly on the device.
    So I am betting that the price falls squarely on TMO.
    01-20-16 07:10 AM
    Usually Tmo will price a phone high on the release date. Later, they will offer promo codes to give a deal on the older models. They have a lot of Samsungs they still want to sell off...
    01-20-16 11:27 AM
    Unlimited on TMO I: $70
    Unlimited on TMO II: $80
    Unlimited on TMO III: $95

Jump I on TMO: $10/month, upgrade after 6 months
    Jump II on TMO: $10/month+pay off 50% of the phone's cost to upgrade

Priv STV100-1 on AT&T: $739.99
    Priv STV100-1 on TMO: $719.99

The more the wall knows.
    xRuhRohx likes this.
    01-20-16 11:29 AM
    The concept of renting a phone (Jump!) doesn't appeal much to me.
    01-20-16 12:45 PM
    Right... Tmo... who's been lowering prices on just about everything... dropping costly contracts... eliminating roaming charges... forcing other carriers to do the same... is all of a sudden going to RAISE the price of one device?

Maybe? Makes about as much sense as everything else Chen has been spewing of late.

Or... more probably... maybe the ridiculous exclusive he gave big blue (read "same mistakes over and over and over and over again") forced him to raise the price when Tmobile starts to sell it.

Sorry... but carrier relationships are very definitely Chen's responsibility... and if he can't handle it then he's sitting in the wrong chair.

Posted via CB10
    Relationships yes. how they price thier phones, no. Legere has been nothing but hostile until recently to blackberry so why would you not blame legere and tmo for this silliness? I agree completely that Chen made a huge mistake for giving exclusivity to att for this phone, but right now there is nothing that we can do about that, so im moving on. in regards to apple, legere and the rest of the carries basically have to follow what they are told to do by apple or risk loosing access to anything they make.
    01-20-16 02:38 PM
    Aaand TMO just ended 4 for $120 quietly, making it 4 for $140. "Chairman Chen" is taking over, y'all.
    01-20-16 03:32 PM
    https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/priv.htm

PRIV by BlackBerry will be available in T-Mobile stores nationwide and online at T-Mobile.com. To get the PRIV with JUMP! On Demand, customers can visit their local T-Mobile store or call 1-877-413-5903. Qualifying customers can also purchase the PRIV with T-Mobile’s interest-free financing for $0 down + $30 x 24 months (FRP: $719.99).

Limited time offers; subject to change. Device pricing for well-qualified customers. Tax additional. Qual’g service req’d. JUMP! On Demand: $34/mo for 18-mo lease; at end you must return working device or pay it off to keep it. Upgrade eligible device up to 3 times/12 mos. If you cancel wireless service, you must contact us before switching carriers or remaining payments become due. Equipment Installment Plan: 0% APR; O.A.C. If you cancel wireless service remaining balance becomes due.
    01-20-16 07:39 PM
    Well, looks like Jump is higher monthly payments but cheaper to pay off total - 34 x 18 = $612. $108 difference.
    raino likes this.
    01-20-16 07:40 PM
    Well, looks like Jump is higher monthly payments but cheaper to pay off total - 34 x 18 = $612. $108 difference.
    Chen's fault, obviously
    01-20-16 07:47 PM
    Chen's fault, obviously
    Make him stop it.
    raino likes this.
    01-20-16 08:00 PM
    I really want a Priv. But can't justify buying device #4 within 14 months (Z30, red Passport, Nexus 5).

On the other hand, I like vanilla marshmallow on the Nexus 5 and played with the Priv at a att store. I guess I could sell a Z10 and the Z30 or Nexus.

Passport (red)/Z30-5/Z10-3/Nexus 5 (6.0)
    01-20-16 09:20 PM
    The concept of renting a phone (Jump!) doesn't appeal much to me.
    if there's another high end BlackBerry device that comes out next year, then go jump program makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-16 11:11 PM
    I trawl the Reddit Tmo group and the number of people who have had these Tmo deals screwed up isn't insignificant. I don't recall any posts ever about trouble with Tmo financing, but absolutely problems with jump, which I think is also "jump on demand." Plenty of problems with buying out ETFs.

Hopefully my Harbor Mobile plan won't be dropped. It will never get upgraded. For instance, I still have the 5gbyte tether limit.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 02:26 AM
    https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/priv.htm

PRIV by BlackBerry will be available in T-Mobile stores nationwide and online at T-Mobile.com. To get the PRIV with JUMP! On Demand, customers can visit their local T-Mobile store or call 1-877-413-5903. Qualifying customers can also purchase the PRIV with T-Mobile’s interest-free financing for $0 down + $30 x 24 months (FRP: $719.99).

Limited time offers; subject to change. Device pricing for well-qualified customers. Tax additional. Qual’g service req’d. JUMP! On Demand: $34/mo for 18-mo lease; at end you must return working device or pay it off to keep it. Upgrade eligible device up to 3 times/12 mos. If you cancel wireless service, you must contact us before switching carriers or remaining payments become due. Equipment Installment Plan: 0% APR; O.A.C. If you cancel wireless service remaining balance becomes due.
    Im still debating if i should wait and see what the supposed price drop will be around mwc or just buy the phone. hopefully my patience wins out...
    01-21-16 09:00 AM
    01-21-16 03:41 PM
    don't see a major drop in the price. it might go to 650 or 670.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 04:04 PM
    don't see a major drop in the price. it might go to 650 or 670.

Posted via CB10
    Let's hope your latest track record with predictions doesn't change....

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 11:28 PM
    BlackBerry priv is a premium device. we want quality, we have to pay for it.

Posted via CB10
    My point....they will always be high priced no matter what.

I got 99 problems. My Blackberry ain't 1.~Z30
    01-22-16 04:16 PM
    From Reddit, it seems like stores are just getting their stocks (i.e. today.)
    01-25-16 03:12 PM
    I am hoping something shows up on their website in the morning? All the media hype said the 26th was the day the Priv would launch! That day is tomorrow, so we shall see.
    01-25-16 05:24 PM
    Yeah this seems accurate, I called my T-mo guy that always hooks it up. He said they have them in stock now only 2 in his store tho. I asked him if i could stop buy and get it and he said not until tomorrow
    01-25-16 05:52 PM
47 12