Hey, anyone who picked one up today, what's the OS version on it?

I'm guessing AAD164.
    01-26-16 10:58 AM
    Yeah I�ve read your comment in four threads now.

Poetry in Motion
    I've been using a Sennheiser Presence BT for a few months now. It is excellent. It has a rather large driver so the music, albeit one eared, sounds good. The MEMS microphones don't pop or have wind noise issues.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 11:11 AM

I'm guessing AAD164.
    AAD442, according to a new owner, and TMO's support documentation.
    01-26-16 01:44 PM
    AAD442, according to a new owner, and TMO's support documentation.
    Correct, on mine as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 02:34 PM
    I read the specs on TMO website today and no mention about WiFi calling! I am ready to give up on my PP and try the Priv only if WiFi calling is supported or when it is going to be.

Posted via CB10 with BlackBerry PP
    01-26-16 03:09 PM

I'm guessing AAD164.
    You are right. Here is a screenshot I took before updating it, it was 73mb update.
    Attached Thumbnails Tmo Priv?-1453874764827.jpg  
    01-27-16 12:06 AM
    I honestly don't feel like wifi calling is even needed unless of course there are areas where you have access to wifi and don't get TMO service.
    But as time goes on, those areas are getting smaller and smaller.
    01-27-16 08:45 AM
    Like my house in the middle of rural nowhere?!

My kids got Galaxy S6s for Christmas and report occasional bars (thanks to band 12?), but until proven otherwise, I am needing wfc.
    01-27-16 08:52 AM
    I honestly don't feel like wifi calling is even needed unless of course there are areas where you have access to wifi and don't get TMO service.
    But as time goes on, those areas are getting smaller and smaller.
    Really? I'm smack in Southern California, in Malibu, crazy hill configuration all around. We get no carrier's signal reliably. Five minute's drive, great signal... but I don't live five minutes away.
    lift likes this.
    01-27-16 08:58 AM
    Thanks, Kwms. I'd really rather read something a couple times than miss it!

That said, I have never used a set of stock earbuds. I am pretty dedicated to yurbuds. Or Bose QC if I need the world to disappear?!
    Last edited by Wikichick; 01-27-16 at 09:31 AM.
    01-27-16 08:59 AM
    Like my house in the middle of rural nowhere?!

My kids got Galaxy S6s for Christmas and report occasional bars (thanks to band 12?), but until proven otherwise, I am needing wfc.
    Unlocked BlackBerry Priv is fully compatible with T-Mobile, including band 12 LTE and Wi-Fi calling � TmoNews
    Wikichick likes this.
    01-27-16 09:03 AM
    I read the specs on TMO website today and no mention about WiFi calling! I am ready to give up on my PP and try the Priv only if WiFi calling is supported or when it is going to be.

If you're asking if the PRIV has WiFi calling it does. I was connected while at home yesterday. I didn't actually make a call but it said it was connected.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    raino likes this.
    01-27-16 11:11 AM
    It's great to have internationally as well. With the newer plans, you get unlimited 2G or better in a lot of overseas destinations, and with the WiFi calling option, it becomes even harder to justify taking the T-Mobile SIM card out and buying a local one.
    Wikichick likes this.
    01-27-16 11:28 AM
    You'd be surprised at how many Gov/Mil/security contracts still use T-Mo service solely because WFC can be used underground or impenetrable buildings where no one gets tower coverage. As raino mentioned, it also works great internationally and at 35,000 feet.

Once the industry shifts entirely to IMS, you could see the demise of towers and an increase in small cells, micro cells and wifi-calling. Towers are dinosaurs; expensive to maintain, a pain to install and unsightly. Kiss 'em goodbye.
    01-27-16 12:01 PM
    You'd be surprised at how many Gov/Mil/security contracts still use T-Mo service solely because WFC can be used underground or impenetrable buildings where no one gets tower coverage.
    Provided the traffic is reasonably secured (and I'm willing to bet that the gov/mil went beyond 'reasonable,' to make sure) isn't WFC a safer solution than tower-based calling, you know...with the existence of Stingray types of devices and all? I guess fake WiFi networks could be an issue, but, again, if the content is secured, it shouldn't matter too much?

I guess what I'm asking is that is call traffic over WFC secured better by TMO than it is over their towers? What about text messages?
    01-27-16 12:52 PM
    Provided the traffic is reasonably secured (and I'm willing to bet that the gov/mil went beyond 'reasonable,' to make sure) isn't WFC a safer solution than tower-based calling, you know...with the existence of Stingray types of devices and all? I guess fake WiFi networks could be an issue, but, again, if the content is secured, it shouldn't matter too much?

I guess what I'm asking is that is call traffic over WFC secured better by TMO than it is over their towers? What about text messages?
    I'm not entirely sure on that. Because WiFi and wireless is not secured at all. We aren't even allowed to use wireless mice and keyboards or blue tooth due to the possibility of being hacked or vulnerable. And electronic devices are not allowed in any briefing that includes secret or top secret briefings. If someone is in a hardened bunker they would have access to secure land lines. Now I could see them using WiFi calling for when they do world travel to keep costs down. But I'm the equipment custodian for my squadron in the air force and deal with all the iPhones and can tell you now that Verizon and ATT are the only authorized carriers atm. Sprint used to have the contract but we're breaching it hardcore with some shady billing and other stuff (go figure) so we just swapped to Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 01:06 PM
    I'm not entirely sure on that. Because WiFi and wireless is not secured at all. We aren't even allowed to use wireless mice and keyboards or blue tooth due to the possibility of being hacked or vulnerable. And electronic devices are not allowed in any briefing that includes secret or top secret briefings. If someone is in a hardened bunker they would have access to secure land lines. Now I could see them using WiFi calling for when they do world travel to keep costs down. But I'm the equipment custodian for my squadron in the air force and deal with all the iPhones and can tell you now that Verizon and ATT are the only authorized carriers atm. Sprint used to have the contract but we're breaching it hardcore with some shady billing and other stuff (go figure) so we just swapped to Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    Some bases have no wifi. Others have wifi at the BX. Nellis is an interesting case since they have wifi for mechanics to order parts, but otherwise wifi is not allowed. They ran an article a few years ago about the poor dude that has to survey the base searching for illegal wifi.

Posted via CB10
    grumpyaeroguy likes this.
    01-27-16 04:20 PM
    Some bases have no wifi. Others have wifi at the BX. Nellis is an interesting case since they have wifi for mechanics to order parts, but otherwise wifi is not allowed. They ran an article a few years ago about the poor dude that has to survey the base searching for illegal wifi.

Posted via CB10
    I've been in situations where I had to show that wifi was disabled in the BIOS, and had to put metallic tape over the wifi antenna before I went on the base, AND, they had the "poor dude" running around all day with the sniffer... LOL
    01-27-16 05:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well that's a different beast all together. Aircraft maintenance does have WiFi. But to even see it we load special software to make it visible. Then you have to use your CAC to actually log into the domain. I think they use cerberus to authenticate. I actually setup all the laptops the maintainers use. The WiFi is full base network access but as I said. There is a lot that goes into that. DRA has to have the computer loaded into it and then the device has to be added to the domain by an administrator. The user obviously has to have a user account created and so on and so forth.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 05:09 PM
    Thanks for someone to validate about WiFi calling. I travel frequently overseas and have been missing this feature. My work around has been carrying my 5S as a second phone.

I will head to TMO later this weekend to check it out.

01-27-16 06:52 PM
    Well that's a different beast all together. Aircraft maintenance does have WiFi. But to even see it we load special software to make it visible. Then you have to use your CAC to actually log into the domain. I think they use cerberus to authenticate. I actually setup all the laptops the maintainers use. The WiFi is full base network access but as I said. There is a lot that goes into that. DRA has to have the computer loaded into it and then the device has to be added to the domain by an administrator. The user obviously has to have a user account created and so on and so forth.

Posted via CB10
    Well you could "see" the Nellis MX wifi with kismet. I have no doubt it is locked down. The signal itself goes well off base.

Back in the day before cellular data was so fast, lots of wifi sniffing went on. Or in the case of TMobile, I've made the occasional phone call over someone's open wifi, parking by their house.

Every once in a while, I will do the old war driving thing. Occasionally you will spot some weird wifi relay (point to point). Some utility poles have wifi for telemtey.

Even in areas where wifi is banned, people often forget to turn off their wifi on their clients. If you set up your wifi for auto-connect, it will ping out a request to every SSID that is enabled. This is terrible for security. For one thing, somebody could just spoof a Starbucks SSID to which you will connect. For another, the list of SSIDs is a record of places you frequent. Lastly your MAC can be logged, which makes you trackable/detectable.

https://www.kismetwireless.net/

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 07:14 PM
    Calls over cellular and wifi calling are encrypted by T-Mobile. I would assume that wifi calling is safer because of the fake cell towers some law enforcement use to intercept calls.
    01-27-16 10:25 PM
    Well you could "see" the Nellis MX wifi with kismet. I have no doubt it is locked down. The signal itself goes well off base.

Back in the day before cellular data was so fast, lots of wifi sniffing went on. Or in the case of TMobile, I've made the occasional phone call over someone's open wifi, parking by their house.

Every once in a while, I will do the old war driving thing. Occasionally you will spot some weird wifi relay (point to point). Some utility poles have wifi for telemtey.

Even in areas where wifi is banned, people often forget to turn off their wifi on their clients. If you set up your wifi for auto-connect, it will ping out a request to every SSID that is enabled. This is terrible for security. For one thing, somebody could just spoof a Starbucks SSID to which you will connect. For another, the list of SSIDs is a record of places you frequent. Lastly your MAC can be logged, which makes you trackable/detectable.

https://www.kismetwireless.net/

Posted via CB10
    That's why when I am not home, I leave wifi off. I don't want my phone pinging all the wifi routers I pass by checking them to see if there are any that I have connected to before.
    01-27-16 10:28 PM
    That's why when I am not home, I leave wifi off. I don't want my phone pinging all the wifi routers I pass by checking them to see if there are any that I have connected to before.
    On bb10

Networks->wifi->saved

Then if the SSID indicates enabled, you can either delete it or select edit, then disable and save.

I pentest my own gear, which is how I discovered the saved SSID blabbing.

I suggest getting the Android app Fing. It works fine on bb10. Most wifi in businesses isolate the clients. Some mom and pop motels set up a piece of netgear wifi where everyone is connected. If you run Fing and see other people on the network, think twice about doing anything financial.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 01:50 AM

WFC itself is simply a means to an end. Anyone making secure calls could do so with two cans and a string if necessary.

SMS is a different animal altogether. It's not considered a secure protocol regardless of how it's transmitted. It sits on servers too long even after a successful delivery flag is returned. There are better options for smoke signals.
    01-28-16 07:19 PM
336 ... 1011121314