How long before Tmo rolls out the Priv, gets bored with it and throws it in the cheap phone bin?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 06:33 PM
    called them and they said early November, will take pre orders at the end of the month.

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz and hybrid1976 like this.
    10-21-15 06:09 AM
    Believe it or not, I went to a T-Mobile corporate store to get an iPhone 6s (I know) and the guy selling me the device asked if I heard of the new Priv. I was shocked. He said some of the people he talked to were looking forward to getting their hands on one. He also said that if it was too much money, people would not buy it. I wonder how much "too much money" is.
    Dave Liao likes this.
    10-21-15 11:38 AM
    I think it's 749 us. still worth it. remember, BlackBerry is a premium device, the equivalent of a roles royce. So that price is worth it.

Posted via CB10
    LoneStarRed and DJBS4LIFE like this.
    10-22-15 03:20 PM
    I hope so. Not that my Q10 isn't dandy, but I really want a new BlackBerry. Where I live I need either wifi calling or possibly ( according to one rep) the new band 12? I've waffled about trying the classic, but no signal out in the sticks. If the Priv would give me rural coverage on a BlackBerry I'd be on it in a shot!

Wikichick
    10-23-15 10:03 AM
    If the Priv would give me rural coverage on a BlackBerry I'd be on it in a shot!
    The Priv has band 12 LTE for sure. The unlocked version now on pre-order from BlackBerry will work just fine on T-mobile but I am not sure it will have wifi calling. Usually wifi calling is only available from phones that T-mobile carries. If you really need wifi calling, I would wait to see if it will work when some people start getting the unlocked version from BlackBerry. If it doesn't work, you may have to wait to see if T-Mobile officially carries the Priv and then get one from them.
    artttom likes this.
    10-23-15 11:11 AM
    The Priv has band 12 LTE for sure. The unlocked version now on pre-order from BlackBerry will work just fine on T-mobile but I am not sure it will have wifi calling. Usually wifi calling is only available from phones that T-mobile carries. If you really need wifi calling, I would wait to see if it will work when some people start getting the unlocked version from BlackBerry. If it doesn't work, you may have to wait to see if T-Mobile officially carries the Priv and then get one from them.
    Band 12 may not work either, if TMO doesn't carry the Priv and "motorolas" BlackBerry into disabling it.
    lift likes this.
    10-23-15 04:56 PM
    If they somehow convince BlackBerry to remove band 12, I may just buy it from Amazon or shopbb

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 07:12 PM
    If they somehow convince BlackBerry to remove band 12, I may just buy it from Amazon or shopbb
    That's the thing: it wouldn't matter where you buy the phone from. TMO had Motorola disable band 12 as part of a software update. And this was to phones TMO never sold.

But if they pick it up, it will all but have WFC, voLTE and band 12.
    10-23-15 07:58 PM
    That's the thing: it wouldn't matter where you buy the phone from. TMO had Motorola disable band 12 as part of a software update. And this was to phones TMO never sold.

But if they pick it up, it will all but have WFC, voLTE and band 12.
    So Raino, do you think the Priv sold directly from BlackBerry will have Band 12 enabled? I ask because isn't there a Canadian carrier that uses band 12? The North American version would have to have band 12 enabled then, wouldn't it? If BlackBerry were smart, they would have any North American version of the Priv with band 12 certified with T-Mobile voLTE.
    10-23-15 10:33 PM
    Band 12 may not work either, if TMO doesn't carry the Priv and "motorolas" BlackBerry into disabling it.
    Given that T-Mo opened up the WFC flood gates to all BB10 devices, I'd be utterly shocked if they go so far out of their way to request b12 be disabled on any Priv that they themselves don't sell. Remember, BB is still only 0.3% and T-Mo needs all the customers they can get.

Is the Motorola in question still crippled or did that issue get corrected?

[CB10 / Q10]
    10-23-15 11:52 PM
    Would be great if Tmo set up an upgrade program for those with BlackBerry phones to get a $200 or $300 discount to trade in their current BlackBerry phone for BlackBerry Priv when they roll out!!

Posted via CB10
    00stryder and DJBS4LIFE like this.
    10-24-15 08:40 AM
    The reason they are disabling Band 12 on devices is because of 911 call issues. As a company I can understand them making this decision. Could you image the press and money they would have to payout if someone called 911 over band 12 and there where issues. I do know they are working on fixing the issue, but as a temporary workaround they are doing this. I currently have a nexus 6 which initially had band 12 enabled then disabled. I can say right now that band 12 on my device is enabled, because I am rooted, unlocked boot-loader and flashed a different ROM and Radio.

While I have an Android device I am posting here because I will be dropping my nexus 6 for a Priv, because this is the dream device I have been waiting for. I can assure you that a developer will find a way to unlock and root this device. By unlock, I mean unlock a boot-loader. 99% of android devices have this. If enough people pick up this device, then we can see ROM builds as well. Normally, root and unlock are done within 2 months after release (on average) and around 6 months we start seeing customization's and ROM's appear.

I think this device will cause me to finally get off the side-lines and start developing. I am a software engineer, specializing in CRM development. I just need a little time to read up.

If you want to learn more about android head over to XDA-Developers.
    Trisk333 likes this.
    10-24-15 11:53 AM
    Given that T-Mo opened up the WFC flood gates to all BB10 devices, I'd be utterly shocked if they go so far out of their way to request b12 be disabled on any Priv that they themselves don't sell. Remember, BB is still only 0.3% and T-Mo needs all the customers they can get.
    I see the WFC situation as different because it's supposed to provide supplementary coverage. In other words, TMO would never officially tell a potential customer to go out, buy a phone and just survive on WFC. But they would do so for band 12 coverage, because cellular tends to be more reliable. So IMO that's why they'll be more flexible with WFC than b12 access.

But I think you're making a different point--that TMO wouldn't ask BB to disable b12 on the STV100-3, if the STV100-1 is what they end picking up (or vice versa.) I'd need to look up b12 availability on non TMO-carried variants of phones (like, a Canadian S6...as a made-up hypothetical example) to agree with you. Does TMO's (expensive) certification processes clear the entire lineup of a phone or does each variant has to be submitted for certification?

Is the Motorola in question still crippled or did that issue get corrected?
    Nope, still that way. The Motorola E (or G, or whatever it was) never had b12 enabled with a future update, and their latest phone (X Pure or something) launched with band 12 disabled.
    modifier likes this.
    10-24-15 01:15 PM
    The reason they are disabling Band 12 on devices is because of 911 call issues. As a company I can understand them making this decision. Could you image the press and money they would have to payout if someone called 911 over band 12 and there where issues. I do know they are working on fixing the issue, but as a temporary workaround they are doing this. I currently have a nexus 6 which initially had band 12 enabled then disabled. I can say right now that band 12 on my device is enabled, because I am rooted, unlocked boot-loader and flashed a different ROM and Radio.
    It shouldn't take all this work for one of the most basic functions of a phone--cellular access. With the Motorola E, when users updated their OS, they found band 12 disabled. So they had to downgrade (which is more work than an OTA update.) And now the Motorola X Pure Edition has launched with band 12 disabled, and the buyer has to either a) look for custom ROMs that enable band 12 (if they exist,) or b) live with a crippled phone. I know Android is the land of bootloader unlocking and flashing ROMs (I'm not saying this disparagingly,) but this is something that shouldn't require all that.

TMO's fault lies in that this certification process of theirs is expensive and/or extensive. So if they decide to not carry a phone, why would a manufacturer bother paying for their b12 certification with a limited ROI?
    10-24-15 01:22 PM
    Band 12 is SUPPOSED to be a supplement to band 4 and band 2 LTE. The problem is that T-mobile is putting up band 12 LTE with no other LTE bands and no 3G/4G fallback in some areas to expand their LTE footprint. Now if your device has band 12 LTE but is not voLTE capable, then if you try to make a call in those band 12 LTE only areas, the device can not fall back to anything else and may not connect to another carriers system to complete a 911 call. So if a device is not T-mobile voLTE certified/capable but has Band 12 LTE, T-Mobile is asking those manufacturers to disable band 12.
    raino likes this.
    10-24-15 03:01 PM
    But I think you're making a different point--that TMO wouldn't ask BB to disable b12 on the STV100-3, if the STV100-1 is what they end picking up (or vice versa.) I'd need to look up b12 availability on non TMO-carried variants of phones (like, a Canadian S6...as a made-up hypothetical example) to agree with you. Does TMO's (expensive) certification processes clear the entire lineup of a phone or does each variant has to be submitted for certification?
    My point was more along the lines that T-Mo wouldn't likely request BB disable b12 on the unlocked version of the same variant that they sell. Disabling it on other models might make sense if Z50's scenario were true. That's suspect however since all will fall back to 2.5G bands for E911 access. Fallback rarely happens on 3G/3.5G.

I'm not sure what T-Mo does for certs or testing. BB certs each variant individually.

[CB10 / Q10]
    10-24-15 04:11 PM
    Band 12 is SUPPOSED to be a supplement to band 4 and band 2 LTE. The problem is that T-mobile is putting up band 12 LTE with no other LTE bands and no 3G/4G fallback in some areas to expand their LTE footprint. Now if your device has band 12 LTE but is not voLTE capable, then if you try to make a call in those band 12 LTE only areas, the device can not fall back to anything else and may not connect to another carriers system to complete a 911 call. So if a device is not T-mobile voLTE certified/capable but has Band 12 LTE, T-Mobile is asking those manufacturers to disable band 12.
    Right. Part of the problem is that there is no corresponding GSM or UMTS band for 700 MHz, so the first deployment is as LTE, and therefore calls on this network have to be over LTE. Even assuming a large chunk of 700a spectrum as available, TMO doesn't have the luxury of, say, apportioning a 10x10 patch to LTE and leaving 5x5 as a pre-LTE network. They got backed into this situation because of coverage gaps; as you well know, AT&T and Verizon built out their respective 700 MHz networks supplementing their GSM+UMTS/CDMA networks and then got into voLTE. Meanwhile, TMO is having to bootstrap it and deploy voLTE as they go along deploying 700a in poor coverage areas.

My point was more along the lines that T-Mo wouldn't likely request BB disable b12 on the unlocked version of the same variant that they sell.
    Oh ok. Yeah--I don't see that happening either. There is no precedent to compare to for BB phones, but if we look at WFC, BB has always allowed it on unbranded, same variant phones. And FWIW, Nexus 6 phones purchased from Google get their WFC (and voLTE?) as soon as they install the TMO-specific build.

--
    To somewhat reset this thread--we are discussing scenarios if the Priv was not be picked up by TMO. There is no indication of this happening yet. No official word either way.
    lift likes this.
    10-24-15 04:52 PM
    To somewhat reset this thread--we are discussing scenarios if the Priv was not be picked up by TMO. There is no indication of this happening yet. No official word either way.
    True. Even if T-Mo doesn't pick it up, BB is adding b12 for a reason. That effort isn't happening only to see it get disabled.

[CB10 / Q10]
    10-24-15 06:54 PM
    Wow! Didn't ever expect that type response from my original question. So, any comments/thoughts regarding throwing longtime (very longtome) BlackBerry customers a bone with the Priv rollout? Any special Promotions or sweet deals to say sorry we've treated you like 2nd rate buyers/ customers for so long so here's a deal to reward your loyalty to the product/program and thanks for staying with T mo since the beginning?

Posted via CB10
    Nels likes this.
    10-25-15 08:15 AM
    Believe it or not, I went to a T-Mobile corporate store to get an iPhone 6s (I know) and the guy selling me the device asked if I heard of the new Priv. I was shocked. He said some of the people he talked to were looking forward to getting their hands on one. He also said that if it was too much money, people would not buy it. I wonder how much "too much money" is.
    I had to read that 3 times before I could move on reading the rest.
    lift and Nels like this.
    10-25-15 03:57 PM
    BlackBerry works hard at making devices that can't be rooted. If you can root the device, it is no longer secure.

BTW OS 2789 restored my WFC on my Z10. Being on Harbor Mobile now, I can't set up my emergency address since I have no my.t-mobile.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 04:41 PM
    I can't set up my emergency address since I have no my.t-mobile.
    Can't you just call Harbor customer service?
    10-25-15 09:38 PM
    Being on Harbor Mobile now, I can't set up my emergency address since I have no my.t-mobile.
    Can't you just call Harbor customer service?
    Does Harbor Mobile even offer WFC? I haven't heard people on Straight Talk, Ultra, etc. saying they have access to WFC, so does Harbor?

AFAIK, it's only TMO and Metro, which is a subsidiary, not an MVNO.
    10-25-15 09:56 PM
    Does Harbor Mobile even offer WFC? I haven't heard people on Straight Talk, Ultra, etc. saying they have access to WFC, so does Harbor?

AFAIK, it's only TMO and Metro, which is a subsidiary, not an MVNO.
    Harbor just collects the money. The service is basic Tmo with a few exceptions. (I can't call Mexico for free or whatever deal Tmo customers have.) When I call Tmo customer service, the account owner is Harbor Mobile, but they treat me like a TMo customer. Customer service has no clue about Harbor Mobile being a reseller. Rather they think I work for Harbor Mobile.

Remember, Harbor dropped Tmo for AT$T, so I am grandfathered in their $53 a month (including tax) unlimited plan. In the best of times, Harbor was clueless about anything other than collecting money. I have my doubts about having them do anything related to my Tmo service.

When I do a ma.t-tmobile, I see the data for the block of customers (or maybe all the customers) of Harbor Mobile. The account has 4724 minutes of voice used, with my share being 180 + 33 minutes. I can't see the data usage for all users, just my own in theory. I say in theory because the detailed data for my phone indicated 27MB of roaming data and I doubt I have left the Tmo service area this billing cycle. I used about 14GBytes of data with 1.5G being tethered.

I've done without WFC for so long that I don't miss it. There is literally only one town I ever used WFC, and I just email when in that town since I'm only there a day or two. I just found it interesting when WFC came back to life.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 10:26 AM
336 123 ...