Bizarre. This makes me question Verizon's rollout of VoWiFi and how they intend to connect an IMS handset to a landline. That's the rub. T-Mobile has no problem going IMS to wireline and vice-versa. I suspect AT&T will use the exact same model. Now I'm curious what VZW are doing different.

HDV is a digital-to-digital device feature. You can have it on GSM or LTE if the carrier supports it. It doesn't work with analog wireline phones as they can't handle the modulation. VoIP devices should in theory work but I'm not up on VoIP devices to know if they indeed support it.

In a broader context it's not supposed to be handset-to-handset. IMS connections (ie: VoLTE and VoWiFi) are intended to talk to analog devices over the PSTN. How and why any carrier would restrict this to 100% IMS to IMS (or even IMS to/from VoIP) is an unknown. Doing so would be handicapping a rather robust feature. That's what's strange.
    The handset to handset mode is supposed to be a quick connection. You can see why the carriers would like that. Time is money, and I assume there is little computer processing in a handset to handset call. Handset to wire line may not be of any savings, so they just use the 4g setup. This is just a guess.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 04:31 PM
    The handset to handset mode is supposed to be a quick connection. You can see why the carriers would like that. Time is money, and I assume there is little computer processing in a handset to handset call. Handset to wire line may not be of any savings, so they just use the 4g setup. This is just a guess.
    It is indeed quick when connecting two cellular handsets. Where I'm confused is how VZW expects to roll out VoWiFi (which needs to connect to both wireless and wireline devices) but limit VoLTE to digital only. That doesn't compute. It's like saying a VoIP phone can call other VoIP phones but not standard landlines.

I can only speculate that Verizon's costs on connecting a CDMA call to a landline is currently less expensive than connecting VoLTE to a landline. But, that's just speculation. The restriction makes little sense from a technology standpoint. VoLTE should be less expensive to run overall.

[CB10 / Q10]
    06-21-15 06:30 PM
    So would an unlocked AT&T 9900 receive HSPA+ (1900 mhz) on T-Mobile after the refarming???
    06-22-15 08:23 AM
    So would an unlocked AT&T 9900 receive HSPA+ (1900 mhz) on T-Mobile after the refarming???
    Yes. But you would want to make sure that you're in a refarmed area. Otherwise all you would get is 2G.

I would think all of these places where TMO is shutting down AWS are PCS refarmed.
    06-22-15 08:38 AM
    How can I tell an area is refarmed? Is there a website that lists refarms current and planned by city/state?
    06-22-15 10:15 AM
    Can I buy a used 9300 and get a Classic for free? That would rock!

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 10:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    One presumes it is for existing customers. ;-) otherwise I have a few old keyboard BlackBerry phones I could swap for classics.

Actually I'm a Harbor Mobile customer these days. When I call Tmo customer service, I have to tell them I'm with Harbor Mobile. They don't see my billing or account directly.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 11:54 AM
    How can I tell an area is refarmed? Is there a website that lists refarms current and planned by city/state?
    TMO's coverage map used to somewhat break down coverage by network bands, but doesn't anymore. The closest semi-official listing I could find is at Roam Mobile, an MVNO that caters to Canadians: https://www.roammobility.com/coverage (scroll down to Re-farmed Cities and click on the button to expand the list.)

But even Roam's list may not be up-to-date.

That will work if you are a "business (T-Mobile @Work) customer." Originally, the article was missing this detail but was later updated. And you probably have to have an address on file in one of those places they're killing the AWS network.
    modifier likes this.
    06-22-15 12:03 PM
    @Raino, ah there is the catch, oh well. Thanks for the reply.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 01:01 PM
    Supposedly a new round is about to get underway: https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...owns_incoming/
    02-19-16 10:09 PM
    Reddit also reported mass VoLTE problems on Tmobile . Of course, I wouldn't know since I use a Z10.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...tored_finally/

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...alling_outage/

Posted via CB10
    02-21-16 09:28 AM
    Reddit also reported mass VoLTE problems on Tmobile . Of course, I wouldn't know since I use a Z10.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...tored_finally/

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...alling_outage/
    Apparently it wasn't just voLTE and WFC: T-Mobile Down Aroud the Nation? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    02-21-16 01:29 PM
    Just to respond to modifier above. HDV does not work over GSM, it doesn't have the bandwidth. Back in the early 2000's I remember we could mod Sony Ericsson phones to add amr-nb codec instead of GSM codec, no clue if the connection actually used it though. HDV is the wideband AMR codec and it requires at least a UMTS/HSPA support, and for both ends of the link and the network in between to support it. VoLTE allows for higher bitrates with that codec to be used for even higher voice quality.

I think t-mobile maintains an IMEI list of which devices are capable and whitelists it, if it was sold on their network and it's modern it probably works to call other t-mobile customers as well as voicemail.

And yes there was an outage yesterday or so, no details on why but support and John were very fast to engage with customers about it. It's good now though.

Posted via CB10 on me red Blackberry Passport
    raino likes this.
    02-21-16 10:03 PM
    Just to respond to modifier above. HDV does not work over GSM, it doesn't have the bandwidth.
    GSM can support HDV even though no US carriers support it. There are in fact a small number of carriers in other countries using G.722-based HD Voice over old-school GSM.

Generally speaking, however, most carriers aren't bothering with HDV over true GSM as there's zero need. Finding it on UMTS is exceedingly rare as well. Current HDV development is focused nearly 100% on 722.2 over LTE, at least in the US.

But, in all fairness, I said "GSM or LTE" in my post more out of habit than to specifically call out 2.5G service. I know better than that. Heck, I still call NAMPS "AMPS" even though it's technically incorrect. It's a hard habit to break.
    04-02-16 01:17 AM
39 12