I've never done this before. Is it 7 days or 30 days that we have to be able to legally back out of carrier contracts w/ no cancellation fees or requirement to buy the device??

Any carriers you recommend I stay away from for this "test"? (i.e., history of giving customers major problems when trying to back out of the contract)

Have another suggestion for where I could easily buy-and-try the Blackberry Z10 for 2+ weeks and return (if it doesn't work out for me) with FULL refund and no hassles?

Reason:
    Only one reason I'm hesitant getting the Z10 and signing with a respective carrier right away: THE KEYBOARD. I'm so used to physical keyboards that last time I tried the Z10 in a store, I was horrified at how totally un-usuable the virtual keyboard was for me YET, I find on forums that former KB users are ending up LOVING the Z10's virtual KB after using it for awhile (1-2 wks +), so I need to try it out and see if I can get used to it, otherwise I need to re-work my POS solution in a different way that may OR MAY NOT end up being compatible with that carrier's offerings. I need to make sure that I will not risk ending up getting "sneakily" locked into a contract with a carrier that I will not be able to use, or have to pay major fees/fines or dealing with major hassles during/after the trial period.

I will not really be using data/phone hardly at all during the (just few min to test quality). I will be focusing 99% of my time on the keyboard.
    07-19-13 03:10 AM
    T-Mobile Return policy

On the phone:
    New sale and activation
    For a refund, to exchange a device, or to cancel your new service activation without a termination fee (for service contracts of 1 year or more) , return your Device within 20 calendar days of the date you received your Device (30 days in CA). During this period, you may return or exchange your Device, or cancel your new service activation for any reason, as long as you:

You may also be required to pay a restocking fee for all returned or exchanged Devices as follows:

The restocking fee is $75 for advanced, data-focused devices that are designed for web browsing (e.g.: tablets, netbooks).
    The restocking fee is $50 for “smart phone” devices, which are high-end devices designed for web and social media use in addition to standard phone usage such as voice and text messaging.
    The restocking fee is $25 for all other devices (e.g.: basic phone devices and data sticks).
    Berrysmoothy likes this.
    07-19-13 10:18 AM
    You should be able to determine whether to Z10's keyboard will work for you within the 20 days... but it will probably cost you $50 if you need to exchange/return it.
    07-19-13 10:21 AM
    You should be able to determine whether to Z10's keyboard will work for you within the 20 days... but it will probably cost you $50 if you need to exchange/return it.
    It's actually $75 for the Z10, or at least it was when I purchased mine. There is a sticker on the box denoting the restock price.
    Berrysmoothy likes this.
    07-19-13 11:12 AM
    crap. I don't have that kind of cash to blow right now on trying out a keyboard :-/

Unless... anyone here interested in "renting" to me their Z10 for 2-3 weeks for like $25 (max)?? lol That's all I can think of.

Other than that, I guess I'm stuck with OS7 (9900) or iPhoney *bleh*

Anyway, thanks for the info guys!
    07-19-13 05:08 PM
    crap. I don't have that kind of cash to blow right now on trying out a keyboard :-/

Unless... anyone here interested in "renting" to me their Z10 for 2-3 weeks for like $25 (max)?? lol That's all I can think of.

Other than that, I guess I'm stuck with OS7 (9900) or iPhoney *bleh*

Anyway, thanks for the info guys!
    Not interested in the Q10? I mean, the Z10 keyboard is miles ahead of the iPhone's, but... if you're a physical keyboard kind of person, then perhaps the Q10 is the one for you.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 05:25 PM
    If you have a Costco nearby that stocks the Z10 and are a member, check their policy. They may have a no restocking fee policy.
    Berrysmoothy likes this.
    07-19-13 07:28 PM
    oh I would LOVE to get the Q10! The only reason I'm a little stuck on the Z10 is because it's the only one I can find that fits into the secure POS solution I need for my new biz startup because it has the screen-space for client signatures and the level of security needed for PCI DSS compliance. I'd prefer not having to use an iPhone for it but it's starting to look like I might not have a choice.
    07-22-13 10:56 AM
    In order to use the virtual keyboard effectively you have to adopt a feather lite touch in comparison to what your used to with the physical keyboard and then the virtual keyboard just flows. I was on a 9900 before my z10

Swordsmanship Channel: C000C9AF6
    07-22-13 11:09 AM
    oh I would LOVE to get the Q10! The only reason I'm a little stuck on the Z10 is because it's the only one I can find that fits into the secure POS solution I need for my new biz startup because it has the screen-space for client signatures and the level of security needed for PCI DSS compliance. I'd prefer not having to use an iPhone for it but it's starting to look like I might not have a choice.
    For what it's worth, both my wife and sister used physical keyboard BBs for many years until I got them to try out the Z10.

My wife uses Lexicomp (drug reference app) and so she had been using the Bold and an ipod touch exclusively for Lexicomp due to the bigger screen size. She was never very good with touch screens, but reluctantly decided to try out the Z10 so she could use just one device. After a week or so she was very comfortable with it and its keyboard and has never complained about it.

My sister texts like crazy and beats up on devices... she was even more apprehensive of touchscreen keyboards, especially because she also had an ipod touch for music and she hated its keyboard. I saw her just this past weekend and she's even better than me (storm, Storm 2, torch 9850 user) on the Z10.

So... I would say that if you need the screen real estate, and can put up with an initial learning curve, you will most likely be satisfied with the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 11:57 AM
    Just checked. they don't charge a restocking fee, so that's a good thing! but it's still a 14-day policy too simply because of the network contract tied to it upon purchase (grrrrrrr) :-P

this is crazy, I wish someone would give the option of trying out the hardware for more than just 14 days and not require it to be combined w/ the stupid cell contract from the get-go.

Anyone know of a company with a reliable, normal 30-day return policy where I could just BUY the damn thing without it being tied to a cell contract from the start?
    If you have a Costco nearby that stocks the Z10 and are a member, check their policy. They may have a no restocking fee policy.
    Last edited by Berrysmoothy; 07-22-13 at 02:37 PM.
    07-22-13 02:06 PM
    Well, those personal accounts are both encouraging, though I cant be sure at this pt. When I tried it out for over an hr at the store, it was litterally IMPOSSIBLE for me to use. I've seen people typing really slow on their touchscreen phones, which is not an option for me since I do alot of notes and document editing, so accuracy and speed is a must for me. As long as I can get as accurate and fast as I am on my little Palm Centro keyboard, or if a small bluetooth keyboard case comes out for the z10, then I'm good to go.

In order to use the virtual keyboard effectively you have to adopt a feather lite touch in comparison to what your used to with the physical keyboard and then the virtual keyboard just flows. I was on a 9900 before my z10

Swordsmanship Channel: C000C9AF6
    For what it's worth, both my wife and sister used physical keyboard BBs for many years until I got them to try out the Z10.

My wife uses Lexicomp (drug reference app) and so she had been using the Bold and an ipod touch exclusively for Lexicomp due to the bigger screen size. She was never very good with touch screens, but reluctantly decided to try out the Z10 so she could use just one device. After a week or so she was very comfortable with it and its keyboard and has never complained about it.

My sister texts like crazy and beats up on devices... she was even more apprehensive of touchscreen keyboards, especially because she also had an ipod touch for music and she hated its keyboard. I saw her just this past weekend and she's even better than me (storm, Storm 2, torch 9850 user) on the Z10.

So... I would say that if you need the screen real estate, and can put up with an initial learning curve, you will most likely be satisfied with the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 02:33 PM
    OP, check out Target. They have this online-only Z10 for $630, but I have a feeling this is the STL100-1, which does not have LTE bands nor TMO's primary 3G/HSPA+ band (1700 MHz.) Right underneath the thumbnail for the picture, they say:

This item must be returned within 30 days of the ship date.
    with no mention of a restocking fee. Personally, I think this policy is valid on unopened items only, so if you are interested, you might want to call to double, triple and quadruple check to confirm the no restocking fee and that you can return an opened item. Good luck.
    Berrysmoothy likes this.
    07-22-13 02:52 PM
    this is crazy, I wish someone would give the option of trying out the hardware for more than just 14 days and not require it to be combined w/ the stupid cell contract from the get-go.
    Well, 14 days without a contract and restocking seems fair to me. IMHO, asking for 30 days with no contract AND no restocking on a $500 product is a bit too much.

Anyone know of a company with a reliable, normal 30-day return policy where I could just BUY the damn thing without it being tied to a cell contract from the start?
    Electronics almost always have a special return policy (they're not clothes, you know ) Which is why if you decide to follow up on the Target option, make sure every thing lines up.

Here's another thought: if you are for sure staying with TMO, what is their exchange policy? Say on day 19, you don't like the Z10 but want to exchange it for an iPhone (i.e. still staying with TMO,) does the $75 restocking still apply? And what about the same scenario after 13 days at Costco?
    07-22-13 03:12 PM
    Great find, thanks I have a Target near me and I called, they have no restocking fee so that will be my first place to go I think.

I've also found out that Best Buy and Costco (the two stores I didn't think until today to call) dont have restocking fee. But like the rest they all have 14 to 15-day return policy. Sooo...
    what I may end up having to do, if I'm not getting a feel for it after 14 days of intensive practice on it, is return with one company then continue with the other store and get my wireless plan through that one (or whichever one provides the best service I guess). IF I end up keeping the device, that is :-p

As for verifying, I just verify once, after informing the rep I'm recording the phonecall for my own "quality assurance" purposes

OP, check out Target. They have this online-only Z10 for $630, but I have a feeling this is the STL100-1, which does not have LTE bands nor TMO's primary 3G/HSPA+ band (1700 MHz.) Right underneath the thumbnail for the picture, they say:

with no mention of a restocking fee. Personally, I think this policy is valid on unopened items only, so if you are interested, you might want to call to double, triple and quadruple check to confirm the no restocking fee and that you can return an opened item. Good luck.
    07-22-13 11:48 PM
    If you do, remember that the Z10 keyboard takes a few days to figure out your typing style in many different ways. You will find that the experience greatly increases as the days go by. It also definitely takes a bit to get used to, but once you do, I'd bet you will have a hard time giving it up. Here are two things that helped me coming from a Torch.
    1. Type as soft as you can. As if you are not even touching the screen and the total opposite of your usual style with a physical keyboard.
    2. Download a typing game. It will improve your typing without even thinking about it.
    Good luck if you do try it out!

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 11:58 PM
    if you are for sure staying with TMO, what is their exchange policy? Say on day 19, you don't like the Z10 but want to exchange it for an iPhone (i.e. still staying with TMO,) does the $75 restocking still apply? And what about the same scenario after 13 days at Costco?
    I'm currently w/ Cricket but will need to switch to (or add) a different carrier for my business and I really have no idea who to go with. I was w/ VZW before Cricket but they were just so damn expensive, I don't know. I need reliable coverage and service for the Southern CA area (especially San Diego and LA). And I'm really trying to stick with Blackberry devices (OS10, or 7 if need be)

But yah anyway getting bk to what you were saying, if I end up choosing a carrier before the phone, then that would be an option.

But I need to speak with people in those areas to see how TM service is there. More google searching I guess :-p
    07-23-13 12:01 AM
    thanks foe the tips! Typing game...never knew there was such a thing. Any in particular you can recommend?

If you do, remember that the Z10 keyboard takes a few days to figure out your typing style in many different ways. You will find that the experience greatly increases as the days go by. It also definitely takes a bit to get used to, but once you do, I'd bet you will have a hard time giving it up. Here are two things that helped me coming from a Torch.
    1. Type as soft as you can. As if you are not even touching the screen and the total opposite of your usual style with a physical keyboard.
    2. Download a typing game. It will improve your typing without even thinking about it.
    Good luck if you do try it out!

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 12:07 AM
    My contract with Sprint ended on the 22nd and I'm really leaning toward T-Mobile. I can't decide on the Z10 or Q10. Nor do I know how good the reception is on T-Mobile. Does anyone know if it is possible to try one for 14 days and then the other without being locked into a contract if neither works out.? I've been locked into Sprint for 2 years with horrific reception and am trying to avoid it happening again. I T-Mobile doesn't work well for me then I'll just have to go with Verizon, which is way more expensive.
    08-24-13 08:56 PM
    I'd suggest getting a to prepay phone to test signal, I don't think they would let you test each device for 14 days.

Prepay devices are fairly inexpensive and minimal cost to start service.

Test the signal before you even move fully to Tmo or any other provider for that matter

Posted via CB10
    cscott44 likes this.
    08-24-13 09:23 PM