Bought my first Z10 shortly after AT&T first offered them: purchase date 4/2/2013. I had previously tried the iPhone 4S and found it severely lacking. I had used my upgrade from my 9800 Torch to get the iPhone, and after giving the iPhone an honest chance (in other words kept it beyond the 30-day return period) my only option was to sell it on craigslist, then reactivated my Torch until the Z10 came out.

So with that said, I paid full price ($449.99) for the Z10. Have receipt emailed to me from the AT&T store confirming this, with the IMEI shown on the receipt. I also renewed my contract for 2 years at that time. There's the catch.

Because my contract shows to be in effect through 4/2/2015, AT&T says my Z10 is "under contract" and not eligible to be unlocked. I'm not even using it on my plan at this time, instead I have 2 Z30's on my plan which were purchased direct from BlackBerry.

Sat through two different online chats with AT&T people, no help, the second one opened a case with their "unlock team" who would contact me back within 48 hrs. Hasn't happened.

I've always been happy with my service through AT&T. Good coverage, no billing errors, no hassles. Until now. I'm pretty steamed at being held hostage for a phone I paid full price for. I'm not attempting to unlock a phone so I can leave AT&T; I'd like to give my old, unused phone to a friend that is not on AT&T so that he can try out BB10.

CLIFF NOTES/TLDR: paid in full for phone, AT&T won't give unlock code.

Richard
    12-19-14 04:24 PM
    That is just so wrong of them. I hope you'll get everything sorted out soon!

Once you go black, you can't turn back! Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 04:25 PM
    Thanks; we'll see. Since I had been in online chat with AT&T they sent me a text survey asking if I was satisfied. Replied no, and that my issue was not resolved. That resulted in a call from them a short while later. They said that the case showed they were simply "waiting on the manufacturer" to respond - meaning they had approved my unlock and were just waiting on a code from BB. I'm not convinced, but holding out hope.

Richard
    12-19-14 05:41 PM
    Tell them who's the boss
    If the issue is not resolved in a timely manner, threaten them that you're switching to a competitor muhaha.

Thanks; we'll see. Since I had been in online chat with AT&T they sent me a text survey asking if I was satisfied. Replied no, and that my issue was not resolved. That resulted in a call from them a short while later. They said that the case showed they were simply "waiting on the manufacturer" to respond - meaning they had approved my unlock and were just waiting on a code from BB. I'm not convinced, but holding out hope.

Richard

Once you go black, you can't turn back! Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 06:38 PM
    Escalate. Find an AT&T user forum and inquire. They will be very helpful! From there you will most likely find out corporate numbers to call and POLITELY express your dissatisfaction.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    jmr1015 likes this.
    12-19-14 06:50 PM
    I paid full price ($449.99) for the Z10. Have receipt emailed to me from the AT&T store confirming this, with the IMEI shown on the receipt. I also renewed my contract for 2 years at that time. There's the catch.
    If you paid full price for the phone, why in the world did you renew a contract? You got nothing from them and they got two years from you.....guaranteed.
    12-19-14 06:57 PM
    For $34, you can cut AT&T out of the picture:

Blackberry Unlock Codes - #1 Source for FREE Unlock Codes
    12-19-14 07:08 PM
    If you paid full price for the phone, why in the world did you renew a contract? You got nothing from them and they got two years from you.....guaranteed.
    Because I have to get the phone service from somebody and other than this I'm happy with AT&T? I had mentioned that in the original post.

Richard
    12-19-14 08:48 PM
    Because I have to get the phone service from somebody and other than this I'm happy with AT&T? I had mentioned that in the original post.

Richard
    You don't need a contract to get phone service. Why did you sign one? Contracts are two way agreements in which you get a discounted phone and they get your money for two years. You got nothing in return.

I have my own device. Do I still need to sign a long-term service commitment?- AT&T Wireless Support

...."No commitment pricing
    Customers may purchase equipment at the full retail, no-commitment price at AT&T retail stores and sign up for service on a month-to-month basis. This non-discounted purchase option does not require a two year contract or other long-term service commitment.
    Bring your own device
    Customers with a compatible 3G or 4G capable device can purchase a SIM card and accompanying plan with no long-term service commitment. Certain restrictions may apply. AT&T is not responsible for the performance of any non-branded AT&T devices"
    12-19-14 08:55 PM
    I would think if you paid full price for your phone they should unlock it without issue. The reason for the contract is to lock you in so they can recoup their subsidy on your phone. I hope they let you unlock it so the other person can enjoy the blackberry experience.

Sent from my Passport

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 12:12 AM
    redlight - I've no issue having a contract with AT&T. Also didn't bother comparing contract plan pricing vs. month-to-month, though I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't receiving better plan pricing than non-contract. If you feel like proving or disproving that, be my guest.

Other than a very short departure when I worked in an area that the only carrier that got good service was metroPCS (horrible everywhere else I went otherwise, by the way), I've been with AT&T since 2005 (my first phone w/them was actually w/Cingular) and been happy with them. This is really about the only hiccup I've had whatsoever, so considering a history of great coverage and no billing issues, I've been a defender of theirs many times in the past.

However, this situation with them holding my old phone hostage has me pretty burned up. I've wasted a good chunk of time in chats with their support, and waiting for them to provide a code. They never did contact me back last Friday so I'll have to raise the issue with them yet again...

Richard
    12-22-14 10:54 AM
    For $34, you can cut AT&T out of the picture:

Blackberry Unlock Codes - #1 Source for FREE Unlock Codes
    Thanks; I'm all over it. After countless chats with AT&T reps that went absolutely nowhere, I'm paying for an unlock. AT&T should have provided it for free but they're too incompetent to help. Whether they're telling me my paid-in-full phone is still under 2 year contract, or the IMEI is not an AT&T phone (they keep going back to the one listed for my Z30, regardless that I gave them the correct Z10 IMEI in the beginning) - the first rep insisted I find my receipt, yet since then I can't get anybody to even let me send them the receipt. Thanks for nothing AT&T!

Richard
    12-23-14 09:18 AM
    DONE and DONE. FreeMyBlackBerry handled it for $30 ($34CAD->$30USD) and emailed me a working unlock code in about 8 hours. I know I could have also done this at one of the may indie phone stores around here but doing it online was much more convenient. AT&T should have done this for me but they refused/were unable to grasp the concept that I paid for the phone.

Richard
    12-24-14 09:13 AM
    Now have fun not being able to enter alternate APN settings without putting the phone in a doofy diagnostic mode, and losing your changes after restarting.
    12-29-14 10:02 PM
    Now have fun not being able to enter alternate APN settings without putting the phone in a doofy diagnostic mode, and losing your changes after restarting.
    You've got my attention...elaborate please? This is the first phone I've had to get unlocked. My current phones are Z30's which were bought straight from ShopBB already unlocked. I've never had to bother with any of the settings on them, although they are using my AT&T SIMs simply moved over from the AT&T Z10's, and are restored through Link from backups of those same Z10's.

Richard
    12-31-14 01:17 PM
    AT&T bricked up the Z10 so that you can't simply add APNs; you have to put the phone in an alternate mode that will allow you to do this, and anything you enter will be lost if the phone is powered off. I didn't bother memorizing how to do it, since there's no point in changing carriers, no matter who you're currently with, and leaving the country for pleasure is not for me. The technique is posted in some thread in the Z10 board, I believe.
    01-01-15 08:45 AM
    I left ATT last month and couldn't be happier.

After 10 years they weren't wiling to give me any deals, so now I pay less per month for much faster data and no throttle through tmobile.

I was only getting 10-15mbs down before throttling, and 3-5mbs down after 2gb usage. Now I get ~50mbs all the time .

Posted in CB10 from my amazing Passport
    01-01-15 09:00 AM
    T-Mobile is fine if you never go anywhere other than your back yard and Germany.
    01-01-15 09:26 PM
    I've had no trouble getting a phone unlocked by AT&T under contract. Even if the phone was free or discounted when purchased under contract.

I usually just submit an unlock request via website, and if that doesn't get approved, I email them and request my device be unlocked because I am traveling abroad for work and will be using prepaid service in various countries. If you ask like a professional, they usually do what they can to help out a loyal and paying customer.
    01-01-15 09:43 PM
    Come on man. Victim-blaming is so 2014. You're implying I didn't ask nicely first?

Richard
    01-01-15 10:23 PM
    Not victim blaming or implying anything. Simply sharing my experience with the same sort of situation. I give them a legitimate sounding usage reason I need my device unlocked, and I've never had an issue with them refusing the request.
    01-01-15 10:45 PM
    Paying full price for the phone seemed a legitimate enough reason to me. It wasn't subsidized. They should have unlocked it.

Richard
    01-02-15 08:19 AM
    AT&T wouldn't unlock my Z10 in the spring when I called to get it unlocked for travel out of the country. They told me I could pay to terminate my contract and then they would. I said I he contract to pay and I would still pay so what difference does it make. I chose to pay third party and bought my Passport unlocked from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 12:13 PM
    Paying full price for the phone seemed a legitimate enough reason to me. It wasn't subsidized. They should have unlocked it.

Richard
    On basic principle, I agree, they should have. I always submit my request straight through the unlock department. I don't deal with customer service unless I have to. But technically the fine print of their policy does state that a device paid in full can only be unlocked if you met their general unlock requirements, one of which, is that your service commitments and installment plans are completed.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=oiufdfTS

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=VlDf02VC

"If you paid the full retail price, your device may be eligible for unlocking if you meet the AT&T general eligibility requirements."

"General Requirements for All Unlock Requests
    -The device must be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T wireless network. (For help see Device Unlock Support )
    -It must not be reported lost or stolen.
    -It’s not associated with fraudulent activity.
    -All the device’s service commitments and installment plans are completed, and all early termination fees are paid in full.
    -The device is not currently active on a different AT&T customer’s account.
    -If you performed an early upgrade, you must wait the 14-day buyer’s remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device.
    Postpaid Customers
    -Your account must be active for at least 60 days, with no past due or unpaid balance."

"In addition to the general eligibility requirements, you must meet the following requirements to unlock a phone or tablet you purchased with a Service Commitment (contract) if you're an AT&T customer:
    -Your account must be in good standing with no past due amount or unpaid balance owed to AT&T.
    You've satisfied all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment associated with the device to be unlocked, in one of the following ways:
    -Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term
    -Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee
    -Prepayment of installment plan, see AT&T Next
    -Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies"
    Last edited by jmr1015; 01-02-15 at 01:57 PM.
    01-02-15 01:38 PM
    Yeah; I'm familiar with all that and wondering why you're preaching the correct method to me. My phone fits the criteria, I went straight to the unlock page and entered the IMEI which it could not find record of. That's how I got wrapped up dealing with drones that could not get the job done, and in filing cases with the "unlock team" flat out refused to do it.

Thanks for your input; no offense intended but it's nothing I didn't already know. I went through the correct process. AT&T failed to help me. Not sure what's difficult to understand about that.

As a reminder: Z10 purchased brand new by me with full price paid at an AT&T store, AT&T branded phone in AT&T box with AT&T logo on phone, have receipt from AT&T store with correct IMEI shown, am a current AT&T customer, phone has never been owned or used by anybody else on any other contract. AT&T's unlock page couldn't find the IMEI, I went round and round with their support people. First one wanted the receipt for proof. I got the receipt. Nobody from that point on would even accept the receipt so they could see the info as proof. To this day nobody from AT&T including the "unlock team" that denied my request has seen the receipt that AT&T insisted I get to prove I paid full price from them for the phone.

Richard
    01-02-15 03:25 PM
26 12