01-12-10 07:13 AM
99 ... 234
tools
    GIXXERJOE, I went into a local vzw corprate store and was told I could use a vzw phone on my alltel plan as long as it was not a smartphone. They claim smartphones like the BB's moto q, and palms were not able to be used on an alltel legacy plan.

I would love a vzw phone at this point. VZW tells me that my alltel curve is still using alltel towers and we have had a whole slew of problems since july 10th. I loose data service almost daily during peak work hours, and drop calls like gsm. Granted I lost data before july 10th but every blue moon, and dropped calls were so rare I would forget about them till I saw the missed call credit on my bill.
    Yeah your data is still being routed through Alltel. But the only thing that changed on July 12 was your billing into the new system.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 05:12 PM
    I also logged onto my vzw acct and it would not let me upgrade phones online. Told me I did not have a valid plan and needed to select a plan.
    08-01-09 10:02 PM
    You need to look at the whole picture. Yes...we understand the 80 million callers and M2M. I would hope VZW has M2M...as most of the other carriers do. What you fail to see is what I will refer to as a "real world situation." There are several hundred million land lines out there...far more than the 80 m VZW. Add in ATT and the other carriers and the percentage of VZW phones vs the real world becomes small in comparison. Most of my calls are to the rest of the world. I will admit that the larger VZW network and has a positive impact on my calling abilities but it is very minor in comparison to my overall typical phone usage.

Next, VZW changes my "11 Circle numbers" to "5 Friends and Family" and this creates a huge negative impact for me. Then they move the Nights from 7pm to 9pm and this creates another negative impact. I don't know about you, but by 9pm I want to hang up the phone, not place calls. Last, but not least, is the unlimited texting that is included in my Alltel data plan. No such thing with VZW according the rep in the retail store.

I am sure that there are those out there who would be attracted to have a few more minutes of calling as opposed to the feature comparison I just mentioned. As for myself, I am going to hang on to my Alltel plan as long as possible, unless the VZW plan becomes more competitive for my real world use.

Lastly, give me service that was equal to what I had with Alltel. I am still waiting for tower convergence or a hybrid PRL. Until that happens I am not getting the service I am paying for.
    Neither Alltel or Verizon has an "Unlimited Messages" feature that can be added to lines. Both Alltel's Smart Pack Plan (which I assume were talking about since this is a BlackBerry forum) and Verizons Nationwide Select plan come with Unlimited Messaging INCLUDED.

Now I know there are situations where Alltel plans will be a better value, but overall, if you "look at the whole picture," Verizon will be a better value for more people.
    08-02-09 09:10 PM
    R.O.C last time I checked Alltel had a stand alone 19.99 Unlimited MMS/SMS feature (I think it also included MWEB for standard phones).
    08-02-09 09:27 PM
    R.O.C last time I checked Alltel had a stand alone 19.99 Unlimited MMS/SMS feature (I think it also included MWEB for standard phones).
    Connect pack 3

Included: unlimited data, mobile web, and unlimited messaging. Only for dumb phones. None of this applied to smart phones.

08-02-09 09:30 PM
    Okay
    It's been a while. I couldn't remember (especially since I have the SmartChoice on both my lines). I never figured out why they got rid of the unlimited MMS pack standalone. Thanks for the clarification.
    08-02-09 11:00 PM
    Neither Alltel or Verizon has an "Unlimited Messages" feature that can be added to lines. Both Alltel's Smart Pack Plan (which I assume were talking about since this is a BlackBerry forum) and Verizons Nationwide Select plan come with Unlimited Messaging INCLUDED.

Now I know there are situations where Alltel plans will be a better value, but overall, if you "look at the whole picture," Verizon will be a better value for more people.
    My Alltel SmartPack 1200 plan has the Unlimited Alltel Message Pack. There is also an LG Banter on this plan for my GF. When I was in the VZW store and the rep was laying out a comparably priced plan, he added a $10 per phone per month charge that got us 250 texts each. Sorry...don't remember what the main plan was but he got us within one cent of what I am paying now. Given the VZW plan that was presented to me, my 10+1 Circle numbers and nights beginning at 7pm (by 9pm I am finished talking on the phone), the Alltel plan is more suited for MY personal needs. Others may come to a different conclusion for THEIR personal needs. Verizon being a better value for more people is debatable.
    08-03-09 04:20 AM
    Based on what almost everyone has posted in these forums and from my own experiences I think it's safe to say in general the alltel plans are cheaper and include more features. We are talking about comparible smart phone plans since that's what these forums are for altho in certain intances there may possibly be circumstances where one would be better off with a verizon plan.

forkup
    08-03-09 05:37 AM
    My Alltel SmartPack 1200 plan has the Unlimited Alltel Message Pack. There is also an LG Banter on this plan for my GF. When I was in the VZW store and the rep was laying out a comparably priced plan, he added a $10 per phone per month charge that got us 250 texts each. Sorry...don't remember what the main plan was but he got us within one cent of what I am paying now. Given the VZW plan that was presented to me, my 10+1 Circle numbers and nights beginning at 7pm (by 9pm I am finished talking on the phone), the Alltel plan is more suited for MY personal needs. Others may come to a different conclusion for THEIR personal needs. Verizon being a better value for more people is debatable.
    In a scenario like yours it really depends on whether or not the secondary lines(s) will have data. Because of course if it does, you're paying an extra $40 per line. But the comparable Verizon plan does include unlimited messaging, I don't know why the rep didn't show you the select plans. The 7pm nights are something that can't be matched though.
    08-03-09 05:52 AM
    In a scenario like yours it really depends on whether or not the secondary lines(s) will have data. Because of course if it does, you're paying an extra $40 per line. But the comparable Verizon plan does include unlimited messaging, I don't know why the rep didn't show you the select plans. The 7pm nights are something that can't be matched though.
    The Banter costs me $20.00/month. The rep looked up my account and designed a plan that came closest to what I am currently paying. Also, the Alltel Circle vs VZW Friends & Family works against VZW in my situation.

08-03-09 06:46 AM
    Ever since the merger down here in the south was completed I have been pushed into having to sign a new contract with verizon for my phone to work correctly. I refuse to because the plans and TOS verizon sucks. Whenever I complain about verizon all the verizon peeps tries to tell me things are better now. No they are not.. How are they better.. My TOS and plans were better with alltel. I had unlimted DATA for cheaper and more mins. Credited dropped calls and what I think is better customer service..

Everyone just tells me to shut up and take it. I know the verizon peeps are used to paying high prices but I am not going to take getting raped for "better CS"

I feel like I am treated completely different as a alltel plan member because the reps can't really make any money off me until I go red...
    I kno hw u feel.i feel like i was forced n2 a relationship i didn't wana b n.i signed my contract wit alltel literally days b4 they merged so i get 2 keep my plan til the end of my contract.I've nva been a fan of verizon.they won't even let my cousin get a new phone til she signs with them.every company i go 2 merges...cingular,sprint.lol

08-04-09 12:24 PM
    I switched from Alltel to AT&T the beginning of June because of connection issues that Alltell/Verizon was unable to resolve.

I'm a cop in Central Texas and while I know that cellular service is not 100% reliable, my service just seemed to go to **** without valid explanation over the course of three months.

--Full-signal and yet no connection possible on calls.
    --Incoming calls couldn't hear me, but I could hear the other party.
    --Calls would disconnect within seconds of connect without reason.
    --Bad static issues.

I'm on call several times a month and finally had to resort to buying a Tracfone so that I'd have a back-up for dispatch to call me on.

Alltel had no explanation (my supposition was that it was due to the equipment merger in the area) and after months of going round and round with them, they canceled my early termination fees on three lines and allowed me to leave.

I wasn't happy with the merger to begin with, and this was just the icing on the cake.
    08-04-09 02:27 PM
    When you compare the Alltel Smart Packs with the Verizon Nationwide Select plans... the prices and features are VERY similar. If you have two or more lines, and want to share more than 500 minutes, the plans are very close in price. And as you add more lines and features, the Verizon plans become more price friendly.

And for a couple of you that say the 80 million callers don't matter. Hopefully you've been informed that on Alltel you still can call any of the Verizon subscribers airtime free, they ARE included in your M2M.
    The 80 million doesn't matter especially when i don't no a soul that is on verizon any more...everybody who had it switched because of bad service years ago.my ex used to have it and it dropped his call 11 times in 1 convo.i used my circle to control my mins usage,those are the only people i talk 2.i switched to alltel days before the merger which i knew nothing about.in fact i went into a verizon store right before an alltel store.the only phones they had that weren't ridiculously ugly were extremely expensive for someone signing a 2yr contract.i looked and went straight out the door.not that a vwz rep greeted me anyway.

08-04-09 06:49 PM
    I think most people who have an issue with the conversion are just looking at all the negative things...
    There's a lot to look forward to with the merger....
    08-04-09 10:50 PM
    I think most people who have an issue with the conversion are just looking at all the negative things...
    I must not qualify as "most". I had vzw and left them for alltel. I'm not looking for the negative I am fully aware of it...that's why I left.

08-05-09 12:08 AM
    Let's just face it and admit the TRUTH. These are not negative things we are talking about, they are simply the facts. Everyone I know on an Alltel plan wants to keep it because it is just a superior plan. The features allow us to talk a lot more on the phone for less money. When the rep in the store saw the minutes I use vs what a VZW plan would allow he was man enough to recognize the comparably priced Alltel plan was superior.

The negative is this: Alltel had the bigger footprint where I live and that is why I stayed a customer over the years. Since VZW took over I can barely use my phone from home, and there are other network issues. Attempts to push a hybrid PRL to my phone have been unsuccessful. No one can tell me when convergence will be completed in my locale. I now have inferior service to what I had and the ability to fix this is zero. The inability to deal with this in a satisfactory manner is a huge negative.

I travel a lot and my roaming is better in some areas and worse in others. You can push all the hype you want, but for those of us who do not live in large cities (and some who do) our VZW experience so far has been full of empty promises and disappointing expectations. This is a negative.

08-05-09 05:02 AM
    I will stay with my Alltel plan like holding on to the Titanic. To the last and I mean very last minute. I as well have the 1200 National Freedom data plan and absolutely love it. VZW doesn't have much to compete with especially knowing my tethering is limited as well. This is bad for all the Alltel Wireless CONSUMERS. Sooner or later it will be Obama wireless anyways.
    08-05-09 01:11 PM
    I was a very happy Alltel customer. Sad to see them go. Verizons rate plans are so much more expensive than Alltel, and their customer service stinks! I was doing alot of research before Oct. 17th conversion date trying to decide my best option. After weighing all the many benefits I was receiving compared to Versions over inflated prices for very little minutes I resigned a new two year contract with Alltel, and locked in my low rate, 7:00 PM night, 11 my circle minutes and got a new Blackberry. I will keep this Alltel contract until I decide to change to Verizon ( which will NOT happen) or I get a new phone. I am more than happy to buy a phone out right from Verizon and keep my Alltel rate plan.
    10-31-09 06:28 PM
    I was a very happy Alltel customer. Sad to see them go. Verizons rate plans are so much more expensive than Alltel, and their customer service stinks! I was doing alot of research before Oct. 17th conversion date trying to decide my best option. After weighing all the many benefits I was receiving compared to Versions over inflated prices for very little minutes I resigned a new two year contract with Alltel, and locked in my low rate, 7:00 PM night, 11 my circle minutes and got a new Blackberry. I will keep this Alltel contract until I decide to change to Verizon ( which will NOT happen) or I get a new phone. I am more than happy to buy a phone out right from Verizon and keep my Alltel rate plan.
    So who ya going to switch to??

Funny thing is: you could have kept your Alltel plan and switched to a VZW device.. Oh well! Shouldn't have jumped the gun on this one!
    10-31-09 09:48 PM
    You actually are forced off of your contract once you are switched over. You can keep the old contract but they don't guarantee that the phones will work accurately. In my town if you got your phone from outside of that one zip code or from online, you were traded to Verizon. I am one of the lucky few to keep my Alltel. I am so thankful for this, the new Alltel is even better than before with only one year contract etc! Nothing has changed, and customer service is just as awesome as always. I left Alltel a few years back thinking Sprint or Verizon was better...I came running back 6 months later. The people in my are buying out of their contracts and going back to Alltel! If things keep up, you guys might wanna try it (this is only in specific locations in the South though!)
    12-15-09 02:20 AM
    You actually are forced off of your contract once you are switched over. You can keep the old contract but they don't guarantee that the phones will work accurately. In my town if you got your phone from outside of that one zip code or from online, you were traded to Verizon. I am one of the lucky few to keep my Alltel. I am so thankful for this, the new Alltel is even better than before with only one year contract etc! Nothing has changed, and customer service is just as awesome as always. I left Alltel a few years back thinking Sprint or Verizon was better...I came running back 6 months later. The people in my are buying out of their contracts and going back to Alltel! If things keep up, you guys might wanna try it (this is only in specific locations in the South though!)
    Converted customers are not forced off their contract - trust me. Current contracts have nothing to do with the Alltel phones working properly. Don't say things when you don't know what you're talking about.

You're so thankful that you got to keep your divested Alltel service that could be sold to AT&T?
    12-15-09 03:56 PM
    i just got alltel but i don't understand everyone said that alltel is now verizon why do they still have alltel in the east part of the united states is it just me or am i being lied to b/c everyone said that verizon is better yea maybe they are everywhere i live in GA alltel seem better but idk i try it for a year to see how it goes also people tells me that i will be getting screwed what do yall think

I had sprint but when you roam it will still cost you mins even when you have unlimited simply everything plan and if you roam alot they will cancel your contract
    01-11-10 02:08 AM
    i just got alltel but i don't understand everyone said that alltel is now verizon why do they still have alltel in the east part of the united states is it just me or am i being lied to b/c everyone said that verizon is better yea maybe they are everywhere i live in GA alltel seem better but idk i try it for a year to see how it goes also people tells me that i will be getting screwed what do yall think

I had sprint but when you roam it will still cost you mins even when you have unlimited simply everything plan and if you roam alot they will cancel your contract
    You're in a divested area which means you still have Alltel. The non-divested locations are the places where Alltel became Verizon.

In regards to phone selection, yeah, Verizon is better; in regards to everything else, Alltel prevails.
    01-11-10 07:51 AM
    In regards to phone selection, yeah, Verizon is better; in regards to everything else, Alltel prevails.
    First, let me state that I am NOT a fan of VZW as a company. I won't get into the reasons here as it would take more time than I am willing to commit to. However, tower convergence was finally completed where I live in Florida and I literally woke up one day, had 5 bars from my house and a new PRL. After the merger my phone was almost useless from home until I installed a signal booster. The booster is no longer necessary. I have to admit that VZW has a superior network and when tower convergence in completed around the country fewer people will have network issues. Given this and the fact LTE is on the horizon, VZW seems the company of choice if speed and reliability are at or near the top of your criteria for a cell company. It does seem Alltel is the preferred choice in some remaining rural areas. Unfortunately, Alltel did not have the deep pockets necessary to remain competitive in a rapidly expanding technological environment.
    01-12-10 07:13 AM
99 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD