I stated that at the beginning of the conversation and asked the question again at the end of the conversation to be completely clear. The rep even stated that my plan wouldn't change even though I upgraded to the Tour. Now I don't know --- I might go into a Verizon store and ask someone there
    I have no problems being the first to say this......Verizon reps in the stores are flat out lying telling Alltel customers that we have to switch to a Verizon plan in order to upgrade to the Tour. I believe the reason that they are telling people that is so they can earn more commission by switching multiple phones over to a Verizon plan instead of just the single phone that you are looking to upgrade to the Tour. I am in NC also by the way. Call customer service and don't hang up until either a representative confirms to you that you can indeed just upgrade the line or if they provide you with incorrect information ask to speak with somebody else/their manager. Basically the supervisor I spoke with tried to explain to me that the reps who were telling me that I could not upgrade without switching to Verizon were trying to "Help me." He said you can upgrade without switching your plan but their may be an additional charge per minute that the Verizon Blackberry accesses the internet as their is some kind of system that may not bill the Verizon Blackberry on an Alltel account correctly. But honestly I think he is misleading me as well because a different Customer Service rep said their will be no additional charges. It all boils down to this.....I am on a business account with 7 lines, 5 of which are Alltel Blackberries (So to the poster who is having problems with your Alltel 8330 you may have a bad device or your ESN may be associated with another account...did you buy the phone new from Alltel). All the Blackberries work correcty and we actually have a Verizon storm on the Alltel plan already and have not incurred any additional charges associated with that particular device. We are NOT switching to Verizon plans because Verizon does not provide anywhere near as a good a value as Alltel and I would rather switch than pay over $150/month MORE on the bill and get less services AND less minutes. Makes no sense whatsoever. And for those of you who may not know this the Blackberry data plan on Verizon is not bundled with SMS/MMS....you will have to pay an additonal $20/month/line to receive unlimited SMS/MMS.....nights and weekends on Verizon start at 9pm and not 7pm......AND the most numbers you can have in your friends and family is 10, we have 20.....
    Last edited by JR_Rider; 07-17-09 at 08:58 AM.
    07-17-09 07:33 AM
    Thank you, JR! I am so tired of everything thinking Verizon is doing us a favor. They're not! So far all I've gotten is, "Hi we're your new carrier and you're going to loves us cause we're the best. Now, let's see ... you just need to buy three new phones, extra money per month for less plan, oh and (in the case of my coworker) a security deposit to move all four of your 6+ year Alltel lines to us. Will that be cash?" as the little dollar signs flash in their eyes.
    07-17-09 07:56 AM
    He said you can upgrade without switching your plan but their may be an additional charge per minute that the Verizon Blackberry accesses the internet as their is some kind of system that may not bill the Verizon Blackberry on an Alltel account correctly.
    This sound pretty ludicrous.
    07-17-09 08:16 AM
    I talked to Kendrick Badge #38860 at VZW. He was very, very good and very patience with me.

Here is what I am getting so far. Please advise me if you see anything I am getting wrong here or if you have any ideas.

We are Alltel now. Have been for like 15 years. 500 minutes at $89.99 a month, plus charges for 8330 BB and two other "regular" unlimited text phones. Consistently the bill is like $138ish pre-tax and pre-insurance. My 8330 BB and one phone are new and on contract. Third phone, my husband's, is old and out of contract. My 8330 BB is primary phone.

I was thinking it would be nice to save money. So I called to get employee discount with VZW. They said to get employee discount (husband is eligible) my husband's phone (non BB, not on contract) must be the the primary account holder (mine BB phone is now primary). Once he is the primary account holder and on a new VZW contract, then all three phones must convert to VZW.

Here is the quote (again three phones, one is a BB)

$90 for Select Nationwide 700 minutes
    less $13.50 15% discount equals $76.50

Add $29.99 Blackberry Data plan less 15% that comes to $17.99

Add $15 less discount ($12.75) for VCAST and VPA (for some reason CSR said we need to have this -- he lost me on that I have no idea what this is about)

Pre-Tax Total is $134.73

Downside:

Will take several steps for us to move hubbie to primary, bring in pay stub, pick out phones, etc.

Must pay out of pocket for three new phones.

No Friends and Family so we are back to tracking minutes. And limited to 700 in order to get pricing down.

Later VZW nights and weekends start time.

VZW insurance is much less generous than Alltel. Alltel has already replaced teenager's phone twice for free ($80 deductible and limit is two claims)... one phone is a teenager's phone so this is impt to us).

Have to deal with the double/advance billing thing in the first month if we sign a new contract unless we did it on our actual billing day.

Upside:
    Save $4 a month.

Could sell new Alltel LGScoop and 8330 BB on ebay to get some $$.

Could get new cool phones.

VZW plan adds Internet to husband's primary phone (not sure why) so he could get something like the Envtouch. They said something like his phone must have this Internet access so that my BB could be cost-effective. ??

Comments, ideas and advice is welcome. Like all of you, I am frustrated with the process.
    07-17-09 08:47 AM
    you don't have to have vcast on any phone you choose, that's bs right there because my boss has verizon as well as his entire family and they don't have it nor do they want it.

see this is why i despise companies buying out other companies, i had to deal with this bull when suncom got bought out by tmobile and i ditched them when my suncom contract was up and went to at&t because i did NOT sign any contract what so ever with tmo when i got switched without informing me it was going to happen mind you either.
    07-17-09 09:17 AM
    I talked to Kendrick Badge #38860 at VZW. He was very, very good and very patience with me.

Here is what I am getting so far. Please advise me if you see anything I am getting wrong here or if you have any ideas.

We are Alltel now. Have been for like 15 years. 500 minutes at $89.99 a month, plus charges for 8330 BB and two other "regular" unlimited text phones. Consistently the bill is like $138ish pre-tax and pre-insurance. My 8330 BB and one phone are new and on contract. Third phone, my husband's, is old and out of contract. My 8330 BB is primary phone.

I was thinking it would be nice to save money. So I called to get employee discount with VZW. They said to get employee discount (husband is eligible) my husband's phone (non BB, not on contract) must be the the primary account holder (mine BB phone is now primary). Once he is the primary account holder and on a new VZW contract, then all three phones must convert to VZW.

Here is the quote (again three phones, one is a BB)

$90 for Select Nationwide 700 minutes
    less $13.50 15% discount equals $76.50

Add $29.99 Blackberry Data plan less 15% that comes to $17.99

Add $15 less discount ($12.75) for VCAST and VPA (for some reason CSR said we need to have this -- he lost me on that I have no idea what this is about)

Pre-Tax Total is $134.73

Downside:

Will take several steps for us to move hubbie to primary, bring in pay stub, pick out phones, etc.

Must pay out of pocket for three new phones.

No Friends and Family so we are back to tracking minutes. And limited to 700 in order to get pricing down.

Later VZW nights and weekends start time.

VZW insurance is much less generous than Alltel. Alltel has already replaced teenager's phone twice for free ($80 deductible and limit is two claims)... one phone is a teenager's phone so this is impt to us).

Have to deal with the double/advance billing thing in the first month if we sign a new contract unless we did it on our actual billing day.

Upside:
    Save $4 a month.

Could sell new Alltel LGScoop and 8330 BB on ebay to get some $$.

Could get new cool phones.

VZW plan adds Internet to husband's primary phone (not sure why) so he could get something like the Envtouch. They said something like his phone must have this Internet access so that my BB could be cost-effective. ??

Comments, ideas and advice is welcome. Like all of you, I am frustrated with the process.
    You missed a very important detail.....there is no longer a such thing as unlimited texts on Verizon. The highest plan they offer is 5000 texts for $20/month PER LINE....The lowest text messages package they have is 250 text for $5/month.....I don't know how many messages the other people on you account use but there is not even an unlimited option on Verizon. Oh, and I forgot to mention, your 8330 with a Verizon BB data package does not include ANY texts either so add up to another $20/month for 5000 text messages. And you lose My Circle/Friends and Family numbers.....stay on Alltel...you are not really saving money...the customer service representative left out the text messages add on, which significantly change changes the equation...Also, who did the math on the employee discount because when I take 15% off of $29.99, I come up with $25.49.....
    Last edited by JR_Rider; 07-17-09 at 09:27 AM.
    07-17-09 09:21 AM
    Yeah, but we know that you were very satisfied with your phone, coverage and customer service experience...things will be BETTER!
    07-17-09 11:03 AM
    You missed a very important detail.....there is no longer a such thing as unlimited texts on Verizon. The highest plan they offer is 5000 texts for $20/month PER LINE....The lowest text messages package they have is 250 text for $5/month.....I don't know how many messages the other people on you account use but there is not even an unlimited option on Verizon. Oh, and I forgot to mention, your 8330 with a Verizon BB data package does not include ANY texts either so add up to another $20/month for 5000 text messages. And you lose My Circle/Friends and Family numbers.....stay on Alltel...you are not really saving money...the customer service representative left out the text messages add on, which significantly change changes the equation...Also, who did the math on the employee discount because when I take 15% off of $29.99, I come up with $25.49.....
    The Select plan has unlimited text, picture and video messaging, but yes My Circle would be lost.
    07-17-09 11:32 AM
    The Select plan has unlimited text, picture and video messaging, but yes My Circle would be lost.
    You are correct, my mistake....I had never seen the Nationwide Select plan before. The additional lines apparently get unlimited texts as well.
    07-17-09 12:44 PM
    Thanks for all the replies...guess what? I called again and this time the CSR (I have her name and ID) said there is an Incentive Plan of $50 for the first Alltel phone and $25 for the second, third, etc. when you go in the store and switch over. I was like can you tell me where that is posted online and she was like, it is not on there.

I did ask if I could replace one Alltel phone with another Alltel phone and they said yes either in store or by phone. So that may the way to go until the contract is up. Daughter wants an EnvTouch.

For some reason I thought $20 gets you unlimited text with Verizon?

I am now thinking that we are indeed staying put with what we have.
    07-17-09 04:14 PM
    I agree with the threadstarter.... I used of have alltel and had no problems. When I went to verizon I hated it. I now have sprint and the simply everything and love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 12:15 AM
    For some reason I thought $20 gets you unlimited text with Verizon?
    It gets unlimited for a single line plan. (Doesn't work for familyshare.) $30 for a family-share plan gets you unlimited for all lines.

Also, for what it's worth, unlimited is overkill for some people. I can't tell you how many times I get a request for "unlimited" when the person averages maybe 50 texts a month. D: IMO, save the unlimited for the teen that sends 30k texts a month...then again, I don't know if you have one of those teens or not.

The $50 for primary and $30 for secondary line promotion is for pre-conversion port ins.

I double checked the whole "upgrade" thing. There are features put in place in the system to allow us to upgrade Alltel customers without changing anything except their data plan, and only when needed. And for what it's worth, the blackberry should still work anyway. o_O Don't go to a store for tech questions unless you're asking about bad charging ports. As much as I hate to say it, when it comes to broken internet connections, they can't see a thing.
    07-18-09 04:04 AM
    Ok, I had a decent comparison, but got too tired to do some of the math, so I'll post it a little later

pretty much, the price plans are very similar...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 07-24-09 at 04:30 AM.
    07-23-09 05:11 AM
    To the OP: VZW has NEVER credited me for a dropped call 'cause I've NEVER had one drop in over 8 years! Only companies who experience a fairly large number of drops would have to have a policy on them.

Also, went with a friend today who switched himself and his wife to a VZW family plan from Alltel. He was excited about the great service the CSR gave him. He was excited about paying LESS money for a comparable plan to his Alltel plan. He was excited about the ease of porting and the fact he was able to keep his numbers (the Alltel store people told him it couldn't be done.)
    He says after that experience he will probably pay the $200 early termination fee to get his son and business partner onto VZW.
    He was really perturbed by the CS at the local Alltel store. There was always a long wait and some CSRs would allow their friends to jump the line - I observed this and had he been waited on promptly, he would've bought a new phone and committed to another 2 years with Alltel (ATN.) Also, they really weren't very good at fixing problems.
    07-29-09 07:53 PM
    Obviously you and your friend are very happy with verizon while the OP is not. The problem that I have is the alltel bashing. I have had alltel for over two years and have never had a major problem (especially the ones I continually read about in the verizon forum) no carrier is perfect, but to each his own. Maybe I also would enjoy verizon if they offered a 7pm start time and gave me unlimited text/pic messaging like my alltel plan does. Everyones situation is different so please consider that before waving your verizon flag in our faces. Maybe with time we will be able to also say how good verizon is, but for now it remains to be seen.

07-29-09 08:15 PM
    Cheaper plan with comparible features? I find that hard to believe. Care to post the numbers?

forkup
    07-29-09 08:16 PM
    Yeah I'm callin bs on the "cheaper plan with comparible features"

07-29-09 08:30 PM
    That's the same thing that happened to me when AT&T took over Cellular One. Their website stated that you did not have to change your plan. My current plans was 50.00 unlimited minutes as long as my phone was in New York area ( all the way up to Albany ) and 30 dollars unlimited data.

But when they merged they kept all the old Cellular One customers on the roaming network and would not put them on the official AT&T Network. If I wanted to switch over to the ATT Network i have to pay $45.00 for umlimited data, and have about 600 minutes for the 50.00

Plus go on a 2 year contract - as I was no longer on contract

I felt that was a strong arm tactic. So I left and went to T-Mobile and i have $50.00 unlimited minutes no matter where my phone is and 30.00 unlimited data.

Plus I can make calls of WiFi/UMA

AT&T can kiss my GLUDIUS MAXIMUS where the SUN DONT SHINE. So I understand. They just wanted to get more money out of the Cellular One customers. Greedy scoundrels.
    Last edited by mixoplex; 07-29-09 at 11:05 PM.
    07-29-09 11:02 PM
    You should be thankful that Verizon bought Altel!
    07-29-09 11:12 PM
    I definitely hear what you're saying. My local Verizon store has been nothing but rude. I stopped in to ask about an employee discount since I am now Verizon, and was told that I had to get all new Verizon plans (including all new phones) in order to get it. I politely said "never mind then" as I didn't WANT a Verizon plan OR new phones (just got mine before the switchover on purpose) and was happy to let the conversation end there and go get my sandwich and go back to work. The rep apparently was NOT happy to let it end there. He stood there and berated me for not wanting new Verizon equipment (calling my 2 week only Blackberry 8330 "substandard equipment") and told me in this economy it was my "duty" to save myself money with my discount. I reminded him that it would cost my 3 phones to do this AND that after my discount, I would probably be paying the same amount of money for the same type of plan I have now since the Verizon plans comparable to mine were higher. He rolled his eyes at me and called me "one of those"!

That treatment pretty much locked me into the fact that I will ride out the two years I am locked into my Alltel contract with NO new upgrades to Verizon.

Soooo, since Alltel phones will not be made anymore, will I be able to buy off Ebay or retail and activate with Verizon, or will I have to buy an unlock to activate it on my Alltel legacy plan? Cause son is due for an upgrade in February and I am not paying to switch all three lines then either. Might consider it in a year, but my local store would have to go a LONG way to win me over.
    I know there are some of the good sales reps on this site, and this statement is by no means a reflection on them. But sales reps seem to have this idea that whatever it takes to get a sale is what it takes. Please don't let this experience give too much credence to if you'll give Verizon a shot.
    07-29-09 11:22 PM
    Don't worry, the government will step in and break up Verizon just like that did with AT&T back in the 80's.

How is it that AT&T and Verizon are allowed to have nearly 70% of wireless users between the 2 of them? Where are our choices as consumers? Something is going to give here, and I think it's only a matter of time before they break up wireless like they did landlines.

That's just what we need, more government intervention on a "free market." Government always does things right!
    07-29-09 11:59 PM
    Cheaper plan with comparible features? I find that hard to believe. Care to post the numbers?

forkup
    Alltel - My Circle Family Choice Plus 1000 = $84.99
    Verizon - Nationwide Basic Family SharePlan = $89.99
    The Alltel plan has 1000 minutes and the VZW plan has 1400 minutes, so 400 minutes for $5 is a plus (if you look at an increment to 2000 minutes with Alltel for $30 more that would be $12 for 400 minutes for a $7 to VZW.) QED Both plans are two lines with nationwide calling and free mobile-to-mobile. You could factor in the fact that m2m with VZW gives you free access to 80 million phones whereas Alltel's gives you access to only about 14 million before the merger. No telling how many now.
    He is in the ATN spinoffs so would not be included in the VZW or AT&T millions. So I say the VZW plan is going to be less expensive than if he stuck with Alltel.
    Also, you can't put a price on the difference in CS and here you have to compare the two store he would have to deal with.
    4Q
    07-30-09 01:22 AM
    I was comparing smart phone plans. With verizon he will lose the nights at 7pm and unlimited texting on all lines he would get with a smartplan.

forkup
    07-30-09 06:58 AM
    I was comparing smart phone plans. With verizon he will lose the nights at 7pm and unlimited texting on all lines he would get with a smartplan.

forkup
    EXACTLY! A big negative in my point of view. Screw the 80 million m2m subscribers, i'm on a family plan and those are the people i call the most. I also currently have the 1200 min smartchoice plan which gives me 10+1 my circle numbers which nullifies a lot of my plan minutes. BUT, thats just my point of view, im sure someone else will feel different.
    07-30-09 07:26 AM
    To the OP: VZW has NEVER credited me for a dropped call 'cause I've NEVER had one drop in over 8 years! Only companies who experience a fairly large number of drops would have to have a policy on them.

Also, went with a friend today who switched himself and his wife to a VZW family plan from Alltel. He was excited about the great service the CSR gave him. He was excited about paying LESS money for a comparable plan to his Alltel plan. He was excited about the ease of porting and the fact he was able to keep his numbers (the Alltel store people told him it couldn't be done.)
    He says after that experience he will probably pay the $200 early termination fee to get his son and business partner onto VZW.
    He was really perturbed by the CS at the local Alltel store. There was always a long wait and some CSRs would allow their friends to jump the line - I observed this and had he been waited on promptly, he would've bought a new phone and committed to another 2 years with Alltel (ATN.) Also, they really weren't very good at fixing problems.
    You're really fortunate that you haven't had any dropped calls with VZW because many people I know have had this problem with VZW. It is probably market and location related.

My plan comparison experience in the VZW store resulted in plans that had a one cent difference in price. The VZW ala carte plan solution gave me 300 more minutes. It went down hill for VZW from there. Circle goes from 11 to 5. Unlimited texting dropped to 250 per phone. Nights and weekends would change to 9pm from 7pm. No brainer...Alltel plan the winner. The 80 million plus subscribers with VZW means very little to me as many of my calls are to land lines (several hundred million of those!). Also, many of my friends have the ATT itoy.

Bashing the competition is a poor way to generate positive attitudes for VZW. It is also unprofessional. I can say that I have had negative experiences in both VZW and Alltel stores. My overall experience has been positive in both brands except for one thing. I am currently dealing with trying to restore satisfactory phone service from home with my Curve. The VZW reps and techs have tried to be helpful but the issue has not been resolved. My Alltel phone service was fine until VZW monkeyed with it. I am being optimistic that once tower convergence is completed in my locale that my service will be good again. Meanwhile, I am working on a temporary fix.
    07-30-09 08:24 AM
99 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD