As most of you know, we are starting to see some little tricks to get around to being able to using data programs without having an actual data plan and just our $15 unlimited email + BB Messaging plan.

I figured that rather having things scattered all over this forum that we bring it all together into one thread to make it easier for fellow rogers users to view and make most of their Rogers service.

Anyways hopefully everything is clear and this thread can be one which brins all Rogers users together! If you want, feel free to post up your PIN as well so we can add eachother to help out one another, stay informed about new updates or 'tricks' that we find.

Below are various 3rd party applications which you are able to use with the $15 Unlimited Email & Instant messaging plan
    -------------------

WEB BROWSING

Opera Mini 4
    FREE unlimited web browsing! A 3rd party application which works for most users with the personal email plan. I have not yet found a way to download things off OM4 to the BB, but hopefully we can find a way around this!

Downloading/Installing:
    -Visit http://www.operamini.com/download on your PC.

-Click the download to PC button.

-Run Desktop Manager and use the Application loader to instal OM4.

Go on your BB to run OM4 and it should work right away.

MAPS

Windows Live Search
    Windows Live Search offers a maps program, with GPS tracking, turn-by-turn directions, and local listings!

To install this to your device is a bit trickier. You will need a friend who already has WLS installed on their BB, A friend with a data plan on their sim to put in your phone OR a wi-fi enabled phone.

Files to Download to Your PC
    Thanks to curve8310 for gathering the files, and to sim_plic_i_ty for hosting the files online

-Download the files from MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    -Enter the 3 digit code at the top to continue. Wait till the timer runs down, then click Free download
    -Run the App Loader and locate the files.

Friend with WLS already installed:
    -Open up desktop manager with your friends BB plugged in. Use the transfer to another device option. Check the 3rd party app: Windows Live Search. and click NEXT. Once it gathers the information and it asks for the device that will be receiving the transfer to be plugged in, plug the USB cable into your device and click NEXT

-Once finished open up your WLS. The program WILL NOT load, however after it tries loading press the MENU key - Options - Network Configuration. Select default and input these settings:
    Gateway APN: media.com
    Gaterway IP: 172.25.0.107
    Gateway Port: 9201

Save it, and reload the application, it should work.

Friend with a data plan/Wi-Fi phone:
    -Put your friens SIM Card into your device.

-Goto Options - Advanced - TCP and under APN type in internet.com. Save, and go back to the main menu.

-Open up a browser and visit Untitled Page. Install the App. Run it to ensure it loads to the main menu.

-Remove internet.com from the APN settings, and remove the sim/turn off wi-fi. Put your sim card back into the phone and it should load

Google Maps
    Most of you know about google maps being an excellent maps program, with GPS tracking and turn-by-turn directions.

-Using the same methods to install Windows Live Search, change the APN settings to internet.com (Options - Advanced - TCP)

-Install Google maps from; Google Maps

-Run BB maps first (A problem occurs sometimes where the BB will freeze up you try to load google maps first). Close BB maps, then Open Google Maps once installed to allow it to configure

-Close Google Maps and remove the internet.com from the APN and remove your friends sim card, and input yours and it should work.

*Google maps may freeze the device once in awhile. I have not yet installed it on my device to find a way around it but in the event of it freezing, do a battery pull, runs BB Maps first, then Google maps.

INSTANT MESSAGING

IM+
    Although this program is not free to use fully (you get a 7 day trial) it will work with our walkaround. The program is $50 for a key and you are able to access programs such as MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Google Talk, Jabber, and ICQ.

- You can load it through desktop manager by downloading the appropiate version from: IM+ All-in-One Mobile Messenger: AIM/iChat, MSN/Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo!, ICQ, Jabber, Google Talk, MySpaceIM :: BlackBerry :: Download

-The program should configure by itself, but you can put internet.com under the APN just to double check.

MISCELLANEOUS

Weather Eye
    Weather Eye from The Weather Network! An awesome application which allows you get up to date weather. It previews short term, long term and can update automatically every 30 minutes!

There are 2 ways which you can get this working

Wi-Fi Phone
    - If you have a wi-fi phone you can get it directly OTA at http://weyebb.pelmorex.com/BlackBerry/

Personal Email Plan
    -Instructions on downloading and installing Weather Eye without a wi-fi phone.
    Thanks to sim_plic_i_ty for the instructions

WeatherEye (OS 4.2 and above).rar

- Unzip the files into a folder on your desktop.
    - Connect your BB to your computer and access the folder named 'blackberry'
    - If you do not already have a data folder, create a new folder and name it "data"
    - Copy the JAD and COD files into this folder and then unplug your blackberry from your computer
    - Go to the Media folder. Press the Menu button on your BB and select explore
    - Access the 'data' folder and run the JAD file
    - It will say "downloading" and then installation complete
    - Run the program and select YES when it asks to update

-After the app is installed on your BB, allow it to use automatic network settings. Now you have up to date weather notifications

Traffic Eye
    Also from the weather network. Now get up to date traffic reports! This program will come in handy when trying fight traffic coming home from work, or going down into the city.

Personal E-mail Plan
    (Same instructions as Weather Eye)
    Thanks to sim_plic_i_ty for the instructions and links

Here are the files required (JAD and COD):
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    OR
    Download these 3 files from their direct links:
    http://trafficeye.pelmorex.com/gtabb...TrafficEye.jad
    http://trafficeye.pelmorex.com/gtabb...TrafficEye.cod
    http://trafficeye.pelmorex.com/gtabb...afficEye-1.cod

- Unzip the files into a folder on your desktop.
    - Connect your BB to your computer and access the folder named 'blackberry'
    - If you do not already have a data folder, create a new folder and name it "data"
    - Copy the JAD and COD files into this folder and then unplug your blackberry from your computer
    - Go to the Media folder. Press the Menu button on your BB and select explore
    - Access the 'data' folder and run the JAD file
    - It will say "downloading" and then installation complete
    - Run the program and select YES when it asks to update

Gmail APP + Google Maps

Some people have been having problems to get google maps working. Sim_plic_i_ty figured out a way which may help people out to get google maps working. The steps are fairly simple;

gmail and google maps, obviously most users won't require gmail app as all the mail is being pushed to their bbs but gmail is required initially to get google maps to work. Both files can be downloaded directly to the computer and transferred to the bb via usb.
    After loading both apps onto the BB. For those that don't have a data plan and no wifi.

1. open up gmail log in, do not exit gmail, just hit the back button on the bb
    2.open up google maps, follow the on screen instructions, wait 5-10mins if nothing happens, do a batter pull.
    3. after battery pull log into gmail, make sure it works etc etc, again leave it open, hit the back button
    4. open google maps and it should work.
    When google map works successfully, gmail can be deleted off the BB without affecting google maps

Gmail:

http://www.labelme.org/family/blog/...Gmail%204.2.zip

Google Maps:

http://www.labelme.org/family/blog/...aps%202.0.2.zip
    ---

If anyone has any more applications or tips to add please post! If you have troubles loading anything send me a PIN message and I will do my best to help you around things
    Last edited by Davey; 05-19-08 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Added application
    02-02-08 05:42 PM
    Davey, great post! Thanks for compiling all of this together for us Rogers 15 Users (that should be the name of our club, Rogers 15!!!). I am a little worried about two things though, wanted to get your opinion:

1. Will inserting the APN settings for Windows Live enable billing? (I guess we won't know until someone's next billing cycle).

2. With all of these goodies, we will be tempted to use our data to the max. If Rogers starts seeing 200 megs a month on this plan do you think they will investigate?

I am pretty confident that the worst that can happen is that Rogers will block the workarounds---although I don't know how they will do it (and I'm not going to worry about it). I have the note inserted in my account that data used by BB messenger AND data used by viewing/downloading attachments is included in my plan, so if I get a $1000 bill I will argue them on it and they'll have to reduce it.

One thing I'd suggest you insert in your "guide" for the Windows Live Search item is DO NOT RUN IT ON THE SIM CARD AFTER INSTALLING IT, SWITCH BACK TO YOUR SIM CARD FIRST!!!"

Thanks!

Fraser
    02-03-08 08:01 AM
    Davey, also a follow up. For those who have Wifi or a friend's Sim card and use BB Maps in a particular area all the time (say the town you live in) you can use BB maps on wifi or with that sim card, and it will load the maps in the cache and you can view them offline, at least until you clear them. I am noticing that Windows Live and Google are annoyingly slow, and if I want refence to a City of Ottawa map, much easier to use the BB Maps Cache.

Is what I'm saying making sense?? It's too early and I haven't had my coffee yet!.
    02-03-08 08:04 AM
    Thanks Dave for bringing all of the confusion together!
    I do need a bit of help:

1. If I don't get a data plan (just a text-messagin one), what am I deprived from

2. If I plan on not doing that much emailing and just want the DP for the other features, which is the cheapest one for me to get?? Oh, and what are those other features?? Would the 15$ unlimited emailing and messaging be the smartest?

Thank for all your help!
    02-03-08 08:29 AM
    $15 Personal Email on Blackberry does not include texting. For 2500 Text messages you will have to pay $10.00 (or $6.67 if you have a voicemail package).

Augalline, you have to be careful. Davey, Bender, me, and others still aren't sure that all of what we are describing will not be charged. If you pick up your phone and get the $15 plan, I'd take it easy for a month or so until we can confirm no additional data charges.
    02-03-08 08:41 AM
    Hi, I have been trying now for days to get opera 4 to work on my blackberry with $15 email plan and have not been able to do it, the only difference I see is you both have a curve and I have a pearl, could this be why?
    02-03-08 08:55 AM
    Axall, we have done a lot of research on this, but for some reason it doesn't work for some people. Here is what I suggest:

1. Delete Opera from your phone completely.

2. Reinstall Opera using the Blackberry Desktop Manager Application Loader

3. Battery Pull

4. Try to run Opera. Don't worry if it doesn't work the first time (get through the loading process on the handheld). Battery Pull, HTTP.

Opera should work now...if it doesn't, I can't figure out any other way to make it work!
    02-03-08 08:59 AM
    Davey, great post! Thanks for compiling all of this together for us Rogers 15 Users (that should be the name of our club, Rogers 15!!!). I am a little worried about two things though, wanted to get your opinion:

1. Will inserting the APN settings for Windows Live enable billing? (I guess we won't know until someone's next billing cycle).

2. With all of these goodies, we will be tempted to use our data to the max. If Rogers starts seeing 200 megs a month on this plan do you think they will investigate?

I am pretty confident that the worst that can happen is that Rogers will block the workarounds---although I don't know how they will do it (and I'm not going to worry about it). I have the note inserted in my account that data used by BB messenger AND data used by viewing/downloading attachments is included in my plan, so if I get a $1000 bill I will argue them on it and they'll have to reduce it.

One thing I'd suggest you insert in your "guide" for the Windows Live Search item is DO NOT RUN IT ON THE SIM CARD AFTER INSTALLING IT, SWITCH BACK TO YOUR SIM CARD FIRST!!!"

Thanks!

Fraser

I think that by inserting the APN settings into WLS itself wont make to much of a difference since you are not inputting any APN settings into the blackberry itself where all of the 'data' would be sent through. Since they are all gateway settings im going to think of it as a backdoor entrance into getting the program to run off data 'wandering the airwaves' vs going through rogers then to our phones. Just a personal thought.

I was talking to brucewayne yesterday and he mentioned he received one statement already and he hasnt been charged. However it does show the amount of data you used - but with no additional charges. Which brings it to the next idea about if rogers sees our statements with continuous data being used without any charge they may be like ! Hopefully they wont stick their noses into our bills and let us be. You can always argue with them, I didnt know my plan would allow me to use data, it says right there its an Email and Instant messaging plan, and that there is no fine print mentioning any excess data charges. (Which im 98% sure they dont have). I think the worst they will do is send a notice out to everyone who is suscribed during a billing statement and mention that any additional data charges incured other then Email & IM will be billed for. But by then hopefully they will have an unl. data plan for us!

As for right now,we just need to hang tight. Im using my OM4 quite a bit, but still keep an eye that I dont use it on random stupid things in case somehow I am the lucky lottery winner that will get charged. Unfortunately I have anther 2 or so weeks before I get my statement.
    02-03-08 09:57 AM
    Davey, also a follow up. For those who have Wifi or a friend's Sim card and use BB Maps in a particular area all the time (say the town you live in) you can use BB maps on wifi or with that sim card, and it will load the maps in the cache and you can view them offline, at least until you clear them. I am noticing that Windows Live and Google are annoyingly slow, and if I want refence to a City of Ottawa map, much easier to use the BB Maps Cache.

Is what I'm saying making sense?? It's too early and I haven't had my coffee yet!.

Yep, makes perfect sense. It is a good idea to keep your town/city on cache just for reference but you are unable to use BB Maps even with wi-fi (I tried it numerous times with different settings and still no luck) You would need a friends SIM card with data. But I heard if you do have a data plan and you use wi-fi that it will work to run everything that the data plan can run
    02-03-08 10:01 AM
    Hi Again, well here is where I am at now, I removed sim card from my pearl and put it into my old motorola v3 and I am able to browse the internet using the default browser on the v3, so I went to opera mini site and downloaded the Opera 4 no problem from my phone went to install it , all ok so far, run opera 4 and I get same result from my pearl , failed to connect. Seems weird, I am able to go to any site using v3 browser but cant use opera, any other apps I might be able to download while I have sim in my v3?
    02-03-08 10:10 AM
    Even though it shouldnt make a difference, what are your APN settings set to on the BB (Options - Advanced - TCP)? Most of us have it completely cleared and things seem to work fine.

Im not sure if this step will make a difference, but just trying to use a method from other apps. Change the APN to internet.com and save it, then try Opera. If it loads to the main screen then remove the APN settings and try it again.

If you can load to the main screen on Opera, trying pressing Menu - Settings, and under Network at the button select HTTP.

Did you install OM4 from the link I gave in the first post in this thread? (www.operamini.com/download from the PC)

Im guessing from the previous post, that when you got the 'failed to connect' that you did a battery pull? Try yet another one of the above steps dont work (if you can access any of them). I know on my 8800 I had to do 2 battery pulls befor OM4 started working.

As far as other programs to download, if you want you can try downloading Windows Live Search and transfer it over to the BB (If thats possible) Else wise im not sure what other apps you can download
    02-03-08 10:21 AM
    Thanks for the help
    maybe I'll pay that 25$ a month + voice if my mom lets me

but also, what am I deprived of if I dont get the data plan?
    02-03-08 10:35 AM
    As far as I am aware, this is what you are deprived of:

1. BB Browser (WAP Browsing) and OTA installs,

2. Facebook App (and other RIM Branded Apps),

3. Anything that uses data other than the workarounds we have found so far.

That help?

Fraser
    02-03-08 10:43 AM
    that jelps but I have some questions (sorry I'm new to this):
    1. whats OTA installs
    2. what are workaraounds and what uses data

Thanks for your help!
    02-03-08 11:08 AM
    OTA Installs - Over The Air. Which meaning downloading things on your blackberry device from the blackberry itself.

Workarounds - Pretty much as the name says, working around what your 'suppose' to get and getting new things for free. Such as using the Opera Mini 4 on your blackberry to get free web browsing (if you have the $15 personal email plan).

Quite a few things use data, such as web browsing, viewing maps, instant messaging, 3rd party apps which have access to getting things as in a search from the net (uses data to send & receive)

Hope this helps
    02-03-08 11:27 AM
    so really do you believe its at all worth it to get the curve 8310 without a DP?
    02-03-08 12:03 PM
    In my opinion, its not worth getting an actual data plan. But thats just a personal opinion. I use this phone for personal use, and some people use it for business where they have no option but to get a data plan. But getting the $15 Personal Email plan makes much sense considering all the things that we are able to get working for free(If the blackberrys cooperate).
    02-03-08 12:18 PM
    if I get the 15$ plan I can still get all the features, right?
    02-03-08 01:58 PM
    Yep, all the features we will be talking about on this thread.
    02-03-08 02:39 PM
    if I get the 15$ plan I can still get all the features, right?
    A side note here to everyone, this is known to be true:

To get the full benefit of the workarounds it is best to, prior to adding the personal email plan have regular data access on your account.

Reason why, if you had no data ie; Rogers blocking it at your request and then switch to this plan none, repeat NONE of these workarounds will work it has been tried and proven. We don't know why.
    02-03-08 03:34 PM
    Wow, this post has made my day!!! Thank you guys! One request, I don't have a friend with a BB and data so can someone post or email me the Google Maps application?
    02-04-08 09:56 AM
    Bruce, this is going to make me feel really stupid but umm...
    what exactly does your post mean? I'm really curious
    but could you like break it down in simpler words? Thanks
    02-04-08 10:10 AM
    Augalline, what brucewayne is saying is that for some reason, if you don't first have a regular data plan or full BlackBerry Plan, then none of these work arounds will work. So essentially what you need to do is get the $5 or $10 mobile internet plan on your phone for one billing cycle (which will allow you to do all the OTA installs you need) and then switch to the Personal Email on Blackberry Plan. I don't know why this is the case and it seems he doesn't either, but that appears to be the way it is.
    02-04-08 10:26 AM
    For those who are interested, Google Maps is not available in any way other than an over-the-air download as described above.
    02-04-08 10:26 AM
    I wonder if you put someone sim card who has a data plan will give you the required settings for your phone as opposed to getting a data plan on your sim. I guess that's why things worked so easily for me when it comes to these work arounds

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-08 11:59 AM
727 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD