I was just thinking....it took me going into my yahoo mail on the web to look at subfolder messages to realize that the BIS was down this morning (seeing unread messages in the InBox that had not yet been delivered to my Tour).

Then I got thinking it would be neat if we had ways to get this info out without having to log onto CB and see if anyone had posted.

Soooo, some thoughts on options.....perhaps one...perhaps a combo......

1) Twitter

Since many of us use Twitter, maybe we can either have the CrackberryKevin account tweet about outages or perhaps create a new Twitter account called CBOutages which Kevin (or whomever) could use to tweet about possible outages. We could communicate back using this method if we thought there was an outage.

Obviously doesn't work if the outage effects data receipt

2) PINs

Perhaps Kevin (or whomever) could create an Outage Distribution List of PINs and could use BBM to send notification to those that have asked to be included in the Distribution List. We could communicate back using this method if we thought there was an outage.

Obviously doesn't work if BBM is effected by an outage.

Anyone have any other ideas? I would probably want to do both of the above.
    12-17-09 11:39 AM
    Try following @dataoutages
    12-17-09 11:51 AM
    #2 sounds good to me!
    12-17-09 11:52 AM
    Cool. Thanks!
    12-17-09 11:55 AM

BTW, there's a typo in your outage link for today's outage. Your website uses .....rrim-bis.... and your link in your tweet just says rim-bis......

Thanks! Following!
    12-17-09 12:17 PM
    BTW, there's a typo in your outage link for today's outage. Your website uses .....rrim-bis.... and your link in your tweet just says rim-bis......

Thanks! Following!
    Dataoutages is largely a failure. I attempted to seek updates from them during the September and November outages, and again today, but their website yields little information, and tweets are infrequent. Unless Dataoutages is going to make a concerted effort to get an "in" with RIM or the carriers, provide us with master ticket numbers, summary of issues, areas/carriers affected, ETRs and updates I won't consider them any more useful or reliable than CB forums. In fact, far more information on today's outage was yielded through CB forums than through the one (1) post on Dataoutages' status page.

On to what we need: as I stated in the thread regarding the 12/17/09 BIS outage, we need RIM to provide a status page off of blackberry.com. Look at OpenDNS' status page or Google's status page for examples of required information. RIM has an obligation, IMO, to provide this service to us. Personally, I don't want to receive a thousand tweets or PIN messages from people saying "I'm out in Omaha on Boostberry!". That's useless. All that I care about are: 1) updates from RIM; and 2) updates from the carriers. That's it. Anecdotal posts that "I'm still down in Sioux Falls" are pointless, and do nothing but clog up Outages threads. I would suggest that the Mods closely monitor these threads and delete all posts except those from reliable sources with root cause info, status info, and ETR. No offense, but I don't care if you're unable to BBM in Detroit. That information tells us nothing about the outage itself, which is what the Outage threads *should* do.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but there's something like 40 pages of posts on the 12/17/09 "ALERT:Major BIS Outage?" thread. I have no time to sift through 500 posts to find the one single post that actually contained a master ticket number, information regarding the outage (maintenance related), information about the restart of BIS-E systems, and ETR. IMO delete every other post and leave that one. Then closely monitor the thread, deleting useless posts.

Bottom line though: RIM needs to step up and provide a comprehensive status page.
    12-17-09 02:09 PM
    RIM needs to handle it in real time.
    We pay a premium for their service and they need to start acting like it.
    It's not difficult to put a link on their page that shows server status.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that RIM is both arrogant and lazy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 02:31 PM
    Dataoutages is largely a failure. I attempted to seek updates from them during the September and November outages, and again today, but their website yields little information, and tweets are infrequent. Unless Dataoutages is going to make a concerted effort to get an "in" with RIM or the carriers, provide us with master ticket numbers, summary of issues, areas/carriers affected, ETRs and updates I won't consider them any more useful or reliable than CB forums. In fact, far more information on today's outage was yielded through CB forums than through the one (1) post on Dataoutages' status page.

On to what we need: as I stated in the thread regarding the 12/17/09 BIS outage, we need RIM to provide a status page off of blackberry.com. Look at OpenDNS' status page or Google's status page for examples of required information. RIM has an obligation, IMO, to provide this service to us. Personally, I don't want to receive a thousand tweets or PIN messages from people saying "I'm out in Omaha on Boostberry!". That's useless. All that I care about are: 1) updates from RIM; and 2) updates from the carriers. That's it. Anecdotal posts that "I'm still down in Sioux Falls" are pointless, and do nothing but clog up Outages threads. I would suggest that the Mods closely monitor these threads and delete all posts except those from reliable sources with root cause info, status info, and ETR. No offense, but I don't care if you're unable to BBM in Detroit. That information tells us nothing about the outage itself, which is what the Outage threads *should* do.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but there's something like 40 pages of posts on the 12/17/09 "ALERT:Major BIS Outage?" thread. I have no time to sift through 500 posts to find the one single post that actually contained a master ticket number, information regarding the outage (maintenance related), information about the restart of BIS-E systems, and ETR. IMO delete every other post and leave that one. Then closely monitor the thread, deleting useless posts.

Bottom line though: RIM needs to step up and provide a comprehensive status page.
    I prefer your way of looking at it than mine. Well said!

Come on RIM, time to step up!!!!!!
    12-18-09 08:36 AM

Ok, I disagree with your opinion that DataOutages is a failure. You're complaining that RIM and the carriers don't provide information but yet you criticize the one site that does give out information??
    Sometime is takes a while to get ticket numbers, direct causes, who's affected, etc. But if there is an outage you can believe that DO is going to have it up quick. If you would check the comments of each post on the site, you would see there is more info. The first mention of the outage was at 8:55am and an Official Statement from RIM was posted at 9:43am. As of 10:47, nothing had been issued to high level tech support. Sometimes ticket numbers are easier to grab than others. And I will say with confidence that there are people from RIM on the list. Not to mention the other 4K+ people on the mailing list. Most of the time, the pertinent information needed is provided by DataOutages.

Regarding the thread, this a forum and posting is what it's about. People want to post what ever they want, and are free to do so. You look at the thread, know there's an outage so you don't have to read all posts. If many of posts that talk about people individual experiences about the outage are something you don't want to read, then don't read the entire thread and just stay tuned to DataOutages. But the site is in no way shape or form a failure.

I will agree that RIM could give it's customers a particular site to go to for outages, and should, but no need to try an bash the only site that does give out the information you're looking for.
    12-18-09 11:19 AM
    After C_X's post, I suppose it's time for me to chime in since I am the owner of the site.

We do NOT report on EVERY little outage that's going on. If New York is having problems, we don't know if that's a tower issue, a RIM issue, a carrier issue, etc. We do our very best to report everything that we know affects the majority of people. A lot of times, our info comes from people that post to the list but since it's moderated, we'll put that info in the post or direct them to the post. Some of the staff were not affected and some were. A LOT of us get our emails ONLY on our blackberry's and don't know that a problem is going on until we are made aware of it.

We're at 4500+ for subscribers and in the hundereds of thousands for RSS subscribers so some people must value our information, that includes all the carriers. I know as fact that a lot of carriers have our feed going to their help desk so they know if there's a problem before people start calling in. We have hundreds of .gov and .mil people subscribed to the list and that includes people from agencies that I can't mention.

As C_X mentioned, it can take HOURS for us to get a trouble ticket number or Official Statment from RIM or a carrier on what's going on. As soon as we get that, we make sure that it's posted right away to the mail list as well as the news site.

As far as not posting on twitter, why would we post something if there's not a problem? It makes no sense what so ever to us to do so. When a post is made to the news site then it's posted to twitter.

Everyone has a Opinion and you've stated yours. We'll continue to post the relevant information when we get it, as we get it. Obviously we're doing something right to continue to grow each day and our bes-admins list is probably the busiest list that I've seen as that's always going strong daily.
    12-18-09 09:25 PM
    Ok, I disagree with your opinion that DataOutages is a failure. You're complaining that RIM and the carriers don't provide information but yet you criticize the one site that does give out information??
    Sometime is takes a while to get ticket numbers, direct causes, who's affected, etc. But if there is an outage you can believe that DO is going to have it up quick. If you would check the comments of each post on the site, you would see there is more info. The first mention of the outage was at 8:55am and an Official Statement from RIM was posted at 9:43am. As of 10:47, nothing had been issued to high level tech support. Sometimes ticket numbers are easier to grab than others. And I will say with confidence that there are people from RIM on the list. Not to mention the other 4K+ people on the mailing list. Most of the time, the pertinent information needed is provided by DataOutages.

Regarding the thread, this a forum and posting is what it's about. People want to post what ever they want, and are free to do so. You look at the thread, know there's an outage so you don't have to read all posts. If many of posts that talk about people individual experiences about the outage are something you don't want to read, then don't read the entire thread and just stay tuned to DataOutages. But the site is in no way shape or form a failure.

I will agree that RIM could give it's customers a particular site to go to for outages, and should, but no need to try an bash the only site that does give out the information you're looking for.
    In reviewing my post I would, to do it over again, not use the word failure. I'm a subscriber of DO myself, and to their tweets. My frustration lies more with RIM's opacity regarding non-scheduled service disruptions than in DO's inability to get timely information from RIM. Nonetheless, if a site is going to hold itself out as the go-to source for reliable, timely information it would help if they were able to do that. Look at outages.org, as an example, or NANOG. Both are more efficient at providing real-time disruption reports, from typically reliable sources, than DO has been. That's just my experience though, and of course mileage may vary. My recollection of the November 2009 BIS disruption was that there were no posts to DO regarding the disruption for hours after it had been reported in hundreds of posts on CB.

Really though, I'm not trying to bash DO. As I suggested, and you implied, it would be helpful to have RIM linked up somehow with DO so information can be provided in a bit more timely manner. I'd guess you'd agree that it'd be preferable to go to DO for disruption information than to sort through loads of posts here. It's just cleaner, more efficient, and a far better use of my time. As I mentioned, it literally took going through a *lot* of pages of anecdotal posts to find the MT # and info on what RIM was doing to resolve the problem. Immediately after finding that post here I cross-referenced DO, and the same information wasn't available there.

In the end, I suppose I'm left with checking DO and sorting through posts here when BIS craps out. This all would be solved it RIM would implement a real-time systems status page, searchable by either location and/or carrier. If Google, Rackspace, Voxel, OpenDNS, eBay, CraigsList, Twitter, Comcast, Yahoo!, BellSouth, mobileMe, Tiscali, and The Ohio State University can do it, certainly RIM can - and they should. Think of the cumulative time saved (dollars saved) by dramatic reductions in call center traffic and by end users, the reduction in backlog as a result of substantially fewer "Test" messages transiting the network, not to mention the goodwill generated by RIM opening the curtain just a little bit to its users, who rely on their services.

If my original post regarding DO read as a rant/bash that was not my intent. I will, however, stand by my perceptions, my observations, and my experience.
    12-18-09 09:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD