I just got a Curve 8330 on VZW, but it seems there's issues with volume for a bit of people. While most people say it's always affecting them, it's 50/50 for me, sometimes it seems fine other times half of the conversation is "what?" AT&T's coverage map shows best/good signal in my most frequently visited places (while Verizon's map only shows that there is in fact coverage, it's usually very low- in San Jose, CA- 1million people, c'mon Verizon...). Plus the fact that my GPS is crippled makes me .

Just wondering if anyone had any comparisons between data on AT&T vs. Verizon. Most of my data is minor or background, no huge downloads or streaming. (Google Maps, very occasional browsing, then jsut background data for email, facebook, jivetalk, weather, etc).

Also if there's anyone reading in the South San Jose, CA area- care to comment on AT&T coverage?
    06-22-08 03:05 PM
    Check to make sure that AT&T hasn't crippled their GPS also. I hear that a lot of carriers are doing that. SUX!!
    06-22-08 03:08 PM
    I've never had any issues with data or GPS on AT&T. works great for me. Never any overages, extra charges or crippled GPS. Even when I'm in areas with 1 or 2 bars, everything still works great.
    06-22-08 03:12 PM
    Check to make sure that AT&T hasn't crippled their GPS also. I hear that a lot of carriers are doing that. SUX!!
    Ugh, last I checked/heard it was only Verizon (at least in the US). I do remember reading comments around here abotu people telling AT&T how VZW crippled GPS and such and they had a "thats just messed up" kind of reaction.

Also, last I checked GPS was a free service, and we're paying for the hardware, I mean really give us a break.
    06-22-08 03:15 PM
    Tmobile is where its at!
    06-22-08 03:20 PM
    I've never had any issues with data or GPS on AT&T. works great for me. Never any overages, extra charges or crippled GPS. Even when I'm in areas with 1 or 2 bars, everything still works great.
    Yeah, on VZW it seems that random places that I go, like a restaurant, or a store, or places like that I get 5 bars, but whenever I'm at home, work, friends houses, etc, I'm stuck with 1-2, if any bars, and while none of my other Verizon phones had a problem with it, it seems with the Curve if I only have 1-2 bars, the volume is low, 3+ and it's fine. Might be a coincidence...not sure though. I played with some phone options and I'm going to see how that turns out. I've liked Verizon's coverage (at least in my travels, it's been way better), but I know AT&T's doing much better, but I really hate everything else about Verizon (and sadly, like 99% of any phone's functionality goes to 0 without signal).
    06-22-08 03:21 PM
    Tmobile is where its at!
    Had tmobile a while back, didn't like a single thing about them. Coverage sucked everywhere I went, and their customer service was horrible. =P
    06-22-08 03:23 PM
    Had tmobile a while back, didn't like a single thing about them. Coverage sucked everywhere I went, and their customer service was horrible. =P
    damn...tough break
    Tmobile has been the best company ive ever had...my customer service is amazing :shrugs:

well i hear Sprint is good...
    personally i just dont like AT&T they screwed me over by $700...
    06-22-08 03:32 PM
    At&t does not cripple GPS
    06-22-08 03:34 PM
    Not sure where you go, but I am from Fort Worth and went to Palm Beach Gardens, FL and had no data coverage at all. 30 days later went to Oklahoma and had no service at all, phone or otherwise. Called customer service and was told since I hadn't updated my roaming coverage in 2 weeks that had to be the issue, even though they said I should only update at most monthly. I cancelled my service on that call and switched to AT&T and have been happy since.
    There are problems with all cell providers, you just have to find what works best for your needs.
    06-22-08 03:36 PM
    I'm not sure where the free GPS is coming from... AT&T Navigator
    06-22-08 03:38 PM
    im in palm beach gardens, fl and tmobile gives me better service than At&t did

huh odd...
    06-22-08 03:38 PM
    I've had AT&T for about 15 years and I love them. They've always been really good to me and I've never had a problem with the coverage, customer service or GPS. I'm in LA.
    06-22-08 03:41 PM
    I'm not sure where the free GPS is coming from... AT&T Navigator
    AT&T does not charge for GPS, they do however charge for their Navigator service. I've used my GPS with Google maps and with Nav4All, and it works, and it's free.
    06-22-08 03:46 PM
    lol Chaz is a blackberry god :P
    06-22-08 03:51 PM
    Hmm, good to know. Guess they don't want us telling that to customers >< lol and with good reason.
    06-22-08 03:51 PM
    AT&T does not charge for GPS, they do however charge for their Navigator service. I've used my GPS with Google maps and with Nav4All, and it works, and it's free.
    Yeah the GPS chip in Verizon's phones ONLY work with VZNavigator for $10/month. No free GPS with Google Maps, or anything else for Verizon customers.. Far as I know, most, if not all, other US carriers allow free access to the GPS chip.

Edit: as long as you turn your GPS from "911 Only" to "Location On" any equipped, non-Verizon phone should work fine with GPS on any other program.
    06-22-08 03:52 PM
    So after weighing pro's and con's... if I switch to AT&T with a 8310, I lose video recording and 32mb, but I gain GPS, most likely call quality, and possibly the option for a Bold depending on when it comes out vs. my 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Guess I gotta find some friend with AT&T and see how their signal is...
    06-22-08 06:55 PM
    First off, I have AT&T and an 8310. Now I know that every carrier has there good spots and bad but I'm honestly not very happy with AT&T. Where I live, the service seems to be the worse! Depending on where I'm standing in my house, I get 1 or 2 bars. Seriously, I got a better signal in Beijing standing on the great wall of China then I get at my house. And my house is in the north west corner of the Phoenix valley in Arizona. A large population and lots of cell towers. It's very frustrating.
    06-22-08 07:15 PM
    That's kind of how I stand with my 8330 on VZW right now, I get 1-2 bars at home in a city with 1million people. Sometimes it's been fine, but usually both incoming and outgoing volume are way too low. I'm not sure what to do.
    06-22-08 07:23 PM
    First off, I have AT&T and an 8310. Now I know that every carrier has there good spots and bad but I'm honestly not very happy with AT&T. Where I live, the service seems to be the worse! Depending on where I'm standing in my house, I get 1 or 2 bars. Seriously, I got a better signal in Beijing standing on the great wall of China then I get at my house. And my house is in the north west corner of the Phoenix valley in Arizona. A large population and lots of cell towers. It's very frustrating.

I hope At&t works out for you. But check out the link below, to see how coverage in your area would be:

AT&T Coverage Viewer
    06-22-08 08:21 PM
    i have never had a problem with ATT! i have gotton ahmazing customer service from them! i'll tell you my stories if you want to hear...

i very very very rarely ever drop a call. great coverage and service and rate plans! everything fits my needs. i am trying to get my parents to switch!!

let me know if you have any questions. just remember that every carrier will have users that have problems with the service. this is true for all brand names. so good luck
    06-22-08 08:33 PM
    I live in South San Jose (95124 zip code) and also am considering moving to AT&T. I've been with Verizon for 12+ years and generally have been happy with their coverage, customer service, etc. However, continue to be disappointed with Verizon's policies regarding phones (e.g. limiting the GPS capabilities, many of times releasing phones later than competitors, etc.). I also want the Bold and don't want to wait until 2009.

So I did a survey of my neighborhood association to see what experiences people have with various cell phone providers.

Below are the answers filtered by only AT&T customers.

---------------------------

HOW MANY BARS OF SIGNAL STRENGTH DO YOU GET WHEN INSIDE YOUR HOUSE?

1 bar - 7.7%
    2 bars - 15.4%
    3 bars - 15.4%
    4 bars - 38.5%
    5 bars - 23.1%

IN GENERAL, DO YOU GET GOOD CELL COVERAGE WITH YOUR CELL PHONE PROVIDER? (AT&T in this case)

No - FREQUENTLY experience dropped calls and/or no service - 7.7%
    Sometimes - SOMETIMES experience dropped calls and/or no service - 15.4%
    Yes - VERY RARELY experience dropped calls and/or no service - 76.9%

IN GENERAL, ARE YOU SATISFIED WITH THE PERFORMANCE OF YOUR CELL PHONE PROIVDER'S DATA NETWORK (e.g. coverage, speed, capabilities, etc.)

No: UNSATISFIED with the performance of the data network - 7.7%
    Yes: SATISFIED with the performance of my data network - 46.2%
    N/A: NOT APPLICABLE. Do not subscribe to a data plan - 46.2%

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WITH YOUR CURRENT CELL PHONE PROVDER? (AT&T in this case)

Less than 1 year - 15.4%
    1 - 2 years - 15.4%
    2 - 3 years - 15.4%
    3 - 4 years - 0.0%
    4 - 5 years - 23.1%
    5+ years - 30.8%

IN GENERAL, HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR CELL PHONE PROVIDER'S CUSTOMER SERVICE? (AT&T)

Horrible! - 0.0%
    Bad - 0.0%
    OK - 61.5%
    Good - 30.8%
    Outstanding - 7.7%

WOULD YOU RECOMMEND YOUR CURRENT CELL PHONE PROIVDER TO A FRIEND, FAMILY MEMBER, OR COLLEAGUE?

No - WOULD NOT recommend my cell phone provider - 15.4%
    Maybe - MAYBE would recommend my cell phone provider - 23.1%
    Yes - WOULD recommend my cell phone provider - 61.5%
    06-22-08 10:46 PM
    Good post...

Definitely get feedback from others with AT&T in your area... Also utilize the 30 days buyer's remorse to the fullest

AT&T's 3g data network has been proven faster than Verizon/Sprint and by a pretty large margin. I don't have a link to the info at the moment, but will post when I find it. A good thing about the 3g data on at&t is the simultaneous voice and data. I hate having to wait until the call ends to receive a instant message, picture message, BB messenger or email. I want to be able to look up movie times while on the phone with the girl I'm going with, all on the go.
    06-23-08 12:43 AM
    I myself, have had no problems with AT&T and would reccommend them as a carrier
    06-23-08 06:38 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD