I am currently w/ ATT and have a curve w/o a data plan (i just use my limited data) and am thinking of switching to TMo since the plans are much cheaper. I was wondering how all the TMo ppl like their service? Any enouraging words from TMo ppl or words from ATT ppl of why I should stick w/ ATT? One thing I do like about ATT is the red curve vs. the titanium curve (I hate the buttons on the titanium cause they're so much brighter) but this can be easily overlooked if worth it. Also, with a limited data plan on ATT WiFi would be nice but obviously ATT doesn't have a curve w/ WiFi so my q is what good is WiFi if you have an unlimited data plan? I would almost rather have the GPS w/ unlimited data, just in case kind of thing.
    04-24-08 07:06 PM
    I've been with TMobile for 8 years and have ZERO complaints. Good service, good value, good customer service. Check the coverage maps because there are a few places in the States where signal is too weak. But I've used it all over MN, TX and a few other states and always have my bars.
    04-24-08 07:20 PM
    WiFi may not be the best thing in the world if you have a data plan and always have good service.. but it does help in the case that your don't get as strong of a signal somewhere you have WiFi.

But.. I am also thinking of going to T-Mobile and the main reason is the UMA calling features. This basically allows you to make calls (minutes from your normal plan, unless u buy the unlimited wifi calling) from anywhere you have WiFi access. Because I travel out of the country often, this would allow me to make calls from my regular T-mobile number, to anyone in the states via WiFi just as if I was actually in T-mobile network range. Right now T-mobile is the only carrier in the US that offers this feature and if you ask me.. thats a pretty useful feature for that WiFi BB!
    04-24-08 09:40 PM
    for me...

1. coverage where i need it. live, work, and play.

2. best in customer care hands down, no one can top t-mobile. and it's 24/7/365. (JD Power awards up the yin-yang to prove it)

3. UMA. the only service provider in the USA with this feature. and ITS GREAT!!!

4. Rate plans are the best and the cheapest. our unlimited data is just that....unlimited, no extra charges for tethering or extra subscriptions needed. So we can make full use of our blackberry without worry.
    04-24-08 11:23 PM
    TMobiles BB plans are great. I would try there service for 30 days and see what kind of reception you get where you live. Ultimately that is the most important. If they have the same reception as ATT your good to go.

The only thing ATT offers is first dibs on new BB's and in my particular area excellent coverage. If TMobiles coverage was even close to what I'm getting with ATT I would probably switch to save money.

I have been happy with ATT but if I could find the same service for cheaper I would do it
    04-25-08 01:28 AM
    TMobiles BB plans are great. I would try there service for 30 days and see what kind of reception you get where you live. Ultimately that is the most important. If they have the same reception as ATT your good to go.

The only thing ATT offers is first dibs on new BB's and in my particular area excellent coverage. If TMobiles coverage was even close to what I'm getting with ATT I would probably switch to save money.

I have been happy with ATT but if I could find the same service for cheaper I would do it
    WiFi may not be the best thing in the world if you have a data plan and always have good service.. but it does help in the case that your don't get as strong of a signal somewhere you have WiFi.

But.. I am also thinking of going to T-Mobile and the main reason is the UMA calling features. This basically allows you to make calls (minutes from your normal plan, unless u buy the unlimited wifi calling) from anywhere you have WiFi access. Because I travel out of the country often, this would allow me to make calls from my regular T-mobile number, to anyone in the states via WiFi just as if I was actually in T-mobile network range. Right now T-mobile is the only carrier in the US that offers this feature and if you ask me.. thats a pretty useful feature for that WiFi BB!
    agreed w/ reaver.
    T-mo has better deal, but unfortunately T-mo coverage in my area is beyond suck. if it was good, I would have switch in an instant.

and also agreed w/ Sily12
    I would choose Wi-fi if I could b/c of the UMA call features. ( maybe even set up Vo-Ip with Skype) if only I could get good call coverage with T-mo. but see above again .....

other than that I am happy with AT&T. Their CS is very good in my personal experience.
    Last edited by Optimus_Prime; 04-28-08 at 12:09 PM. Reason: addt'l info
    04-28-08 12:07 PM
    I was ready to leave TMO last September after 6 years of service. Service at my home was so bad that I could only use my phone in one room. EDGE was so slow, I would only use my bb for browsing on the rarest times. Then I got my curve.

Since the curve (8320) and the @home service, I have no complaints. WiFi / UMA is GREAT. I've been able to reduce my phone plan minutes saving money and remove my land line saving even more money.

BTW if GPS is important just add a GPS bluetooth puck. I did, it works great
    04-28-08 12:33 PM
    I have a friend in Seattle and he has no complaints whatsoever.

Shame they are not so hot over here in the UK!
    04-28-08 12:49 PM
    I left VZW after 8 years and it was like pulling teeth. (And leaving ATT for Verizon was easy). I can't believe I didn't leave sooner.

I think TMO has had a crush of new subscribers recently, because the data network seems a little overwhelmed in some areas (esp. Chicago).
    04-28-08 08:32 PM
    \ am thinking of switching to TMo
    I've been with Verizon (so-so service) as well as AT&T (just the worst). In Southern California, AT&T is consistently rated as one of the poorest service providers. From day one with T-Mobile, I immediately noticed a significant improvement in service and of course pricing.

I would recommend T-Mobile without hesitation. In my experience, they are the best in the business. A+ service.
    05-01-08 02:37 AM
    Been with Tmo too for about 6 years and have no complains here.

Customer Service is really good. Very polite and friendly group.
    05-01-08 04:48 AM
    im thinking of switching too, my ATT bill is just ridiculous!!
    i was checking some of the rates with TMO....can i just cancel my contract with ATT and use the same phone to use for TMO?
    05-07-08 09:31 PM
    I just recently switched to Tmo from Verizon. While the coverage isn't as good as Verizons its pretty good and the wifi unlimited UMA calling is great. The Customer Service is AMAZING it has mostly been a pleasant experience dealing with their customer service.
    05-07-08 09:37 PM
    It's all about what works for you. I like having a T-mobile Curve on AT&T service to get the best of both worlds (GPS puck.) For me, where I live, T-mobile doesn't have great service. I dropped my Sidekick and put my g/fs kick on standby for that reason.

I would test out and ask others with T-mobile service how the service is, not just outside, but indoors where it's going to matter.

The plans are great and UMA is awesome. Customer service is usually on point as there are very consistent.

I don't mind paying extra for excellent coverage and, 3g and the best new devices with AT&T. To each their own and I would say make you own decision.
    05-07-08 11:03 PM
    Keep in mind that the latest J.D. Power evaluations rate Verizon and T-Mobile at the top of the list in the Western Region. at&t/666 was rated as the worst in both call connectivity and customer care.

Consumer Reports just also released their latest evaluations. They rated Verizon and T-Mobile as the best in the country. Again, very consistent with the J.D. Power findings, they rated at&t/666 as basically a substandard carrier with generally poor ratings for call connectivity and customer care.

T-Mobile actually reports their coverage performance and you can check these findings for Seattle here ---> Unsupported Browser

Keep in mind that no other carriers open themselves up this way and show you up front where they are strong and weak in terms of coverage.

Verizon doesn't do this to my knowledge and certainly at&t/666 doesn't either.

I've had both Verizon and at&t/666 in the past. Verizon was a strong carrier. I didn't like the way they locked their phones and I didn't care for their limited CDMA technology which doesn't work in most parts of the rest of the world. I also found that they have a LOT of billing problems. Still their coverage is generally very solid.

As for at&t/666, let me tell you the positives I found using them .....

.... mmmm ...
    .... ahhhh ...
    .... errrrrr ....

Actually, let me get back to you about at&t/666.

Seriously, TMo has been stellar since I switched to them. They truly give you more for less and I don't think any other carrier can match that claim.
    05-10-08 07:38 PM
    im thinking of switching too, my ATT bill is just ridiculous!!
    i was checking some of the rates with TMO....can i just cancel my contract with ATT and use the same phone to use for TMO?
    You are not alone with the shocking poor service from at&t/666. Many of us have suffered with the same things you are going through.

You should be able to switch to T-Mobile without any significant issues. Both carriers use GSM networks. You may have to do some programming in your at&t/666 phone to get the data to work properly. One of the things you'll find pleasantly refreshing is dealing with TMo's support staff who are leagues ahead of the group you are with today.
    05-10-08 07:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD