^^^ I admit, i use 500-600 mb on a slow month, and around 1 to 1.5 gig on a busy month.

The best usage for me with unlimited data: At the bar with friends/co workers... in the "I'll GOOGLE IT RIGHT NOW AND SHOW YOU" situations. : )

I agree the switch makes a lot of sense if you're saving. . . but just to 'experience' the new network (IMO) isn't enough.

Like i said, Telus HAD to upgrade their service to keep up with the times...and they're penalizing and charging their 'bread and butter' clients for said mandatory upgrade. It's extortion if you ask me. . .
    12-01-09 09:39 PM
    I don't know why but sum users in the Telus carrier section sound like they work for Telus, there is nothing wrong with CDMA and yes it pointless to have unlimited data however there is a reason why Telus won't offer this on their "new network" and nothing eases the mind knowning that you don't have to worry about going over your data usage if you ever do, becasue its UNLIMITED

And I have to agree with Phatric its down right extortion! I have been with Telus for over 7 years and my contract has expired and Telus is telling me pretty much we will "let" you keep your old plan onto the new network however u can't keep unlimited data we will give you 500MB AND charge $10 more for it WTF???

Forgive me if i'm wrong but I thought if you are loyal to a company, pay your bills on time, (I paid $200 2 months ago, $120 last month) with no compliants.
    I thought they are supposed to show you that if you are a valued customer, it would go more something like this "Here is something better we will offer you since we value your business..."
    Last edited by shuteyes; 12-03-09 at 01:56 PM.
    12-03-09 09:47 AM
    I don't know why but sum users in the Telus carrier section sound like they work for Telus, there is nothing wrong with CDMA and yes it pointless to have unlimited data however there is a reason why Telus won't offer this on their "new network" and nothing eases the mind knowning that you don't have to worry about going over your data usage if you ever do, becasue its UNLIMITED

And I have to agree with Phatric its down right extortion! I have been with Telus for over 7 years and my contract has expired and Telus is telling me pretty much we will "let" you keep your old plan onto the new network however u can't keep unlimited data we will give you 500MB AND charge $10 more for it WTF???

Forgive me if i'm wrong but I thought if you are loyal to a company, pay your bills on time, (I paid $200 2 months ago, $120 last month) with no compliants.
    I thought they are supposed to show you that if you are a valued customer, it would go more something like this "Here is something better we will offer you since we value your business..."
    NEW CB BFF!!!

That's pretty lamo that they won't even give you their top end data-plan for the same price.

...especially considering Telcom pricing is 100% arbitrary. It should be competitive, look at East Europe as a great example. Instead the three giants agree on cooking the books and all charge similar pricing. Ever noticed when plans shift around in one company, the other two shift accordingly? . . .and strangely it's never for the better. (ex: when nights and weekends went from 6pm to 9pm.)

(If they're planning this together, it's 100% illegal...even if they give each other a 'heads up' to get in line).
    12-03-09 10:46 PM
    phatric, also i am hearing that the new network does not play flycast streams, check discussion board and even if they did its just 500 mb on the newer network
    12-05-09 11:39 AM
    phatric, also i am hearing that the new network does not play flycast streams, check discussion board and even if they did its just 500 mb on the newer network
    I'm never-ever changing.

....I just put OS 5.0 on my Storm.... it's like a new phone! So I'm good for another year. I can't wait until Robbers secures a new "fancy pants phone" exclusive contract... Telus will drop their pants then... That might be our "in".
    12-06-09 11:14 AM
    I'm never-ever changing.

....I just put OS 5.0 on my Storm.... it's like a new phone! So I'm good for another year. I can't wait until Robbers secures a new "fancy pants phone" exclusive contract... Telus will drop their pants then... That might be our "in".
    is there 5.0 for curve?
    12-06-09 12:53 PM
    ^^^I don't think any carrier has released it. I believe a 5.0 for Curve has bee leaked however. Check out you OS discussion in the Curve forum.

I picked my 5.0 OS from the Verizon site and installed it. It's great.
    12-06-09 03:47 PM
    I'm not sure how google searches can add up to one and a half gigs a month in data, but definitely using things such as Telus Navigator / Google Maps or GPS can ring the total up.

I'm not sure I've ever used more than maybe 50mb but, I'd still like the peace of mind. Mind you, I wouldn't want to pay the prices Telus charges for larger data plans for that peace of mind.
    12-13-09 03:27 PM
    Theres a way to bring your unlimited data over to the new network with the 9700, i called telus and they said if i get the 9700 NOT from telus and get a telus sim card my plan stays the same because i didnt buy the 9700 from telus so they cant do anything.
    12-14-09 01:31 PM
    Theres a way to bring your unlimited data over to the new network with the 9700, i called telus and they said if i get the 9700 NOT from telus and get a telus sim card my plan stays the same because i didnt buy the 9700 from telus so they cant do anything.
    That makes less than no sense, it's not based on the device but rather the actual network.
    12-14-09 04:20 PM
    That makes less than no sense, it's not based on the device but rather the actual network.
    but i called telus.... and went in store to talk with manager
    12-15-09 02:16 AM
    Trust me - I have been a TELUS customer since early 2000 and had an unlimited package from 2005-last month, and after spending over 4 and a half hours solid on the phone with what had to be over 10 reps, the end result is that there is no possible way to get unlimited data on the new network. There is just no option for it, and it's not like your old account is just moved over to the new network, there is an entirely different provisioning system in place.

If you were on the CDMA network and moved to HSDPA, any unlimited data package is automatically removed as their is no HSDPA equivalent. Even if you have a HSDPA data package, there is a hard cap of 10GB - this is for both 3G+ sticks and 3G+ PDA's / BB's.

Even if you go from an unlimited package on CDMA, to HSDPA, and then go back to CDMA, you will loose your unlimited data. The only way you can currently have unlimited data, is if you are on CDMA and have the package on your account, if you leave it for any reason - you cannot get it back, 'nor can you move it to the new network.
    12-15-09 02:29 AM
    Trust me - I have been a TELUS customer since early 2000 and had an unlimited package from 2005-last month, and after spending over 4 and a half hours solid on the phone with what had to be over 10 reps, the end result is that there is no possible way to get unlimited data on the new network. There is just no option for it, and it's not like your old account is just moved over to the new network, there is an entirely different provisioning system in place.

If you were on the CDMA network and moved to HSDPA, any unlimited data package is automatically removed as their is no HSDPA equivalent. Even if you have a HSDPA data package, there is a hard cap of 10GB - this is for both 3G+ sticks and 3G+ PDA's / BB's.

Even if you go from an unlimited package on CDMA, to HSDPA, and then go back to CDMA, you will loose your unlimited data. The only way you can currently have unlimited data, is if you are on CDMA and have the package on your account, if you leave it for any reason - you cannot get it back, 'nor can you move it to the new network.
    so what happen...did you have to change your data plan to a lower one and pay more?
    12-15-09 02:21 PM
    Yep - they made me go to a new 'Choice Plan' or whatever, it's still less then I was paying at Rogers. They made it up to me today though - When I bought the phone, I got it for $250, today I went in to get it swapped, the price had dropped to $200, so they gave me the $50 back too!
    12-15-09 07:13 PM
    What I like about the new network is the speed. I like the fact that they have better phones. Also using it out of the country is now possible, however they may ask for a deposite...

A comment on the data...no there is no more unlimited Data...I just gave up a granfathered plan because I couldnt keep it on the new network BUUT since I have the Bold 9700 and it has Wifi capabilities my browsing and emails are covered when I'm connected bonus.
    12-15-09 11:34 PM
    Yep - they made me go to a new 'Choice Plan' or whatever, it's still less then I was paying at Rogers. They made it up to me today though - When I bought the phone, I got it for $250, today I went in to get it swapped, the price had dropped to $200, so they gave me the $50 back too!

so how much are you paying for data?

i think i just might stick with my tour for as long as i can than...cause i only pay 40 a month
    12-16-09 03:19 PM
    ^BEST thing to do
    I currently have the World Edition and I'm going to keep my old plan which has $15 unlimited data, hopefully they'll get better phones for CDMA but knowing this "crook" company they probably won't make anymore phones for CDMA as they will try to get ppl to switch over to the "clear choice plans"
    12-16-09 04:57 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD