I'm one of those idiots who bought the Curve via Verizon, thinking it had GPS, only to learn it was disabled after the fact. I'm a bit pissed, because the reason I justified the expense of the new phone and data plan was because I previously was spending the extra $25/month between GetItNow and Navigator services.

Alas, I may return my Blackberry Curve.

However, before I do so wanted to see if anyone had luck "unlocking" the GPS.

Thoughts?
    05-30-08 05:37 PM
    You could purchase a BT GPS receiver such as the freedom 2000 keychain found in the CB store.
    05-30-08 05:41 PM
    There is no way to use the internal GPS in a Verizon phone without subscribing to their VZNav service. And then you can only use the internal GPS with VZNav, not any 3rd party apps. People who use VZNav say it works very well. Many of us use external GPS's. I have the Freedom Keychain 2000 that sunkast recommended. It too works very well. But you have to provide software. It is only the GPS.
    05-30-08 05:55 PM
    I put Google maps on my curve. It is free, works good and does okay locating me.
    05-30-08 07:05 PM
    Return it and when you do make sure you point out that GPS lockdown is specifically why you're returning it. Also, file a complaint with their corporate offices about the matter. I think it's time everyone was heard. Why should we as consumers have to be subjected to this sort of stuff?
    05-30-08 07:52 PM
    Thanks, guys.

The Freedom Keychain 2000, and the reality is, I'd be willing to have paid an extra $90 for the Blackberry now knowing the difference.

Alas, I'm giving it a few days to see if I really need it, or should hold out for an Android phone later this year. In that case, you bet I'll let Verizon know why!
    05-31-08 02:56 AM
    Thanks, guys.

The Freedom Keychain 2000, and the reality is, I'd be willing to have paid an extra $90 for the Blackberry now knowing the difference.

Alas, I'm giving it a few days to see if I really need it, or should hold out for an Android phone later this year. In that case, you bet I'll let Verizon know why!
    I, too, think it might have been worth a bit more not to have to worry about charging two separate devices but I don't think Verizon should be getting $10.00/month for activating a gps that already exists in the phone. The Freedom is a nice, small and quite fast gps unit, though.
    05-31-08 09:46 AM
    I downloaded google maps and its not very acurate at all. The gps locater will show you being in the right city but thats about as close as it gets. I might have to step up and pay for verizon navagator which just kills me.
    06-01-08 12:26 PM
    I downloaded google maps and its not very acurate at all. The gps locater will show you being in the right city but thats about as close as it gets.
    That's because it's not GPS.
    06-01-08 12:32 PM
    Sure!
    Purchase a 100 dollar developers license from RIM. Then learn JAVA and the api binds within the blackberry OS. Then hack change and develop to your hearts content.

(I tried this path but I hate programming with a passion.)

Dm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-08 08:47 PM
    I downloaded google maps and its not very acurate at all. The gps locater will show you being in the right city but thats about as close as it gets. I might have to step up and pay for verizon navagator which just kills me.
    it gets you close.... say like within 2 miles, lol
    06-01-08 11:13 PM
    I also used google maps...I didn't have any luck with it!

06-01-08 11:18 PM
    Return it and when you do make sure you point out that GPS lockdown is specifically why you're returning it. Also, file a complaint with their corporate offices about the matter. I think it's time everyone was heard. Why should we as consumers have to be subjected to this sort of stuff?
    I completely agree it's BS!!! They should let the consumer have a choice to pay for VZnavigator or use other 3rd party nav software if we so choose....don't get me started!
    06-02-08 12:10 AM
    Did you end up returning your 8330? I amin the same boat and have until August 16th to make up my mind. I really wanted Google Maps to work properly with the internal GPS.

Someone on this page said that Verizon told them that near the end of 2008 they might unlock the GPS (Verizon Finally Releases 8330 Curve… A Year Too Late | BerryReview.com �)

"Verizon Wireless has no intention of modifying it’s policy regarding the blocking of 3rd party application access to any Blackberry device internal GPS location until such time as ‘Open Access’ becomes available late 2008″

Not sure what Open Access means. I'm guessing that, for a fee, developers could get their apps "approved" to access the internal GPS. Sort of like paying the mob to let leave you alone.
    07-23-08 04:36 PM
    Good luck getting Verizon to unlock this feature...

Google Maps uses cell tower triangulations, and therefore is not the most accurate as far as location goes. It is the best alternative to paying $10/month for VZNav at the moment.
    07-23-08 04:38 PM
    This is definitely one of Verizon's big downfalls... They lock a feature that RIM put on our devices. That's part of the reason I'm sure that it takes Verizon so long to come out with updated OSes

07-23-08 06:53 PM
    You can also purchase a separate bluetooth gps puck which will work for a number of 3rd party applications including with some assistance, Google maps (you have to run BB Maps for google maps to find a bluetooth gps)
    07-23-08 07:05 PM
    Hey all I am new. This is my first post.

I am no legal expert but dosn't this seem like it is illegal. They don't own the GPS hardware. I would imagine that this is simlar to the issue with Comcast who just got busted big time for blocking internet access for certain places. Even though some of the content was illegal comcast still wasn't allowed to block it. I could be wrong but I think its just a matter of time before they get caught. maybe we should start a petition and notify the FCC or who ever it is that regulates this stuff.
    07-27-08 03:42 PM
    ^^^Here is a link to one of the petitions out there to unlock the GPS: Verizon Blackberry GPS Petition Petition
    07-27-08 03:54 PM
    I am thinking that the GPS may be unlocked sooner than everyone thinks. With Verizon (Vodafone) getting first exclusivity on the new Touchscreen blackberry, and the fact that they will have to meet a quota of sales on these devices to keep the exclusivity (Doubtful they will be able to do that). I am guessing that if RIM can place a Quota on them, there will probably other stipulations as well, like not locking out the GPS. If they continue this stupid function, its the same as shooting themselves in the foot. I can see them not selling enough Thunders, shy of giving them away dirt cheap, in order to maintain the quota.
    07-27-08 04:14 PM
    Each device from every carrier has its cons.. For example, the lack of mms capabilities on sprint's devices. Its just a personal thing as to what we decide we can and cannot live without. I simply use googlemaps in lieu of vznav on my curve. It works off cell tower triangulations so it isn't the most accurate, but it works for what I need.

07-27-08 04:18 PM
    I am thinking that the GPS may be unlocked sooner than everyone thinks. With Verizon (Vodafone) getting first exclusivity on the new Touchscreen blackberry, and the fact that they will have to meet a quota of sales on these devices to keep the exclusivity (Doubtful they will be able to do that). I am guessing that if RIM can place a Quota on them, there will probably other stipulations as well, like not locking out the GPS. If they continue this stupid function, its the same as shooting themselves in the foot. I can see them not selling enough Thunders, shy of giving them away dirt cheap, in order to maintain the quota.
    I hope that if RIM "forces" them to unlock the GPS on the Thunder, we will see our older devices get unlocked as well. I guess only time will tell.
    07-27-08 06:57 PM
    Can you use other gps applications such as berry locator or roblock if you have subscribed to vz navigator
    07-27-08 07:13 PM
    Can you use other gps applications such as berry locator or roblock if you have subscribed to vz navigator
    No, not normally. Verizon only allows the use of the internal GPS with VZNav, not 3rd party apps, even if you subscribe to VZNav. Here is a long thread on the subject: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/gps...0-update-1279/
    Last edited by JeffH; 07-27-08 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added link to gps verizon 8830 update thread
    07-27-08 07:22 PM
    No, not normally. Verizon only allows the use of the internal GPS with VZNav, not 3rd party apps, even if you subscribe to VZNav. Here is a long thread on the subject: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/gps...0-update-1279/
    Nope. For some reason Verizon wants to keep the GPS all to themselves... even if you pay for VZNavigator

07-27-08 08:12 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD