I really like the form factor of the bold. The old one that is. I was wondering if this were possible. I really don't like the tour all that much. Form factor wise

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 10:31 PM
    Absolutely not. The Bold is a GSM device. VZW is a CDMA carrier. They are
    totally incompatible.
    12-04-09 10:36 PM
    No the Bold is GSM only. Wheres the World Edition Verizon Blackberrys are CDMA with a SIM card slot as well
    12-04-09 10:37 PM
    Why wasn't verizon a little smarter In this aream why are we not GSM ><

12-04-09 10:42 PM
    Why wasn't verizon a little smarter In this aream why are we not GSM ><

With due respect to GSM and its widespread use (and apparent ease of rollout, hence its widespread use), CDMA is a far, far, far superior standard. AT&Ts network capacity problems -- directly related to GSM limitations and its inefficient use of radio spectrum.

GSM uses time and channel segments within a given spread of spectrum. It provides a tangible, quantifiable limit on use.

CDMA uses the entire spectrum, and instead of using time and channel segments, uses code instead. The only real limitation is power.

In any practical application, CDMA has between 6-8 times the capacity of GSM. From the time that Verizon and Sprint had 1XRTT standardized across the networks, rolling out EVDO/3G was a natural evolution. AT&T had no such luck migrating from TDMA to GSM, and HSPA is not a simple evolution of GPRS (GSM/EDGE).
    12-05-09 01:48 AM
    bold is a GSM device whereas VERIZON uses CDMA technology; GSM nad CDMA don't mix.
    12-05-09 07:31 AM
    CDMA is a far, far, far superior standard
    GSM can be used worldwide (roaming), CDMA not.
    GSM supports simultaneous voice and data, CDMA not.
    GSM can split SMS natively, CDMA again not.
    GSM doesn't suffer from the "near-far" effect, CDMA does.
    GSM is tied to a SIM, CDMA is tied to the device.

I can't see how CDMA is a superior standard to GSM. Both have their limitations, but in my opinion GSM is far better if only for the reason it can be used worldwide. The flexibility of just popping in and out a SIM is great if you change phones often. SMS is quite limited on CDMA too by using different encoding algorithms it doesn't support traditional Unicode. GSM also allows for simultaneous voice and data, which CDMA does not.
    Last edited by shinkodachi; 12-05-09 at 08:43 AM.
    12-05-09 08:36 AM
    Cdma devices are now supposrting simultaneous voice and date due to the Wi-Fi capabilities on the new devices. But regardless it doesn't make any type of sense that every other phone in the verizon market can send a text message 160x7 to fellow verizon users without the splitting of messages, but does not apply to the blackberry for one reason or another. Someone care to explain that please?

12-05-09 09:01 AM
    @Coraya: WiFi is a separate technology anyway and can be present or off no matter which radio technology is used. Therefore it doesn't really make CDMA any better that you can WiFi and call at the same time.
    12-05-09 09:04 AM
    I know. I'm not strictly for cdma or gsm. I would just seriously like blackberry to do the simple thing "dumbphones" can do. Its pretty ridiculous to me.

12-05-09 09:09 AM
    I wish for an universal network with functionality worldwide that wouldn't interfere with current radio frequencies and combined the best of both GSM and CDMA.
    12-05-09 09:12 AM
    When it comes down to it, its not always what the consumer wants. If the profits aren't there, they won't do what we all wish they would. And not only thaat, but converting verizon to gsm would be overly expensive even for such a large company

12-05-09 09:15 AM
    Well, they are "converting" to LTE, aren't they?
    12-05-09 09:20 AM
    LTE? Since when? And what is it?

12-05-09 09:22 AM
    3GPP long term evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Verizon And Lte -- Engadget Mobile

edit: noticed you are on WAP, the Engadget link might not be friendly.
    12-05-09 09:26 AM
    I actually looked it up after I read your last post. That's actually pretty interesting. I read engadget article. But I still don't understand what's the difference other than speed by switching to LTE

12-05-09 09:50 AM
    Me neither... we shall wait and see!
    12-05-09 09:53 AM
    Thanks you for the help

12-05-09 10:04 AM
    That is incorrect. CDMA carriers can roam with each other if the freqs match up. I roamed on au-KDDI's CDMA signal in Japan for a short while. I was also able to manually direct my Storm to SoftBank's GSM. If the phone can register with the network, and the carriers have roaming agreements, there is no inherent advantage other than the number of MSAs that use GSM versus CDMA on a global scale.

This is through the use of HSPDA, and on different frequencies. GSM/EDGE can do no more than CDMA can, which may be texting while on a call - simply a sub-channel on the voice freq. But for voice and data at the same time, without separate voice and data freqs, it's a no-go.

Actually CDMA can and does. For some reason, and I don't know why, CDMA Blackberries do not. I don't think this is a network issue as much as a hardware/software issue with RIM. There are plenty of CDMA phones that can send multi-page SMS (which sorta defeats the whole idea of "Short Msg Svc" but I digress)...

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, back in the day, we referred to it as "shrinkage". This can be ameliorated with power management. It does not however affect overall capacity.

That's not even an argument. It's a standard. Arguably, it is also a vulnerability in GSM.

I can't see how CDMA is a superior standard to GSM. Both have their limitations, but in my opinion GSM is far better if only for the reason it can be used worldwide. The flexibility of just popping in and out a SIM is great if you change phones often. SMS is quite limited on CDMA too by using different encoding algorithms it doesn't support traditional Unicode. GSM also allows for simultaneous voice and data, which CDMA does not.
    And as I said, "with due respect". The issue is that GSM, being a time-divided and frequency-divided standard, is less expensive to roll out, but wastes spectrum. As for simultaneous voice/data, the only reason why "GSM" can support it is if you are in a HSPA service area, operating on a different frequency than the voice channel. In the US, that mean major metro areas only. GSM is notorious for the buzzing interference that GSM Blackberries cause around audio/video equipment. CDMA evolution can support simultaneous voice and data, but the lead carrier in the US, Verizon, is opting to rollout its LTE on the C-Block it just acquired in the FCC auction. At 700MHz, it will have better building penetration. The existing 3G network will continue to provide its more natural coverage in urban and varied terrain environments.

GSM, having more ubiquitous coverage worldwide, makes a standard to contend with. The CDMA carriers in the US all have multi-mode/multi-band phones (dumb and smart alike) to handle that. Ubiquity, does not a superior standard make, however.

We didn't even get to soft-handoffs None-the-less, neither standard is going the way of the Do-do.
    12-05-09 01:53 PM
    CDMA carriers can roam with each other if the freqs match up.
    Come to Finland and we'll see if you can roam

I give up
    12-05-09 04:48 PM
    That is incorrect. CDMA carriers can roam with each other if the freqs match up. I roamed on au-KDDI's CDMA signal in Japan for a short while. I was also able to manually direct my Storm to SoftBank's GSM. If the phone can register with the network, and the carriers have roaming agreements, there is no inherent advantage other than the number of MSAs that use GSM versus CDMA on a global scale.

This is through the use of HSPDA, and on different frequencies. GSM/EDGE can do no more than CDMA can, which may be texting while on a call - simply a sub-channel on the voice freq. But for voice and data at the same time, without separate voice and data freqs, it's a no-go.

Actually CDMA can and does. For some reason, and I don't know why, CDMA Blackberries do not. I don't think this is a network issue as much as a hardware/software issue with RIM. There are plenty of CDMA phones that can send multi-page SMS (which sorta defeats the whole idea of "Short Msg Svc" but I digress)...

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, back in the day, we referred to it as "shrinkage". This can be ameliorated with power management. It does not however affect overall capacity.

That's not even an argument. It's a standard. Arguably, it is also a vulnerability in GSM.

And as I said, "with due respect". The issue is that GSM, being a time-divided and frequency-divided standard, is less expensive to roll out, but wastes spectrum. As for simultaneous voice/data, the only reason why "GSM" can support it is if you are in a HSPA service area, operating on a different frequency than the voice channel. In the US, that mean major metro areas only. GSM is notorious for the buzzing interference that GSM Blackberries cause around audio/video equipment. CDMA evolution can support simultaneous voice and data, but the lead carrier in the US, Verizon, is opting to rollout its LTE on the C-Block it just acquired in the FCC auction. At 700MHz, it will have better building penetration. The existing 3G network will continue to provide its more natural coverage in urban and varied terrain environments.

GSM, having more ubiquitous coverage worldwide, makes a standard to contend with. The CDMA carriers in the US all have multi-mode/multi-band phones (dumb and smart alike) to handle that. Ubiquity, does not a superior standard make, however.

We didn't even get to soft-handoffs None-the-less, neither standard is going the way of the Do-do.
    you really blew me away. You just offered the absolute best answer anyone can ever recieve here on crackberry. the way you answered that was great. you didn't miss anything. great job but i have to say that on Verizon CDMA Blackberrys, SMS is NOT split up. you need an app for that such as "Textender" or "Beyond 160". but one answer im truly trying to get is why can a dumbphone send 7 pages of texts, 160 characters each, to another verizon user as ONE text message, but blackberrys cannot within the Verizon Wireless network. we are limited to 160 characters in and out of our carrier
    12-05-09 05:31 PM
    IMO, it's like the VHS vs. BetaMax deal. Sometimes its not the best technology that wins out.

CDMA doesn't have that annoying static buzz that GSM has when around speakers and such. I also haven't had any "phantom vibrations" since I stopped carrying a GSM device. Personally, I think the two are related...

And its pretty simple to switch devices on the web or with a quick call to CS. At least with VZW.
    12-05-09 06:10 PM
    ...but we all know Betamax was superior :'(
    12-06-09 02:50 AM

+1000000

A Dutch friend in his countrys military told me that CDMA is actually illegal in some European Countries...
    12-06-09 06:47 AM
    +1000000

A Dutch friend in his countrys military told me that CDMA is actually illegal in some European Countries...
    Illegal?? What? That doesn't make sense. Why would it be illegal llol

12-06-09 08:44 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD