I LOVE my curve. Ive went through a pearl and many other smartphones but this is by far the best Ive had. My only complaint with BB is only 160 characters per message.

Can this be changed? I cant seem to find a way.
    01-31-09 05:18 PM
    Nope. SMS messages are capped at 160 characters. It is very annoying though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 05:27 PM
    Gay!

Well thanks for the quick reply man.
    01-31-09 05:28 PM
    MMS does not have the 160 character limit.
    01-31-09 07:07 PM
    You can also send Pin messages if you have unlimited data and are communicating with another BlackBerry user. Pins only work BB-to-BB, but don't count against text message limits.
    01-31-09 07:33 PM
    You can also send Pin messages if you have unlimited data and are communicating with another BlackBerry user. Pins only work BB-to-BB, but don't count against text message limits.
    what's the advantage of using a PIN message rather than texting or using BBM?
    01-31-09 07:35 PM
    Is there any to split SMS messages automaticaly, with an app or otherwise? One of my friends has an LG lotus and SMS messages over 160 characters automaticaly get split between multiple messages.
    01-31-09 07:36 PM
    what's the advantage of using a PIN message rather than texting or using BBM?
    Pin messages can be unlimited length. BBM uses Pin messages as its communication mechanism. Everyone has Pin message capability, whether they have BBM installed or not.
    01-31-09 07:39 PM
    Is there any to split SMS messages automaticaly, with an app or otherwise? One of my friends has an LG lotus and SMS messages over 160 characters automaticaly get split between multiple messages.
    Some (all?) BlackBerry GSM carriers automatically split text messages. I don't think any Black Beryy CDMA carriers do. If I'm wrong someone will correct me.
    Last edited by JeffH; 01-31-09 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added BlackBerry in front of carrier to clarify answer
    01-31-09 07:41 PM
    Some (all?) GSM carriers automatically split text messages. I don't think any CDMA carriers do. If I'm wrong someone will correct me.
    My Razr used to be able to type more than 160 characters.
    01-31-09 08:07 PM
    Also if its a verizon customer you can email and it will show as a text on their end

[email protected] would be the address.

01-31-09 08:10 PM
    My Razr used to be able to type more than 160 characters.
    I should have said "BlackBerry Carriers." I've corrected my post. Thanks.
    01-31-09 08:15 PM
    Also if its a verizon customer you can email and it will show as a text on their end

[email protected] would be the address.

But still limited to 160 characters - if the message is longer than 160 it is truncated before delivery to the phone.

01-31-09 08:36 PM
    It must be a Verizon / BlackBerry thing. On my old Verizon LG 8350, text messages over 160 characters would get split into multiple SMS messages.

01-31-09 08:57 PM
    My previous Verizon phone would not let me type more than 160 chracters. So it's not just a cap put on BlackBerry phones.

02-01-09 01:38 AM
    I use MMS also for lengthy messages. Yeah JeffH had a great idea about pin msg. I use it a lot too and it doesn't have this limitation.
    02-01-09 01:55 AM
    The 160 character limitation is technology-related and applies to all carriers as far as I know. SMS uses a communication space reserved for communicating with the cell towers. Fortunately isn't needed much much for that prupose, so we can use it for SMS. That protocol has a limitation of 160 characters. Some carriers offer "enhanced SMS" where messages longer than that are sent as multiple messages. A Google search reveals tons of hits related to this.

02-01-09 06:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD