While I am aware that texting is a seprate chargable item on Verizon, I was
    led to believe that BlackBerry to BlackBerry messeging using BBM was free given the mandatory Data plan associated with the phone.. I know that texting does not use the data channel.. Am I wrong ?? Should I be charged for this just the same as any other texting ??
    11-24-09 08:53 AM
    No. Its data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 08:55 AM
    You're right. BBM is included in data. You can bbm and have no txt messaging plan, and not incur any extra charges.
    11-24-09 08:55 AM
    BBM does use data, but some on here will swear that all carriers will add the messages to your total text count.

BBM wont work without data (I tried it, just turn your data connection off and see for yourself) so if the carriers do charge for it then something is not right.
    11-24-09 12:15 PM
    Carriers have no way of being able to tell one type of data from another, so they can't charge your BBM messages as texts. All of the data shows up as the same on your bill.
    11-24-09 01:36 PM
    BBM does use data, but some on here will swear that all carriers will add the messages to your total text count.

BBM wont work without data (I tried it, just turn your data connection off and see for yourself) so if the carriers do charge for it then something is not right.
    I think it does add to your total text count because I remember one month it said I had used like 5500 SMS in the first two weeks out of network and I did not.. BBM would make sense. This is unintentional and you don't get charged for it.
    11-24-09 01:47 PM
    All across the net you will find conflicting reports of whether or not IM's are counted as text messages. While they should not be counted as such, I have been told by various Verizon rep's that they do.

While I personally have unlimited messaging, this would become an issue if I added an international data plan and expected BBM (or any other IM client)to be my main method of communicating while traveling internationally.
    11-24-09 02:55 PM
    All across the net you will find conflicting reports of whether or not IM's are counted as text messages. While they should not be counted as such, I have been told by various Verizon rep's that they do.
    Either way you aren't charged for bbm's, and the bbm's do not go against your txting plan.
    11-24-09 02:57 PM
    BBM, no. Some IMs yes, depending on the client/application used.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 04:25 PM
    BBM and IM are completely different in this scenario...

BBM will not appear on your bill, and you will not get charges any extra...
    IM on the other hand, can use your text messaging... AIM, Google Talk...etc... Will use your SMS, and usually there is a disclosure when you download the program...
    11-24-09 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD