Anyone else get this text this morning? What does it mean?? I got it on my 9700 and a friend of mine also on t-mo got it on his pearl.

From 456: "Free T-Mobile Msg: T-Mobile charges for internat?l dialing, including Wi-Fi initiated calls. Please monitor your usage and visit T-Mobile.com for current rates."
    02-12-10 12:51 PM
    I did as well just a few minutes ago. Funny it says "internat?l" I wonder if it's authentic. Could someone have sent this message via SMS masked as 456?
    02-12-10 01:45 PM
    I'd venture it's a fair-warning/CYA message from T-Mobile to anyone who has not added the International Long Distance Blocking option to their line. I didn't get that SMS, probably because I have ILDB on my line.
    02-12-10 01:46 PM
    Just got this too. Tried to call 611 and message said "due to technical difficulties we are unable to process your call, try again later." Maybe they are swamped with WTF calls right now. That is what they had coming from me.
    Rob
    02-12-10 02:03 PM
    i got this message today too with internat spelled wrong. i wonder what its all about
    02-12-10 02:20 PM
    shady.. well i got text from 456 when i did an upgrade for my 9700.
    02-12-10 02:23 PM
    Just talked to T-Mobile tech support and he said it sounded like a spoofed text. He was not aware of them sending anything out though the 456 was their id. It does not refer you to a website that is not Tmobiles. Really weird but he said not to worry about it and thanks for alerting them.
    Rob
    02-12-10 02:28 PM
    that is indeed weird. did they tell you to file a ticket so they can look into it?
    02-12-10 02:33 PM
    I got that text too.
    02-12-10 03:07 PM
    Just talked to T-Mobile tech support and he said it sounded like a spoofed text. He was not aware of them sending anything out though the 456 was their id. It does not refer you to a website that is not Tmobiles. Really weird but he said not to worry about it and thanks for alerting them.
    Rob

He made no mention of filing a ticket but did ask me exactly what the message said. Asked me to read it to him verbatum. I figure at the very least it is notated on my account in case anything fishy happens later from a billing standpoint. It is really weird, my wife has a blackberry through t-mobile and did not get the message nor did my daughter on her my touch.
    Rob
    02-12-10 03:20 PM
    I got the text today too on my 9700. I happened to be going to the TMO store anyway, so I asked the guy there about it. He said it was just a general notice because there are a lot of wi-fi services out there, like Skype, which allow free wi-fi to wi-fi calling, even internationally. It was supposed to make clear that even using uma unlimited, international calls will cost.
    02-12-10 03:41 PM
    I just got this text again - the second time today. This time "international" was spelled out correctly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-10 07:09 PM
    I just received another one. Annoying.
    02-12-10 07:41 PM
    does this mean no more free uma calling from abroad back to usa using tmobile uma?
    02-12-10 08:31 PM
    Yeah, that is my question too renn. Why would they charge for this if it's not even on their network? Can't get anyone from Tmo customer support to answer this question.
    02-12-10 09:15 PM
    I just called 611 and she said it's just for calls made to numbers outside of US. However, someone else on the other thread said that he called 611 and was told that no more free uma calling from abroad back to US. Conflicting comments. Maybe someone else can confirm?

02-12-10 09:33 PM
    does this mean no more free uma calling from abroad back to usa using tmobile uma?
    I just talked to two different TMO reps over the phone and that is correct. TMO now has just dropped free UMA calling from overseas back to US number evern from TMO to TMO number...so sad.

This sucks as I have a lot of international traveling so do a few people in my team. I have just sent a message to the team to use Skype or try to using WiFi only with complete shut off of the usual radio network.

This free UMA international calling will take effect by 2.14.2010 according to the reps I talked to.
    02-12-10 09:38 PM
    I just called 611 and she said it's just for calls made to numbers outside of US. However, someone else on the other thread said that he called 611 and was told that no more free uma calling from abroad back to US. Conflicting comments. Maybe someone else can confirm?

I hope that your are right. But I called TMO twice tonight and both told me the same thing. I hope that I am wrong... or reps gave me wrong information.
    02-12-10 09:39 PM
    Bs, when u connect to uma, t-mo can't detect if u oversea or not. U using wifi and not their network. So keep on using it, they won't be able to tell.

02-12-10 09:41 PM
    Bs, when u connect to uma, t-mo can't detect if u oversea or not. U using wifi and not their network. So keep on using it, they won't be able to tell.

I often use that access point handover and I can just leave home onto the road switching from at home overseas WiFi to local network. I am sure that they surely can detect that. No...
    02-12-10 09:43 PM
    I often use that access point handover and I can just leave home onto the road switching from at home overseas WiFi to local network. I am sure that they surely can detect that. No...
    I don't even know wtf u talking about from ur double negative sentence. Please write clearly.

02-12-10 09:46 PM
    I don't even know wtf u talking about from ur double negative sentence. Please write clearly.

First of all, please be nice and be respectful to others.

I have been using this UMA with TMO since they first started and hope for what you are saying is true. I talked to two different TMO reps and what I posted above was what I was told.

If you don't know what access point handover feature of your UMA calling capable phone and start yelling at me. Please think again!!!

This feature is not set to run by default from your UMA calling capable phone. For example, on BB, if you go to Manage Connections/WiFi Options and go to Edit option, you will see three boxes "Automatically obtain IP..." "Allow inter-access point handover" and "SSID Broadcast". Normally, only the first option "Automatically obtain..." is activated.

If you activate "Allow inter-access point handover" your UMA call transition to regular network will be smooth. Or in a simple word, almost 100% of the time, your call will not get dropped. So my point is that yes TMO can't detect where you are (may be they can) when you start your call via WiFi even when you are overseas. However, I often start my call from the hotel WiFi and then have to go to a meeting downtown while still on the phone. My call will get switch over from WiFi to local phone network. Once I am now on network (still keep calling when I start via UMA), I tend to think that someone now can figure out that I am overseas.

I hope that this is easy enough for you to understand
    Last edited by doxa sub750T; 02-12-10 at 10:16 PM.
    02-12-10 10:02 PM
    First of all, please be nice and be respectful to others.

I have been using this UMA with TMO since they first started and hope for what you are saying is true. I talked to two different TMO reps and what I posted above was what I was told.

If you don't know what access point handover feature of your UMA calling capable phone and start yelling at me. Please think again!!!

This feature is not set to run by default from your UMA calling capable phone. For example, on BB, if you go to Manage Connections/WiFi Options and go to Edit option, you will see three boxes "Automatically obtain IP..." "Allow inter-access point handover" and "SSID Broadcast". Normally, only the first option "Automatically obtain..." is activated.

If you activate "Allow inter-access point handover" your UMA call transition to regular network will be smooth. Or in a simple word, almost 100% of the time, your call will not get dropped. So my point is that yes TMO can't detect where you are (may be they can) when you start your call via WiFi even when you are overseas. However, I often start my call from the hotel WiFi and then have to go to a meeting downtown while still on the phone. My call will get switch over from WiFi to local phone network. Once I am now on network (still keep calling when I start via UMA), I tend to think that someone now can figure out that I am overseas.

I hope that this is easy enough for you to understand
    first thing first, i dont see "edit" option when i go into my wifi option. and i dont see anywhere to select "Automatically obtain IP..." "Allow inter-access point handover" and "SSID Broadcast"...btw i'm using 9700 on t-mo usa with os 5.0.0.330.

but if that is the case for u and if u dont want t-mo to charge u for uma call when u oversea...i suggest u stick with "automatically obtain ip..."
    Last edited by vincentnyc; 02-12-10 at 10:30 PM.
    02-12-10 10:18 PM
    no i dont see "edit" optionwhen i go into wifi option. and i dont see anywhere to select "Automatically obtain IP..." "Allow inter-access point handover" and "SSID Broadcast"...btw i'm using 9700 on t-mo usa with os 330.

but if that is the case and if u dont want t-mo to charge u for uma call when u oversea...stick with "automatically obtain ip..." then.
    Gr8t advice! I still am trying to believe that TMO will not be able to find out where you are calling from as long as you stay with UMA within WiFi zone.

However, I have taught to believe that nothing is impossible. I am having my college in India testing this saga. So she is going to try to call me in different manners. It usually takes a few days or may be a week if I will get charges for international roaming. Then I hope to be able to give you guys a real life update.

Keep in mind that according to the two reps I talked to, they told me that this new deal (I also hope so that it is BS) will take effect on 2.14.10.

I have never posted this many within one single thread, but this greatly affects how I do my international business. So, I am sorry if I might seem to be somewhat over-reacting to the issue
    02-12-10 10:29 PM
    first thing first, i dont see "edit" option when i go into my wifi option. and i dont see anywhere to select "Automatically obtain IP..." "Allow inter-access point handover" and "SSID Broadcast"...btw i'm using 9700 on t-mo usa with os 5.0.0.330.

but if that is the case for u and if u dont want t-mo to charge u for uma call when u oversea...i suggest u stick with "automatically obtain ip..."
    Sorry, I have given you an uncomplete step. When you highlight WiFi Options, enter then you should see your multiple SSIDs. Choose one of them and enter with your trackpad, there you will see edit option.
    02-12-10 10:33 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD