Cool. Thanks for the info.
    Mind you that's straight web browsing. No downloading/torrents, very little YouTube, but if the traffic can't be differentiated between desktop and handheld traffic then there's no reason to worry.

People debate whether USCC can tell the difference between the two, and even if they can, the greater question is 'do they'. No one will say for sure but I sincerely doubt it.

Regardless, if you use it intelligently you should have no problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 04:06 PM
    The only reason I would use it would be if I HAD to. Like if I go over to my buddys house that has no internet and they would like to check their email or something. It would take like a week to dl and torrent. Why would anyone even think about doing that, lol.
    09-12-09 10:21 PM
    Yeah, this will be a nice feature when I am in the sticks, with cell service and the laptop, but no wifi Trust me, it happens....
    09-12-09 10:37 PM
    So if I follow the directions posted on the link provided earlier in the thread, what do I use for "8. Enter the Username and Password provided by your wireless carrier" ??

Thanks!
    Username is your cell phone number with area code, no spaces or hyphens, etc., followed by "@uscc.net". Leave password blank. I am tethering right now, using bluetooth. Works great.
    09-12-09 11:02 PM
    Thanks so much for the information! I really only need to tether when there is no other connection so I should be good. I just can't see paying a tether fee or for Tetherberry (which I tried and wasn't very happy with) when I would use it so little.

Thanks again!
    09-12-09 11:29 PM
    Ok - you guys are awesome! I am tethered and posting right now thanks to you all! Works great and I'm so pleased!

Thank you!!
    09-13-09 05:50 AM
    woot woot for tethering!!!
    09-13-09 03:14 PM
    Yeah, this will be a nice feature when I am in the sticks, with cell service and the laptop, but no wifi Trust me, it happens....
    I hear you on that..I have some relatives in an area with very sketchy cell coverage. (had to go outside and find an area just for a single bar of service)
    09-18-09 07:34 PM
    Just an update on tethering. I've been connected and playing around on Facebook and all sorts of other stuff for about 2.5 hours and I'm only a little over 100mb. That's a long ways off from 5gb.

Later,
    Jamey
    09-22-09 11:54 PM
    Since the number it is calling is #777, I would guess this works while in USCC's coverage area. What about roaming?
    09-23-09 09:53 AM
    Since the number it is calling is #777, I would guess this works while in USCC's coverage area. What about roaming?
    It's using a data connection...so there's no reason why it wouldn't work while roaming and wouldn't cost you extra since there's no charge for data while roaming.
    09-23-09 04:01 PM
    Do I understand this correctly....you can tether and not have to use tetherberry?? If so HOW?
    10-03-09 08:43 AM
    Do I understand this correctly....you can tether and not have to use tetherberry?? If so HOW?
    U.S. Cellular
    10-03-09 07:09 PM
    You beat me to it BigE.
    10-03-09 07:10 PM
    The company prefers you to purchase the tethered package but unless you utilized alot of memory chanceas are they won't know but there's really no way to know until you get the bill or they disconnect your service so its kinda try at your own risk sort of thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by tigerlily1027; 10-04-09 at 01:31 AM.
    10-04-09 01:28 AM
    So if you can use your phone as a modem without using Tetherberry, is there any advantage to using Tetherberry?
    10-04-09 10:58 AM
    I don't see an advantage to using a program you need to pay for when you can do it with existing software (included with Windows operating systems).
    I just installed Windows 7 Pro on my laptop, didn't need to install BB Desktop Manager, set up the network connection and it's good to go!
    10-21-09 10:02 AM
    So I did this and btw I just got a crackberry but I put my number in the user name and password and it's working fine.

Should I change that? Also I don't need to have the desktop manager running either?

Thanks
    12-02-09 10:36 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD