Or if you want a roundabout solution you can read into converting ota installs to .alx/.cod.

Also .jar files can generally be installed locally just by using Media>Menu>Explore
    10-01-09 05:30 PM
    Where do you go to get tetherberry for the discounted price of $25 dollars. When you go to purchase on their site its still listing at $49.95

Is there a special link to go to?
    When you click on the "buy" button it shows the price and also a entry for the coupon code. Enter the tberry50 coupon code then update. The discounted price then is calculated.
    Last edited by skd1970; 10-01-09 at 07:33 PM.
    10-01-09 07:21 PM
    Where do you go to get tetherberry for the discounted price of $25 dollars. When you go to purchase on their site its still listing at $49.95

Is there a special link to go to?
    When you go to checkout and see the price on the top left of screen, you will see "promo code" on the top right - that's where you enter tberry50. Click "update" and new price will appear. I just bought it due to the same Sprint issue complained of here and received the 50% discounted price.
    10-01-09 11:39 PM
    I have only been with sprint for a few months and was told that this was a great "perk" of having everything data and a blackberry. I used it for about 2 months and then nothing. Just get that 678 error code. I have been on the phone with sprint and no results. They said that the simply everything data plan does not support PAM. What a load of crap. I have not tried any other method of connecting but I did tell them that it could be done without their permission so they should just let us do it. What a bunch of idiots over there at sprint customer service. I will not renew my contract and may even buyout early just because of bad business practices that they use. If anyone knows of a good tutorial or step by step that tells us how do connect another way please post link so we can do this.

10-02-09 01:14 AM
    for $50 its pricey for sure... but for the half price of $25.. it was right up my alley and i jumped on it as well..

back in the tether saddle again

cheers
    10-02-09 02:27 AM
    Both DUN and Smartview work for me with my 8830. I don't know why anyone would pay for Tetherberry or similar programs when you can do it yourself in about 2 minutes for setup or use Smartview. I have Any Mobile Unlimited data with 1500 mins. No issues.
    10-02-09 11:17 AM
    Both DUN and Smartview work for me with my 8830. I don't know why anyone would pay for Tetherberry or similar programs when you can do it yourself in about 2 minutes for setup or use Smartview. I have Any Mobile Unlimited data with 1500 mins. No issues.
    Yea i'm sure nobody in this thread has thought of this.

Or did you not read the whole thread?
    10-02-09 11:52 AM
    No I didn't read all 11 pages. I read the first couple and skipped to the end where people were still talking about the exact same thing and also buying tetherberry. This happens on internet forums all the time. If someone repeats something, ignore it. People don't need to go around being a sarcastic.

Yea i'm sure nobody in this thread has thought of this.

Or did you not read the whole thread?
    10-02-09 12:58 PM
    No I didn't read all 11 pages. I read the first couple and skipped to the end where people were still talking about the exact same thing and also buying tetherberry. This happens on internet forums all the time. If someone repeats something, ignore it. People don't need to go around being a sarcastic.
    And my reply happens all the time on forums too.

Read thread and then reply. Especially if you are going to say something like "I don't know why anyone would pay for Tetherberry or similar programs when you can do it yourself in about 2 minutes for setup".
    10-02-09 01:08 PM
    Who made you the forum God ****? You may have time to read through page and page of every thread, but for pricisely this BS that you're posting that most threads are full of, I don't read everything and scan. Take a hike troll.

And my reply happens all the time on forums too.

Read thread and then reply. Especially if you are going to say something like "I don't know why anyone would pay for Tetherberry or similar programs when you can do it yourself in about 2 minutes for setup".
    10-02-09 01:12 PM
    Who made you the forum God ****? You may have time to read through page and page of every thread, but for pricisely this BS that you're posting that most threads are full of, I don't read everything and scan. Take a hike troll.

FYI: precisely
    10-02-09 01:27 PM
    A lot of us were using Smartview and DUN, we all have unlimited data plans. Sprint is systematically cutting off the PAM (Phone as Modem) ability unless you purchase their PAM plan for an extra $15 a month. If you still have PAM without paying for it, good for you....you won't have it much longer.

The Tetherberry app, which is on sale for less than $25 through today, allows those of us who were cut off to continue to tether.

If we could continue to use Smartview and DUN, we certainly would. At this point we have weighed our options and determined that a one-time fee is much more cost-effective than a monthly fee. Especially since we already pay for "unlimited data".
    10-02-09 01:28 PM
    Oh you're one of those types as well who gets off on pointing out peoples grammar mistakes. I'll be sure to PM you everything before I post it so you can proof read. I've been looking for an editor. Thanks for volunteering.

FYI: precisely
    10-02-09 01:31 PM
    Oh you're one of those types as well who gets off on pointing out peoples grammar mistakes. I'll be sure to PM you everything before I post it so you can proof read. I've been looking for an editor. Thanks for volunteering.
    No problem. I'm glad I can help out!!!!
    10-02-09 01:42 PM
    I was cut off for awhile as well, but after an OS update and deleting and resetting up the connections, things started working again. I know the first assumption is to blame Sprint. But has anyone actually confirmed from a Sprint rep (on or off the record) that this is what's happening. Don't quote me on this (as I couldn't find a definite answer on their website), but I'm pretty sure all Tetherberry is doing, is setting up a DUN connection for you, and connecting you to the internet, in a simple and straight forward manner. Just making something simple for those that may be intimidated by doing the setup themselves, etc (ex. Do I use an accountant or do my taxes myself). If Tetherberry, is just setting up DUN connection, then it would seem that you should still be able to do it yourself. What makes me think it's just setting up a DUN is this statement from their website: "Will I be charged additional fees or tethering fees from using TetherBerry? This is really hard for us to answer. Each carrier has unique contracts with each individual. Our phone uses your normal Blackberry data plan. Although most carriers say they are offering you a unlimited plan there are usually 5 GB caps. Please review your carrier's contract and review our Terms of Service." This is the same risk you have when setting up a DUN yourself.

A lot of us were using Smartview and DUN, we all have unlimited data plans. Sprint is systematically cutting off the PAM (Phone as Modem) ability unless you purchase their PAM plan for an extra $15 a month. If you still have PAM without paying for it, good for you....you won't have it much longer.

The Tetherberry app, which is on sale for less than $25 through today, allows those of us who were cut off to continue to tether.

If we could continue to use Smartview and DUN, we certainly would. At this point we have weighed our options and determined that a one-time fee is much more cost-effective than a monthly fee. Especially since we already pay for "unlimited data".
    10-02-09 01:45 PM
    Enjoy it while you can because sprint will eventually catch up to you as well. You will know for sure when you recieve this message from Blackberry: "Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network."
    10-02-09 01:54 PM
    Uh everyone gets those messages. Usually after service books have been sent, updated the OS, or you've set up/reconnected an email account (can't remember which of those is when you get that message but it's at least one of those). I don't think this is telling you anything. Unless you're telling me that yes this message comes at other times, but when you got cut off this is what came up on your phone, and then right after you didn't have access anymore.

Enjoy it while you can because sprint will eventually catch up to you as well. You will know for sure when you recieve this message from Blackberry: "Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network."
    10-02-09 01:59 PM
    I think it's funny how many people are talking in absolutes and telling me my "free PAM will soon be coming to an end," when in reality none of us really know what's going on. All we can all do is offer suggestions. I will be sure to post back here if/when I get kicked off though so we can discuss.
    10-02-09 02:03 PM
    Can any Sprint rep people out there answer this....

I have SEP and the BES data add on, I was told by my sales rep that while SEP didn't include phone as a modem, the addtional BES did when combined with SEP. Is this true or not?

Of course my tethering no longer works, I only use once in blue moon but not having it isn't cool and I'm sure not going to pay another charge to get it back.
    10-02-09 02:16 PM
    Can i just go on record as saying this SUCKS! I was able to hook up via usb and Smartview on Monday and now nothing yesterday or today. I am not a happy camper.
    10-02-09 02:24 PM
    Can any Sprint rep people out there answer this....

I have SEP and the BES data add on, I was told by my sales rep that while SEP didn't include phone as a modem, the addtional BES did when combined with SEP. Is this true or not?

Of course my tethering no longer works, I only use once in blue moon but not having it isn't cool and I'm sure not going to pay another charge to get it back.
    Aren't you technically paying for an additional data plan then anyways?

I would think the BES data plan would allow PAM addon since it's not a bundled plan, but I don't really see why the actual BES plan would include PAM in the cost...
    10-02-09 02:33 PM
    Can i just go on record as saying this SUCKS! I was able to hook up via usb and Smartview on Monday and now nothing yesterday or today. I am not a happy camper.
    Have you downloaded the update and checked the settings? I had to set the mobile to autoconnect after the update to SmartView before it would connect. Just rand a couple speed tests. About 1.2 MB download and .14 MB download.
    10-02-09 02:48 PM
    Have you downloaded the update and checked the settings? I had to set the mobile to autoconnect after the update to SmartView before it would connect. Just rand a couple speed tests. About 1.2 MB download and .14 MB download.
    I downloaded the update for smartview yesterday, when my Tour connects it shows that I am connected to smartview and there is a ribbon message that says connected Phone as Modem/Broadband that scrolls at the top of the smartview box, but when click on the box to connect it gives me that error message. I have tried to set to autoconnect and give me the same thing. I looks like everything is going ok then I get the error message. Thanks
    10-02-09 03:03 PM
    Yes.. YES!! Sprint feeds on the angry tears on the disconnected tether ability.

~Nom Nom Nom Nom~
    10-02-09 03:21 PM
    Yes.. YES!! Sprint feeds on the angry tears on the disconnected tether ability.

~Nom Nom Nom Nom~
    LOL! Even though that was messed up to say, it did make my Friday!

On another note: I didnt program Tetherberry but I dont think it is the same thing as setting up a DUN. With the DUN solution, your laptop is telling the phone to dial #777 and transfer the data serially to your PC. Tetherberry seems to tunnel from your PC over to the BB with the applications that run both on the BB and on the PC. You will notice it actually makes what looks like a network adaptor on your PC. By making this tunnel, it can then act like the phone is using the data rather than passing it on to a PC that asked for dial up.

The only direction I can see this going is by somehow getting into the BB like I did with my Instinct and disabling NAI or whatever else Sprint has put in place to disable or recognize PAM.
    10-02-09 04:18 PM
253 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD