Again she told me that the 5gb cap only applies to wireless broadband not data usage on your phone/smartphone. That sounds to me like we should be able to buy tetherberry (when its 50% off again, of course) and not have to worry at all about our data usage.
    Try exceeding 5gb data per month for multiple months...

I doubt she's correct.
    10-12-09 03:47 PM
    I would almost guarantee that she's wrong. But I would be interested to see if any rep at the Sprint store could show me where it says my plan is capped.
    10-12-09 07:43 PM
    Terms & Conditions

Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB.
    You'll notice PAM is in that wording, which basically makes mobile internet fair game...
    10-12-09 07:52 PM
    Terms & Conditions

You'll notice PAM is in that wording, which basically makes mobile internet fair game...
    Their own terms also say "if usage exceeds 5gb/month in total, unless specified otherwise".

From the Everything Data Plan: This plan includes - Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Music Premier, TV Premier, NFL Mobile Live and NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM

Doesn't saying "this plan includes Unlimited data" specify otherwise?
    10-12-09 08:07 PM
    i would say it doesnt. Why? All carriers offer "unlimited data" yet none of them are actually unlimited. Technically you wouldntrack up 5gb purely on the phone, which implies PAM usage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 12:40 AM
    i would say it doesnt. Why? All carriers offer "unlimited data" yet none of them are actually unlimited. Technically you wouldntrack up 5gb purely on the phone, which implies PAM usage.

I guess we'll have to disagree on this one. My thought is that since the plan says that it includes unlimited data and the terms and conditions say that 5gb is the cap, "unless otherwise specified", one could argue that the plan stating that unlimited data is included is a direct contradiction of the terms and conditions.

I'm not a legal expert by any means but I would think that if you wanted to dispute charges for extra data usage, you might have a leg to stand on.
    10-13-09 09:11 AM
    While I agree that what papped said is probably the way it is, I agree with shawn's argument. If it's not unlimited, then they shouldn't advertise as such. I think this is a big part of why people are upset.
    10-13-09 09:30 AM
    I'm nearly certain I recall an email notice or letter from Sprint about a year ago indicating that they would be capping their unlimited plans at 5gigs. And, that this measure should not affect 'private' users. It was more to eliminate the commercial bulk use of the system for which it was not intended. So, I think that they did realize that their system was getting taken advantage of and they used their 'reserved right' to cap it. However, I still think the tether cutoff was under handed based on the expressed usage capabilities of the system.
    10-13-09 10:29 AM
    I downloaded PDAnet and it's giving me about .59 mbs down and .17 up. Not great, but acceptable. My old dial-up modem at home used to connedt at 33K, so this is 17-18 times faster. I'll continue to test it in other locations.
    10-13-09 11:28 AM
    I did not suggest PDAnet because I had never tested it. Thanks.
    10-13-09 11:31 AM
    I guess we'll have to disagree on this one. My thought is that since the plan says that it includes unlimited data and the terms and conditions say that 5gb is the cap, "unless otherwise specified", one could argue that the plan stating that unlimited data is included is a direct contradiction of the terms and conditions.
    It gets even more hazy than that unfortunately. They "reserve" all kinds of rights:

We reserve the right to limit, suspend or constrain any heavy, continuous data usage that adversely impacts our network performance or hinders access to our network.
    I don't know how you can even really dispute that properly... It's incredibly vague and there's no way you can prove it doesn't impact their network..
    10-13-09 06:07 PM
    So, my questions now are:

1) If someone calls Sprint and says I really need PAM, can I add it to my plan, will CSRs be able to help them out?

A Sprint rep that knows how to do their job should definately w/o a doubt be able to assist someone calling in inquiring about PAM.

2) Do the CSRs know the add-on costs and know which plans come with PAM?

Yes they are as follows: NO PLANS ACTUALLY COME WITH PAM
    To have PAM you have to be on a talk only plan and add on the Sprint $30 Pro Pack (data plan) and then the $15 PAM add on feature. That is the ONLY way you can legally add on PAM.

You can not add it to Simply Everything, you can't add it to Everything Data Share Family Plans...you can't add it to Everything Messaging Plans

3) Heck, is it even possible to get PAM anymore through Sprint?

Yes its possible but the only way we reps can add it for you is to knock you down to a basic Talk Plan and build it back up for you w/the required features. So I suggest you really want it badly to do it that way because it's most likely going to come out more expensive for you esp if you need texting etc. You might as well get a data card.

This is an important function for some people. Sprint needs to be able to correctly guide customers that call in asking about PAM. Ignoring PAM will just **** some customers off.
    10-13-09 09:20 PM
    haha yeah, if you ask for it - and are lucky enough to get a rep who still knows what it is! they keep trying to convince me to switch to a se plan for $69....i know i will probably never see tethering again if i do this. i prefer to keep things the way they are, since everything just seems to work perfectly this way. **** starts to **** up once you start making changes!
    It's no secret BB Personal Pack is available for add on on any old plan, any rep who knows their right hand from their left should know this, if not, they should find another job...for real.
    10-13-09 09:47 PM
    im pretty ignorant on the technical side in terms of internet / network service so forgive me if i say something wrong lol:

im still able to tether on my bro's touch pro, i know BB uses a different network or whatever but when it came to dialing #777 , do they not both dial into the same network??
    10-15-09 03:46 PM
    im pretty ignorant on the technical side in terms of internet / network service so forgive me if i say something wrong lol:

im still able to tether on my bro's touch pro, i know BB uses a different network or whatever but when it came to dialing #777 , do they not both dial into the same network??
    They probably just haven't got to your brother's account yet. Some people can still tether, while others cannot.

I can't and it doesn't bother me. It was just icing on the cake, but I wasn't paying for it, so I didn't care too much when it was cut off.
    10-15-09 05:11 PM
    I do not think it is the Everything Data plans being blocked, I am thinking it is the SE plans.

While reading this thread a couple of minutes ago, I decided to see if my SE BB had been blocked..sure enough, it had. (My phone is through my work and it is a SE plan)

I asked the wife to borrow her BB right after that. She is on the Everything Data 450 plan.

Launched SV, hooked her BB up...bingo. I was able to tether again. Same location, same laptop, just different phones about 1 minute apart.
    I don't think that's the issue. I have the simply everything 450 plan and can't tether anymore. Has anyone considered the possibility that they made the change in DM?

10-16-09 11:18 PM
    They probably just haven't got to your brother's account yet. Some people can still tether, while others cannot.

I can't and it doesn't bother me. It was just icing on the cake, but I wasn't paying for it, so I didn't care too much when it was cut off.
    the funny thing is that with Win Mo phones, with internet sharing, there's 2 options, USB and then PAM , with usb, i dont believe it dials out (i could be mistaken) , but with pam, sometimes a pop up would come and say dialing #777 .... i think the right minds can find a solution to the BB that would work like how the usb option on win. mo. phones does..
    10-17-09 02:34 PM
    posting using tetherberry.....using the free trial and so far its doing its job! Will probably purchase if I will be doing some traveling with the laptop but not in a hurry to do so.......

Sure did enjoy spring smartview though
    10-17-09 04:46 PM
    I'll probably get TetherBerry when they run a 50% off special again.
    10-18-09 07:38 AM
    The Curve is Rev 0. It is not Rev A capable.

Just ran a speedtest with Tetherberry on Friday. I got 798 down, 156 up. Not the best, but it's working well enough for me. This was with 2 bars of Sprint's EVDO Rev A data.
    10-19-09 03:08 PM
    Has anyone thought of contacting the CEO and relaying your discontent of the change in service without written concent. After all there are many of us that where misinformed by our sales reps, that the everything data plan included PAM. I myself have sent an email to [email protected], nothing harrassing, just saying that this change was brought to my attention without prior notification and how upsetting it is to have my plan altered without my knowladge (Heck sprint has my home address and all 3 of my emails, not to mention they could have sent me a freaking text msg to tell me about this change).

10-20-09 08:02 PM
    I have done something similar in the past. What happened is one of the higher up sales managers responded to me. I had a different issue. The end result was after many attempts to remedy my problem I was relieved of my contract and free to go elsewhere.

Anyway, my point is, it may not be a bad idea to contact someone in a position of a higher authority than the seemingly incompetent phone representatives.

I personally don't use tehtering at this point but it may not be a bad idea to escalate our concerns. I would like to use it in the future.
    10-20-09 10:50 PM
    The unlimited data plans for phones are truly unlimited, but as far as PAM and data cards are concerned there is a 5GB data cap. Thank the people that abused the service by running bittorrents and things for that.

In other words, if you use Sprint's data plans to access the internet on your phone directly it's unlimited. Use it to access the internet on your computer and there is a 5GB cap.
    Well with all the podcasts I download through opera mini, I sure hope there is no cap on the phone.
    I am 5 days into the cycle and am up to 1.1 GB with NO tethering.
    10-21-09 04:42 AM
    Has anyone thought of contacting the CEO and relaying your discontent of the change in service without written concent. After all there are many of us that where misinformed by our sales reps, that the everything data plan included PAM. I myself have sent an email to [email protected], nothing harrassing, just saying that this change was brought to my attention without prior notification and how upsetting it is to have my plan altered without my knowladge (Heck sprint has my home address and all 3 of my emails, not to mention they could have sent me a freaking text msg to tell me about this change).

email sent.
    10-21-09 04:46 AM
    Well I got a reply just a few mins ago guys....

Dear Mr. *******(sorry not gonna place my real name here):

*Your recent inquiry was forwarded to the Sprint Executive & Regulatory Services Department and I have been asked to speak with you regarding your concerns.* Please accept my apology for any inconvenience you may have experienced.*I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you.* Please contact me toll-free at 1-866-727-0665, Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Central Time.* Please reference case ****** at the time of your call.**

Sincerely,*Latasha Y. HarrisVIP Executive AnalystExecutive & Regulatory Services817-698-2421 office1-866-727-0665 toll free
    [email protected]

Last edited by Yokomohoyo; 10-22-09 at 12:35 AM.
    10-21-09 09:26 AM
253 ... 891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD