We need to make a poll to figure out were the tethering is working and were it's not, perhaps something listing all lower 48 states and then have everyone vote for their state were tethering isn't working any longer but that would just help Sprint in deciding were they need to work on I guess.....
    10-02-09 05:24 PM
    We need to make a poll to figure out were the tethering is working and were it's not, perhaps something listing all lower 48 states and then have everyone vote for their state were tethering isn't working any longer but that would just help Sprint in deciding were they need to work on I guess.....

That would make my job a whole lot easier. I killed atleast 100 PAM usernames today alone
    10-02-09 05:25 PM
    I was cut off for awhile as well, but after an OS update and deleting and resetting up the connections, things started working again. I know the first assumption is to blame Sprint. But has anyone actually confirmed from a Sprint rep (on or off the record) that this is what's happening. Don't quote me on this (as I couldn't find a definite answer on their website), but I'm pretty sure all Tetherberry is doing, is setting up a DUN connection for you, and connecting you to the internet, in a simple and straight forward manner. Just making something simple for those that may be intimidated by doing the setup themselves, etc (ex. Do I use an accountant or do my taxes myself). If Tetherberry, is just setting up DUN connection, then it would seem that you should still be able to do it yourself. What makes me think it's just setting up a DUN is this statement from their website: "Will I be charged additional fees or tethering fees from using TetherBerry? This is really hard for us to answer. Each carrier has unique contracts with each individual. Our phone uses your normal Blackberry data plan. Although most carriers say they are offering you a unlimited plan there are usually 5 GB caps. Please review your carrier's contract and review our Terms of Service." This is the same risk you have when setting up a DUN yourself.
    Wow, not being able to post links sucks. Anyway, on the Sprint community forums, 2 employees address this in a thread called "Blackberry Curve phone as modem..."
    10-02-09 05:35 PM
    Yes.. YES!! Sprint feeds on the angry tears on the disconnected tether ability.

~Nom Nom Nom Nom~
    lol, that's pretty awesome
    10-02-09 05:43 PM
    Wow, not being able to post links sucks. Anyway, on the Sprint community forums, 2 employees address this in a thread called "Blackberry Curve phone as modem..."
    Here is the link. Blackberry Curve phone as modem...

What they are basically saying is PAM is not available...period. It was grandfathered in from old plans for those who had it years ago, but all current and new "Everything Plans" do not offer PAM and it is not offered as an "add on."

They want you to buy the air card @ $59.95 for your laptop and pay for that monthly service.

So if you are still tethering using Smartview or DUN prepare to kiss your tethering goodbye. It will soon come to an end. They will cut everyone off eventually.
    10-02-09 05:55 PM
    i dont see how you can be upset at no longer having something you were not entitled to in the first place..

Can i just go on record as saying this SUCKS! I was able to hook up via usb and Smartview on Monday and now nothing yesterday or today. I am not a happy camper.
    10-02-09 06:03 PM
    Just heard through rumor mill from our center manager that We (Sprint) might be decomissioning Phone as a Modem completly. Im going to see what i can find out but this may be only a rumor so dont wig out.
    10-02-09 06:06 PM
    Here is the link. Blackberry Curve phone as modem...

What they are basically saying is PAM is not available...period. It was grandfathered in from old plans for those who had it years ago, but all current and new "Everything Plans" do not offer PAM and it is not offered as an "add on."

They want you to buy the air card @ $59.95 for your laptop and pay for that monthly service.

So if you are still tethering using Smartview or DUN prepare to kiss your tethering goodbye. It will soon come to an end. They will cut everyone off eventually.
    This sounds pretty believable for two reasons:
    1) SE plans are being pushed as *the* plan option, which don't even offer PAM as addon anyways.
    2) A lot of people are getting cut off already. They wouldn't bother unless it was going to be a big change.
    10-02-09 07:25 PM
    I was bummed when my tether connection stopped working. I travel all the time so i use my BB for internet in the hotels without free wifi, ($12.95 for 24 hours???? right...). Both DUN via bluetooth and USB thru Smartview stopped working at the same time. For some reason I had a feeling this was coming when they went to the any carrier unlimited minutes deal.

I guess all good things must come to an end. Im not too bent out of shape about it tho, i knew i wasnt paying for it in the first place. I will however drop my plan to the everything 450, i seldom call landlines and all carriers are unlimited now. So $30 a month cheaper, $25 for tetherberry. I am going to save money in the end. Screw em.

I just installed tetherberry and its working smooth, seems to load pages quicker than SV so far. A few questions since i cant test this solo, when using tetherberry can you still recieve phone calls? (even if it interrupts data service) How about texts?
    10-02-09 10:10 PM
    Boy am I glad I'm grandfathered into the bb personal pack even tho reps are constaly trying to convince me to switch to se-i stay gfathered up for a reason!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 10:31 PM
    BB Personal pack is still available, if you're on a Talk Plan or an old F&F of F&C plan you can add it on still...
    10-03-09 02:25 AM
    i dont see how you can be upset at no longer having something you were not entitled to in the first place..
    Wow, all I said was that I wasn't happy about it, I know that I had a good thing and now its over. I don't have to be happy about it, but I accept that its over it. I was just expressing my opinion.

10-03-09 07:31 AM
    tethering was the only thing keeping me with sprint at this point. dont' think i'll even wait for my contract to end.
    10-03-09 09:37 AM
    haha yeah, if you ask for it - and are lucky enough to get a rep who still knows what it is! they keep trying to convince me to switch to a se plan for $69....i know i will probably never see tethering again if i do this. i prefer to keep things the way they are, since everything just seems to work perfectly this way. **** starts to **** up once you start making changes!

BB Personal pack is still available, if you're on a Talk Plan or an old F&F of F&C plan you can add it on still...
    10-04-09 12:21 AM
    Man, if it weren't for the SEP that keeps me tethered to Sprint... LOL
    10-04-09 04:10 AM

I just installed tetherberry and its working smooth, seems to load pages quicker than SV so far. A few questions since i cant test this solo, when using tetherberry can you still recieve phone calls? (even if it interrupts data service) How about texts?
    I've been a happy user of PdaNet for years. First treo, then windows mobile, and now BB Tour. I tested Tetherberry and PdaNet, and PdaNet was about 4x faster. I'm getting 558/287 down/up with PdaNet, and got 128/80 with Tetherberry. And, at $29.95, it's affordable.

So far, so good (no cut-off).

Happy tethering
    10-04-09 02:24 PM
    Just ran a speedtest with Tetherberry on Friday. I got 798 down, 156 up. Not the best, but it's working well enough for me. This was with 2 bars of Sprint's EVDO Rev A data.
    10-04-09 03:50 PM
    I am now officially cut-off. I tried connecting using Smart View today and got the 678 error. I am on a Talk Share Plan with the BlackBerry Personal Pack add-on. It looks like everybody is eventually going to get cutoff.

Looks like I'll be getting Tether Berry next time they run a half price deal. $50 is a little too much for me.
    10-04-09 04:21 PM
    This just means that the smart view program is no longer working-so what? They fixed the smart view hole...big deal. You can still tether just fine via bt, or with tetherberry-still plenty of options. On the tour, I get speeds just as fast using bt as I do over usb. Not really a huge difference anymore.

10-04-09 05:26 PM
    This just means that the smart view program is no longer working-so what? They fixed the smart view hole...big deal. You can still tether just fine via bt, or with tetherberry-still plenty of options. On the tour, I get speeds just as fast using bt as I do over usb. Not really a huge difference anymore.

There are 2 points:
    1) Some people want to tether legit. You can't basically on SEP and probably never will.
    2) This might be a trend. Simple data usage can show tethering pretty obviously. They might start doing more about it.
    10-04-09 08:22 PM
    Good point(s) - as far as #2...the carrier really can't easilly tell the difference between casual tethering, or simply using data-intensive apps throughout the course of a billing cycle...I've studied this very thoroughly...casual tethering for a month actually ended up just short of what my monthly average data usage would normally be on the bb, just by using data-intensive apps.

There are 2 points:
    1) Some people want to tether legit. You can't basically on SEP and probably never will.
    2) This might be a trend. Simple data usage can show tethering pretty obviously. They might start doing more about it.
    10-04-09 09:34 PM
    I think the discussion at Sprint went something like this: (firing Milton = Tethering Cut Off).

Bob Slydell: Milton Waddams.
    Dom Portwood: Who's he?
    Bob Porter: You know, squirrely looking guy, mumbles a lot.
    Dom Portwood: Oh, yeah.
    Bob Slydell: Yeah, we can't actually find a record of him being a current employee here.
    Bob Porter: I looked into it more deeply and I found that apparently what happened is that he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him about it; but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck.
    Bob Slydell: So we just went ahead and fixed the glitch.
    Bill Lumbergh: Great.
    Dom Portwood: So, uh, Milton has been let go?
    Bob Slydell: Well, just a second there, professor. We, uh, we fixed the *glitch*. So he won't be receiving a paycheck anymore, so it'll just work itself out naturally.
    Bob Porter: We always like to avoid confrontation, whenever possible. Problem is solved from your end.

(I'm still stuck on step three of my recovery. Still just plain mad).
    10-06-09 05:56 PM
    I think the discussion at Sprint went something like this: (firing Milton = Tethering Cut Off).

Bob Slydell: Milton Waddams.
    Dom Portwood: Who's he?
    Bob Porter: You know, squirrely looking guy, mumbles a lot.
    Dom Portwood: Oh, yeah.
    Bob Slydell: Yeah, we can't actually find a record of him being a current employee here.
    Bob Porter: I looked into it more deeply and I found that apparently what happened is that he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him about it; but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck.
    Bob Slydell: So we just went ahead and fixed the glitch.
    Bill Lumbergh: Great.
    Dom Portwood: So, uh, Milton has been let go?
    Bob Slydell: Well, just a second there, professor. We, uh, we fixed the *glitch*. So he won't be receiving a paycheck anymore, so it'll just work itself out naturally.
    Bob Porter: We always like to avoid confrontation, whenever possible. Problem is solved from your end.

(I'm still stuck on step three of my recovery. Still just plain mad).
    LMAO LMAO LMAO
    10-06-09 07:48 PM
    That is CLASSIC!!!! Lmao!

10-06-09 08:20 PM
    Confirmed. My tethering was cut off as of last night.
    10-07-09 12:35 PM
253 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD