Still running DUN on my Tour. Wonder if they're going through and cutting everyone off, or if it's by account type. I've read several people stating that this and this plan doesn't work (and then others chime and stating it works for them). Maybe we can create a list and compare the type of plan you're on, the data on your plan (if it's not included, like Vision, Power Vision, etc.), and whether or not PAM still works for you?

I'm on Free and Clear, with BIS, and PAM works for me. I'm connected via my Tour now as I type this.
    09-30-09 11:42 PM
    I just checked. I can't tether anymore either. My plan hasn't changed yet (the any mobile thing hasn't been added).

I probably haven't used even 1 MB on it...I would only log in sometimes to see if it's working.

Maybe we'll have to use something like CDMA workshop to modify some settings so it appears that it's the phone surfing, and not our computer...

EDIT: I just noticed that my phone turned off it's mobile network service, so the radio was off. (Why would it even turn itself off?) Anyway, this edit is being posted through my computer being tethered to my blackberry. Whew!
    If you figure it out, let me know. I'm getting the same error code as well. What is the CMDA workshop and how would I use it?
    10-01-09 12:16 AM
    I've contacted Sprint about getting PAM added to my plan so I could use it on my Tour and I was that PAM isn't available on the Tour. Maybe they'll add it now that they're cutting off Smartview.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Don't hold your breath.
    10-01-09 12:36 AM
    Ive used three gig without tethering, documents to go allows for one to chew thru a lot of data, as can youtube mobile on HQ settings 8)

I had a month where my laptop was with my Mom, and my Desktops power supply blew taking my motherboard, CPU and videocard with it ( It was an expensive Thermaltake PSU )

Took a minute to get the money together to replace the parts, the BB saved my life.
    Last edited by pauldriver; 10-01-09 at 03:32 AM.
    10-01-09 03:16 AM
    Eventually I bet we all get cut off Tethering. I just bought TetherBerry, works likes a champ! Hopefully Sprint wont cut us off that too.

Wouldn't it be sweet if we could have a WiFi hotspot like the iPhone 3GS can do? Guess we need WiFi first.
    10-01-09 03:46 AM
    Eventually I bet we all get cut off Tethering. I just bought TetherBerry, works likes a champ! Hopefully Sprint wont cut us off that too.

Wouldn't it be sweet if we could have a WiFi hotspot like the iPhone 3GS can do? Guess we need WiFi first.
    I don't think Sprint will be able to cut off tetherberry since it works like an application on your phone and not a modem. So unless they start putting restrictions on their OS about what apps you can use and which you can't, we should be safe.
    10-01-09 08:30 AM
    I also have very slow speeds and for me, after about 15 minutes connection my whole laptop freezes up solid. No mouse, keyboard. Have to power down.

Bob
    10-01-09 08:38 AM
    Sprint told me all the older plans (pre-Everything type plans, which are more than a year or two old) will be grandfathered and keep tethering. All the Everything Plans of the last year or so are being cut off.

And Sprint doesn't technically block Wifi. But notice their versions of most or all phones don't do wifi!

I hope Tetherberry gets faster (up to 150kbps upload last nite, yeah!). But doable.
    10-01-09 08:58 AM
    I had been tethering my laptop with sprint using my unlimited data plan. I have now been cut off like everyone else. I have the 8330 curve without the blackberry service and want to use tetherberry but it says I have to download the app to the phone. How can I get that app on my phone? Is there an option for installing the app via the desktop manager? Please help!
    10-01-09 09:36 AM
    you go to the webpage listed. you just type in the address in your browser. its pretty simple.
    10-01-09 11:12 AM
    Just dropping by to add another story. I got to work yesterday where there is no open wifi and couldn't connect, pulled up this forum on my phone and heard the news.

When my contract is up Sprint will absolutely lose me as a customer. I don't care if they offer me a free Tour with a free plan, they are liars who deserve to go out of business for their terrible business practices.

I got my BB though retentions before I agreed to remain a customer I flat out asked if there was anything the phone was capable of doing that was not included unlimited on my plan (except the 450 minutes) I was told everything was included I couldn't be charged extra for anything. I was specifically asking about my unlimited data usage. I made sure the ask the question clearly and made sure I got the answer clearly. But just like the price we agreed upon I was LIED to.

I recently had another problem if my phone called in the hopes of simply upgrading my phone, after my history problems with Sprint and this phone I thought it would be smooth sailing but they wouldn't do a damn thing for me.

Now this, I just wanted to leave my comment as another example of Sprint reps lying to get you to agree for the "you were lucky for a while, they just closed a loophole" crowd.

Their reps are either clueless as to how to do their jobs or they are willfully lying to customers.

I would have no problem paying $5 maybe even $10 a month for the luxury of the service, but they don't offer that, and I was told it was included.

I use it at work once a week when I'm at a location that has no open wifi, it's not worth $50 for the limited usage.

Looks like I will be getting tetherberry.
    10-01-09 12:06 PM
    Just got tetherberry posting with it right now. Ran a speed test and it was sooooo slow, but surfing speeds seem the same as smartview so I have no idea.

Problem solved...at least for now.
    10-01-09 12:38 PM
    I was specifically asking about my unlimited data usage. I made sure the ask the question clearly and made sure I got the answer clearly. But just like the price we agreed upon I was LIED to.
    Haven't we already established that unlimited data usage on the phone isn't the same thing as tethering?

Not liking it is one thing. Most of the carriers do the exact same thing, so you can take your business to somewhere else that has the exact same issue all over again...
    10-01-09 12:42 PM
    Haven't we already established that unlimited data usage on the phone isn't the same thing as tethering?

Not liking it is one thing. Most of the carriers do the exact same thing, so you can take your business to somewhere else that has the exact same issue all over again...
    I asked if there was anything my phone was able to do that wasn't covered under my everything data plan, I was afraid of being hit with overage charges for using Sprint TV, GPS, PAM, ect.

I understand surfing the web on the phone is different from tethering, but the fact of the matter is the phone is capable of doing PAM and I was told that if the phone is capable of doing it that it is covered and unlimited. I refused to agree to a new contract until this was made crystal clear. I was lied to, many times as it turns out.

It's not a question of no carriers offer this service for free and that we "got away with it for a while" it's an issue of many of us were lied to as to what was and was not included and we agreed to 2 year contracts because of these lies.
    10-01-09 12:58 PM
    I'm not a Blackberry user, but I've experienced the same issue recently.

I've been tethering for about a year on my Q9c under a Power Pack 450 plan (no PAM option). I switched to the new Everything Data 450, and tethering no longer works.

I haven't talked to Sprint yet but it sounds like that will be a fruitless conversation. I'll still call just to register the complaint though.

FYI, I'm using PDANet now (which has a version available for newer Blackberries), and it works fine. It's not free, but at least it works.

Edit: Was going to post my SpeedTest.net results but can't post link. I get

1.02 Mb/s down
    0.10 Mb/s up
    667 ms ping
    Last edited by SanDiegoStevo; 10-01-09 at 01:26 PM.
    10-01-09 01:21 PM
    I asked if there was anything my phone was able to do that wasn't covered under my everything data plan, I was afraid of being hit with overage charges for using Sprint TV, GPS, PAM, ect.

I understand surfing the web on the phone is different from tethering, but the fact of the matter is the phone is capable of doing PAM and I was told that if the phone is capable of doing it that it is covered and unlimited. I refused to agree to a new contract until this was made crystal clear. I was lied to, many times as it turns out.

It's not a question of no carriers offer this service for free and that we "got away with it for a while" it's an issue of many of us were lied to as to what was and was not included and we agreed to 2 year contracts because of these lies.
    This is why government intervention happens in business. Sprint and the other carriers are running their business like slimy used car salesmen. Except they aren't selling used cars, they are selling acesss to airwaves they rent from the FCC. If these carriers want the government all up in their sh*t, they can keep lying, cheating and swindling the public. It'll happen....and they will cry.
    10-01-09 01:53 PM
    I seriously doubt most of the people in that group are "victims" of any sort...

I doubt they questioned why they were getting free PAM for years, when it was never included in the plan and clearly stated so in multiple places AND there was a charged addon available for PAM for a long time... They didn't question it because they got it for free. Now they do.

As for misinformation, find me a carrier that has CSR's that all know what is included in all available plans and you might have a point. Otherwise, again, you will have the exact same misinformation problem on ANY carrier...
    10-01-09 01:53 PM
    I seriously doubt most of the people in that group are "victims" of any sort...

I doubt they questioned why they were getting free PAM for years, when it was never included in the plan and clearly stated so in multiple places AND there was a charged addon available for PAM for a long time... They didn't question it because they got it for free. Now they do.

As for misinformation, find me a carrier that has CSR's that all know what is included in all available plans and you might have a point. Otherwise, again, you will have the exact same misinformation problem on ANY carrier...
    Agreed. No one complained when they were getting free PAM.

However, Sprint _should_ allow people to add PAM to their plan. Many people have stated they don't mind paying the additional $15/month for this feature. For many, it's usually the only way of connecting to the net for the occassional time needed without paying $50/month for a broadband card.
    10-01-09 03:02 PM

However, Sprint _should_ allow people to add PAM to their plan. Many people have stated they don't mind paying the additional $15/month for this feature. For many, it's usually the only way of connecting to the net for the occassional time needed without paying $50/month for a broadband card.
    I agree. Sprint should give us the PAM option regardless of what plan we have. I wouldn't pay $15/mth, but i'm sure a lot of people would.
    10-01-09 03:10 PM

Yeah they should.
    10-01-09 04:16 PM
    I agree. Sprint should give us the PAM option regardless of what plan we have. I wouldn't pay $15/mth, but i'm sure a lot of people would.

Yes, they should be flexible, not try to get $50/mo out of you for something that is limited. Anyways, dont worry people, it will be figured out or you can just buy Tetherberry.
    10-01-09 04:37 PM
    Where do you go to get tetherberry for the discounted price of $25 dollars. When you go to purchase on their site its still listing at $49.95

Is there a special link to go to?
    10-01-09 04:53 PM
    Do this, get Tetherberry. There is a special through Crackberry's third party shopping cart Mobihand. $24.97 until Oct 2nd. (regular price $49.95)
    Use coupon code tberry50 at CrackBerryAppStore.com
    Where do you go to get tetherberry for the discounted price of $25 dollars. When you go to purchase on their site its still listing at $49.95

Is there a special link to go to?
    It's been stated in this thread.
    10-01-09 05:03 PM
    I had been tethering my laptop with sprint using my unlimited data plan. I have now been cut off like everyone else. I have the 8330 curve without the blackberry service and want to use tetherberry but it says I have to download the app to the phone. How can I get that app on my phone? Is there an option for installing the app via the desktop manager? Please help!
    If you have the unlimited data plan you have Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) with Sprint unless it is something special I don't know about.
    10-01-09 05:04 PM
    If you have a data plan (that is not BIS/BES), then go ahead and use the BB Browser hack (Google it) and you'll be able to use the native BB Browser. From there, you can download apps OTA without a problem.
    10-01-09 05:08 PM
253 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD