As of this morning I can't Tether via Bluetooth/Mac or PC/DUN(#777).

I just installed Tetherberry (Thanks to whoever posted the discount code). It works fine but the speeds are noticeably slower than the above solution.

Better than nothing.
    09-30-09 10:17 AM
    I get the same speed tests using tetherberry as those who were using it via smart view and the #777 method
    09-30-09 10:31 AM
    As of this morning I can't Tether via Bluetooth/Mac or PC/DUN(#777).

I just installed Tetherberry (Thanks to whoever posted the discount code). It works fine but the speeds are noticeably slower than the above solution.

Better than nothing.
    I've been running Tetherberry for a couple of days now. It is a little slower than Smartview and DUN(#777), but yeah it is better than nothing. Also it saves you $15 a month for PAM ($180 a year for PAM as opposed to the $25 one-time fee for Tetherberry). Supposedly the speed should improve when they add new servers. Again, don't go over your "unlimited data" cap of 5gb per month.

Use coupon code tberry50 at CrackBerryAppStore.com
    Last edited by skd1970; 09-30-09 at 11:20 AM.
    09-30-09 10:41 AM
    where is this 5gb per month in sprint. how could it be with an unlimited plan and theyre sprint tv and gps. thats more than 5 gb a month of use. no?
    09-30-09 12:09 PM
    no, Ive never even gone over a gig using my phone only, usually about 2-3 if I tether a lot in the month.
    09-30-09 12:49 PM
    if you want its only $25 from now til friday.

Im thinking about it. Maybe I just wont get a BB as my next phone? I have the Instinct now and I HATE IT. I wanted the Tour but it doesnt have WiFi and its not as great as I thought it would be. Maybe the new Tour will be better (wifi and trackpad) but then again it would be another BB.

Does anyone have the technical details on how this works? How are they able to cut it off only on the BB? I just tried to tether with the Instinct and it still works.

I know there are some who think this has been a "freebee" for some time and now Sprint is just closing the "loophole" but I dont agree. I feel I pay a premium 100+ for the SE plan and that mean unlimited data. They shouldnt be able to descriminate against PAM traffic as the traffic is still from the phone and im paying for it.
    09-30-09 02:30 PM
    They shouldnt be able to descriminate against PAM traffic as the traffic is still from the phone and im paying for it.
    To Sprint's defense, there is a HUGE difference between data traffic of a phone and data traffic of a laptop. The content you request with a laptop is a lot more data intensive than what you'd be requesting on a mobile browser. Their unlimited data was intended for data usage of a phone's broswer/apps, not someone on a laptop.

It was great while it lasted, but i'm not going to get upset at Sprint unless other carriers are offering it for free.
    09-30-09 02:35 PM
    To Sprint's defense, there is a HUGE difference between data traffic of a phone and data traffic of a laptop. The content you request with a laptop is a lot more data intensive than what you'd be requesting on a mobile browser. Their unlimited data was intended for data usage of a phone's broswer/apps, not someone on a laptop.

It was great while it lasted, but i'm not going to get upset at Sprint unless other carriers are offering it for free.
    Yep. It's kinda like saying that running your entire household's internet connection off your phone through tethering is the same as browsing the web or data apps on the phone itself. It clearly isn't.

Try racking up 5gb in a month on the actual phone vs doing it on a single PC. Gb of data transferred is a joke on a PC.
    09-30-09 02:41 PM
    And look at it this way, abuse always ends up in something changing for the worse.

Say the carriers allowed PAM as part of your unlimited data officially. What would be the result?

Higher data plan rates or your current unlimited plans would have lower data caps introduced for the same price. If more people (on a large scale) start using 5-10-100x the bandwidth and are paying the same prices, something will give.
    09-30-09 02:53 PM
    And look at it this way, abuse always ends up in something changing for the worse.
    So true.

Reminds me of the days when people used to hack DirecTv. The community of 'hackers' started small but the support was great. It became easy to get the software/tools required to get free TV. Then people started getting greedy and making a business out of it, advertising it, and teaching everybody and their mother how to do it. DirecTv began to notice that this was something out of control so new tactics beyond the changing encryption methods cat/mouse game had to be implemented. It ruined it for the people who didn't abuse their knowledge since a lot of those people were actually paying subscribers.
    09-30-09 03:09 PM

Say the carriers allowed PAM as part of your unlimited data officially. What would be the result?

Higher data plan rates or your current unlimited plans would have lower data caps introduced for the same price. If more people (on a large scale) start using 5-10-100x the bandwidth and are paying the same prices, something will give.
    I see what your saying, but I dont agree. Even with my wife's new Tour, I am not impressed by the speeds being delivered to the phone's browser. I dont know if they are limiting it in some way or its just the processing power needed by the phone to render the page makes it slow but I have a better experience with PAM. That also brings me to my next point of the whole 3G/4G advertising. Why can they advertise speed but you can make anything meaningful out of it.

Anyways, lets find a way to hack it. If Tetherberry is the solution, then thats $25 one time for them and still $0 for Sprint. I pay enough for their service to get internet access when Im not in Wifi range (or dont want to pay for it). I found this all out when I tried to setup my wife's Tour for tethering so she could have internet access at Disney rather than pay $20/day (rediculous).
    Last edited by popokew; 09-30-09 at 03:56 PM.
    09-30-09 03:54 PM
    I see what your saying, but I dont agree. Even with my wife's new Tour, I am not impressed by the speeds being delivered to the phone's browser. I dont know if they are limiting it in some way or its just the processing power needed by the phone to render the page makes it slow but I have a better experience with PAM. That also brings me to my next point of the whole 3G/4G advertising. Why can they advertise speed but you can make anything meaningful out of it.

Anyways, lets find a way to hack it. If Tetherberry is the solution, then thats $25 one time for them and still $0 for Sprint. I pay enough for their service to get internet access when Im not in Wifi range (or dont want to pay for it). I found this all out when I tried to setup my wife's Tour for tethering so she could have internet access at Disney rather than pay $20/day (rediculous).
    You are paying for data on your phone, not for your phone to be used as a modem. If Sprint somehow led you to believe that using your phone as a modem was included, you are mistaken. I don't think anyone can agree with your stance.
    09-30-09 03:58 PM
    I see what your saying, but I dont agree. Even with my wife's new Tour, I am not impressed by the speeds being delivered to the phone's browser. I dont know if they are limiting it in some way or its just the processing power needed by the phone to render the page makes it slow but I have a better experience with PAM.
    Of course it's not the same though. The phone hardware is != your PC, the phone browser is != to your PC browser.

I don't really see how that validates free PAM though. Like I said, even if you got your wish, you *will* end up eating the cost eventually anyways.

Why can they advertise speed but you can make anything meaningful out of it.
    Data speeds are not used only for web browsing. Also you are confusing multiple issues into one. The carrier advertises 3g speeds of their network. How is it their problem or responsibility that X 3rd party browser doesn't render images or handle javascript/flash/etc fast enough? There are tons of 3rd party browsers too. What if one works much faster than the other, yet only certain browsers are available on certain phones due to OS and phone restrictions. Not a carrier network problem at all.

The data very well might perform up to a certain level, but if your phone's hardware or various software is the limitation, what do you expect the carriers to do, advertise poor network speeds to compensate?
    Last edited by papped; 09-30-09 at 04:16 PM.
    09-30-09 04:11 PM
    Of course it's not the same though. The phone hardware is != your PC, the phone browser is != to your PC browser.

I don't really see how that validates free PAM though. Like I said, even if you got your wish, you *will* end up eating the cost eventually anyways.

Data speeds are not used only for web browsing. Also you are confusing multiple issues into one. The carrier advertises 3g speeds of their network. How is it their problem or responsibility that X 3rd party browser doesn't render images or handle javascript/flash/etc fast enough? There are tons of 3rd party browsers too. What if one works much faster than the other, yet only certain browsers are available on certain phones due to OS and phone restrictions. Not a carrier network problem at all.

The data very well might perform up to a certain level, but if your phone's hardware or various software is the limitation, what do you expect the carriers to do, advertise poor network speeds to compensate?

Look guys, I love this forum and I dont want to argue with you so hopefully we can agree to disagree. Even if I was WILLING to PAY for it, it has been mentioned before that you CANT on a SE. You have to have a regular voice plan and add on a data plan. (correct me if im wrong). If this is the case (and i have seen many time it is) this is just Sprint trying to stick it to you.
    09-30-09 04:49 PM
    Is it really "sticking it to you" though? The SE plans are simply discounted bundles (whether you use the services included or not).

They don't add PAM to bundled plans. If you need PAM, then you wouldn't pick a SE plan, unless you were just tethering "for free" unofficially in the first place, then it got cut off.
    09-30-09 05:08 PM
    I've contacted Sprint about getting PAM added to my plan so I could use it on my Tour and I was that PAM isn't available on the Tour. Maybe they'll add it now that they're cutting off Smartview.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 05:10 PM
    I've contacted Sprint about getting PAM added to my plan so I could use it on my Tour and I was that PAM isn't available on the Tour. Maybe they'll add it now that they're cutting off Smartview.

I kinda doubt it personally. The smartview thing was more of an error correction in their mind rather than a removal of a service.
    09-30-09 05:14 PM
    Yea i believe that Sprint has cut off tethering with blackberries, it might be temporary or forever im not sure but with everyone i know that has used a blackberry to tether with sprint can no longer do it they keep getting error 678. That was the only thing keeping me with Sprint really, Iphone here i come.
    Like,What? Your gonna Tether with a Iphone. It doesn't have flash yet also.
    09-30-09 05:21 PM
    We can talk all day about what plan is this or that and if this is right or wrong, but I have been with Sprint since 96. I used tethering occasionally when going on trips and considered this to be a perk. I put up with marginal service and crappy phone selection (before the Tour) because I have the SEP and I can tether when I go out of town and need to connect to the internet. I can tell you, Sprint will lose this battle. Tetherberry and pdanet will continue to work as Sprint cant stop you from loading a particular app (if they do, expect riots). Also, dont think that there arent people in the background right now working to disable whatever it takes to make PAM work again for free. When there is a will, there is a way and right now the economy sucks and if people can save $50 they will do it. $50 isnt the point to me, my issue is that I cant add it and even if I wanted to switch plans, $50 is not a reasonable price. I have an 8900 with TMO at work, maybe when the 3G BB comes out for TMO I will just get it and tether with that one and drop Sprint all together.
    09-30-09 05:23 PM
    Like,What? Your gonna Tether with a Iphone. It doesn't have flash yet also.
    You can tether with an iPhone. I hate the fact that the iPhone is such a fad but I do like the fact that it can be hacked and pretty much anything you wanted to do with it is available to you. In fact, you can make it a wifi access point. Now the disadvantage is that its on AT&T!
    09-30-09 05:27 PM
    I can tell you, Sprint will lose this battle. Tetherberry and pdanet will continue to work as Sprint cant stop you from loading a particular app (if they do, expect riots). Also, dont think that there arent people in the background right now working to disable whatever it takes to make PAM work again for free. When there is a will, there is a way and right now the economy sucks and if people can save $50 they will do it.
    That's the point though, your own words explain why people are getting booted from PAM right now... Why pay for PAM when you can tether for free? If you can tether 500mb for free, why not use it more often and save more $?

They do not have to restrict or even know what apps you are running. Data usage alone shows who is tethering a significant amount. Browsing the web alone on a PC uses insanely more data than you would use on your phone, not including anything else you do through tethering.
    09-30-09 05:28 PM
    You can tether with an iPhone. I hate the fact that the iPhone is such a fad but I do like the fact that it can be hacked and pretty much anything you wanted to do with it is available to you. In fact, you can make it a wifi access point. Now the disadvantage is that its on AT&T!
    If hacking and customization are what you want, WM is far, far better in that regard than the iphone. It's not even close...
    09-30-09 05:29 PM
    Im thinking about it. Maybe I just wont get a BB as my next phone? I have the Instinct now and I HATE IT. I wanted the Tour but it doesn't have WiFi and its not as great as I thought it would be. Maybe the new Tour will be better (wifi and trackpad) but then again it would be another BB.

Does anyone have the technical details on how this works? How are they able to cut it off only on the BB? I just tried to tether with the Instinct and it still works.

I know there are some who think this has been a "freebee" for some time and now Sprint is just closing the "loophole" but I dont agree. I feel I pay a premium 100+ for the SE plan and that mean unlimited data. They shouldnt be able to descriminate against PAM traffic as the traffic is still from the phone and im paying for it.
    If you read the fine print with every carrier's unlimited data plans you will see there is a 5GB limit. Hard to reach with a phone but not hard with a computer as some people around here will attest too, from being busted for illegally tethering (using the phone as a modem) and going over that 5GB limit and receiving bills for over several thousand dollars, one was over 8 thousand dollars! So now if you want to risk it with those kind of consequences, go for it.
    09-30-09 05:36 PM
    I finally got mine cut off...

I went and got tetherberry, and it works great.
    09-30-09 07:24 PM
    If you read the fine print with every carrier's unlimited data plans you will see there is a 5GB limit. Hard to reach with a phone but not hard with a computer as some people around here will attest too, from being busted for illegally tethering (using the phone as a modem) and going over that 5GB limit and receiving bills for over several thousand dollars, one was over 8 thousand dollars! So now if you want to risk it with those kind of consequences, go for it.
    The amount of tethering I do is minimal. If I did gigs and gigs of data that would be different. This kind of stuff just works me up so ill try to stop the ranting and wait for a free solution or buy tetherberry.

09-30-09 08:22 PM
253 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD