My Simply Everything plan now states that you must have some Mobile Connect (I think that's what it's called?) plan with a usage quota. I can't swear it was in the agreement I signed up with over a year ago -- when you get your phone they just give you a bunch of receipts and no real contract.

I downloaded Tetherberry and that works fine... until they figure out how to block that, but by that time I'm hoping my subscription is up.

Thanks guys for the TB recommend.
    09-27-09 03:54 PM
    For those wondering, Tetherberry is not the same as tethering your phone. It does not use any type of dialup networking. It works by acting as any other app on your phone connecting to the internet except, rather than the data staying on your phone, it sends it to your computer via bluetooth. As far as your wireless provider is concerned it is just data sent to your phone. They cannot block you from using Tetherberry unless they somehow found out a way to prevent you from installing the app on your phone (Apple style).
    09-28-09 01:56 AM
    For those wondering, Tetherberry is not the same as tethering your phone. It does not use any type of dialup networking. It works by acting as any other app on your phone connecting to the internet except, rather than the data staying on your phone, it sends it to your computer via bluetooth. As far as your wireless provider is concerned it is just data sent to your phone. They cannot block you from using Tetherberry unless they somehow found out a way to prevent you from installing the app on your phone (Apple style).
    As of lastnight , my bb tour is tethering just fine. Think it might be ur phone. Try reinstalling ur program if ur running tetherberry and see if that works. If ur tethering some other way, sprint only offers tethering now with there phone as modem plan add on. You have to download a program called sprint smartview and use that program to connect like a dial up service would. Allthough I'd u have the new tour, they don't have a up to date smartview program so tetherberry is the only way. Which I would recommend because its a one time $58 charge as with sprint smartview its $15 a month and even more then that because u cannot have the tethering add on with a simply type plan. So u have to rearrange ur plan around this tethering option and ur plan ends up being about $30 more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 07:07 AM
    Thanks. I've been wondering how this program works. Looks like this is our only option right now. I've contacted Sprint and they're still saying that they don't have a plan available for tethering the Tour.

09-28-09 09:04 AM
    I'm still confused as to how Sprint is deciding who to cut off. I am still tethering (for free) via SmartView.

My theory is that the Everything Data plans specifically state that tethering or PAM is not included. I am on a regular share talk plan with a $30 a month Blackberry Personal Pack which doesn't mention tethering at all. It doesn't say it's inlcuded or not included. I'm thinking that until they re-word the terms of the BB Personal Pack, I'll be able to tether.
    09-28-09 09:13 AM
    I'm still confused as to how Sprint is deciding who to cut off. I am still tethering (for free) via SmartView.

My theory is that the Everything Data plans specifically state that tethering or PAM is not included. I am on a regular share talk plan with a $30 a month Blackberry Personal Pack which doesn't mention tethering at all. It doesn't say it's inlcuded or not included. I'm thinking that until they re-word the terms of the BB Personal Pack, I'll be able to tether.
    You are thinking correctly Lep. It's those of us on their newer Everything plan that aren't able to tether anymore.
    09-28-09 10:09 AM
    Lost mine on the 24th when my month rolled over.
    09-29-09 04:08 AM
    Well, I've been using Tetherberry for the last few days and it's working good. It's faster then Smartview, and I don't think Sprint can cut it off. Smartview use to take forever load up. With Tetherberry, I just hit a button and go. I also just got a 50% off email, so I'll absolutely be picking this up for $25.

09-29-09 10:10 AM
    After several calls with Sprint, here's what I think is happening (or what THEY think is happening). Tethering is not supported anymore on any new plan. They don't want you to do it. Tethering gives you unlimited amounts of data, and Sprint told me the FCC wants them to stop that as it's eating up bandwidth (I know, blame the govt., but that's what he said). So, no more tethering for Anything plans. If you have an older plan and/or add-on that allows tethering, they are grandfathering your tethered access (so if you want to keep tethering, don't change plans!). I was able, last week, to tether in North Carolina where I work but not at home in Dallas. Whn I called to see if there was a problem, they said I got "lucky" to make it work in NC. And then a few hours later I get a message "your phone is registered on the Sprint network", even though I hadn't done anything. And voila, no more tethering in NC either!

So, if I was told correctly, those of you still able to tether are either (1) on an older plan, or (2) they just haven't gotten around to cutting you off yet!
    09-29-09 10:47 AM
    Sprint told me the FCC wants them to stop that as it's eating up bandwidth
    LOL where does Sprint come up with this BS?

The reason they are doing this is obvious. They f'd up and didn't have a way to block people from tethering w/o paying. They have now figured it out. They would rather have people pay for it so they are cutting off the loop we once used to tether.

Its a constant game of cat/mouse. Eventually another work around will emerge and Sprint will be back to the drawing board instead of being pro-active.
    09-29-09 11:18 AM
    Tetherberry is a cute little proxy that, at the discount price, is almost affordable.

Having written Java proxys for webservers, and socks clients for Windows, I'm half tempted to roll my own, and undercut them.
    09-29-09 11:41 AM
    Tetherberry is a cute little proxy that, at the discount price, is almost affordable.

Having written Java proxys for webservers, and socks clients for Windows, I'm half tempted to roll my own, and undercut them.
    I certainly would not complain if you did!! Let me know if you need an eager tester... :-)
    09-29-09 12:06 PM
    I do not think it is the Everything Data plans being blocked, I am thinking it is the SE plans.

While reading this thread a couple of minutes ago, I decided to see if my SE BB had been blocked..sure enough, it had. (My phone is through my work and it is a SE plan)

I asked the wife to borrow her BB right after that. She is on the Everything Data 450 plan.

Launched SV, hooked her BB up...bingo. I was able to tether again. Same location, same laptop, just different phones about 1 minute apart.
    09-29-09 03:50 PM
    After several calls with Sprint, here's what I think is happening (or what THEY think is happening). Tethering is not supported anymore on any new plan. They don't want you to do it. Tethering gives you unlimited amounts of data, and Sprint told me the FCC wants them to stop that as it's eating up bandwidth (I know, blame the govt., but that's what he said). So, no more tethering for Anything plans. If you have an older plan and/or add-on that allows tethering, they are grandfathering your tethered access (so if you want to keep tethering, don't change plans!). I was able, last week, to tether in North Carolina where I work but not at home in Dallas. Whn I called to see if there was a problem, they said I got "lucky" to make it work in NC. And then a few hours later I get a message "your phone is registered on the Sprint network", even though I hadn't done anything. And voila, no more tethering in NC either!

So, if I was told correctly, those of you still able to tether are either (1) on an older plan, or (2) they just haven't gotten around to cutting you off yet!

Of course tethering gives us unlimited amounts of data. If you are on an everything data plan your plan includes unlimited data, its right there in the name of your plan. If the FCC were really involved and saying that unlimited data eats up too much bandwidth, then they would ban unlimited data plans.

I call shenanigans on the explanation from Sprint.
    09-29-09 04:32 PM
    Sprint runs quite a racket. First they say you have unlimited data when you sign up, then they say oops read your contract, you are limited to 5 Gb a month. If you don't use your 5 Gb a month limit, they don't refund you or roll it over.

Anyway, yes they took away smartview and the dial up options. (If you still have it, it won't last long.)

Do this, get Tetherberry. There is a special through Crackberry's third party shopping cart Mobihand. $24.97 until Oct 2nd. (regular price $49.95)
    Tetherberry makes it seem as though you are using your own handsets data stream. Just make sure you don't exceed your 5 Gb monthly limit. If you want to watch streaming movies or download large files, use your home DSL or go to Coffee Bean.

Use coupon code tberry50 at CrackBerryAppStore.com
    Last edited by skd1970; 09-30-09 at 11:20 AM.
    09-29-09 04:46 PM
    I'm guessing this "poster" is very "happy" with tetherberry..since I have seen this exact same post in several other places in this board.

WTF?

We "get it"..the ones that need this program will "get it", no need to spam up the place

Sprint runs quite a racket. First they say you have unlimited data when you sign up, then they say oops read your contract, you are limited to 5 Gb a month. If you don't use your 5 Gb a month limit, they don't refund you or roll it over.
    09-29-09 06:32 PM
    WTF?
    I used to use smartview and dun. It got cut off. I posted in the three threads that complained about the same issue. It ain't spam, it's time sensitive information for those who need it. If you don't need it than move on...do you "get it"?
    Last edited by skd1970; 09-29-09 at 07:29 PM.
    09-29-09 07:21 PM
    I am glad you posted it skd, you saved me 25 bucks.
    09-29-09 07:38 PM
    This is mega BS. Im going to check my PAM with my Instinct. My wife's Tour seems to only work with Tetherberry but that app is $$$.

We need to find a way around this. I know by default my Instinct had PAM disabled. I needed to use CDMA workshop to enable something (NAI or something?). Maybe we need to take the same approach?
    Last edited by popokew; 09-30-09 at 02:00 AM.
    09-30-09 01:57 AM
    We need to find a way around this. I know by default my Instinct had PAM disabled. I needed to use CDMA workshop to enable something (NAI or something?). Maybe we need to take the same approach?
    I hacked my Instinct like that to be able to tether. I looked into whether I can do it with my Tour. It seems CDMA workshop doesn't support blackberries, and even if it did, I hear the specific address where the info is stored (to make the change) is unknown. After I found out that tidbit, I gave up considering doing the hack on my Tour.
    09-30-09 07:26 AM
    This is mega BS. Im going to check my PAM with my Instinct. My wife's Tour seems to only work with Tetherberry but that app is $$$.
    if you want its only $25 from now til friday.
    09-30-09 08:28 AM
    I've been trying Tetherberry the last few days, but it seems VERRY slow. When I could tether with Sprintview (last week), I was getting reasonable speed (500+kbps), better than the hotel's 300kbps. But I've tried Tetherberry twice in the last few days from different places, and I'm getting a whopping 40-50kbps! Has anyone else experienced this? I didn't see any settings to tweak.
    09-30-09 09:06 AM
    I'm guessing this "poster" is very "happy" with tetherberry..since I have seen this exact same post in several other places in this board.

WTF?

We "get it"..the ones that need this program will "get it", no need to spam up the place
    Actually, I am glad that he posted the information about Tetherberry, and that he later posted information about a recently announced 1/2 Off discount.

Many people have been cut off from PAM lately and knowing about Tetherberry and the discount is relevant to a lot of people. IMO they should stick this info in this forum for a while.
    09-30-09 09:26 AM
    I've been trying Tetherberry the last few days, but it seems VERRY slow. When I could tether with Sprintview (last week), I was getting reasonable speed (500+kbps), better than the hotel's 300kbps. But I've tried Tetherberry twice in the last few days from different places, and I'm getting a whopping 40-50kbps! Has anyone else experienced this? I didn't see any settings to tweak.
    I ran speed test a few times since getting tetherberry and I got the same speeds I used to get via PAM. I have a 8330 which is EVDO rev. 0. I got 335kbs download, and 100 kbs upload. This is about teh norm for EVDO rev. 0.
    09-30-09 09:40 AM
    Have you tried with #777
    09-30-09 09:42 AM
253 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD