Are we positive that Tetherberry will still work? I can't make it without tethering.
    It should work, it worked for my 8330 after all this started. They offer a 7 day free trial, head over to their website and check it out.
    09-25-09 01:41 AM
    Of all the people that have been cut-off, has anybody actually called Sprint or gone into a Sprint Store to find out why?
    09-25-09 08:30 AM
    Okay, just got the 7-day trial of Tetherberry and it's working great. I might end up just dropping the 50 bills on this so I can keep my tethering ability.

I haven't called or gone into a Sprint store because as far as their concerned, I'm not suppose to be able to tether my Tour anyway. It would be a little odd for me to complain about not being able to do something that I was never suppose to be doing in the first place.

Damn Sprint! At least they have good service and 'mostly' nice people.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 09:36 AM
    As was earlier discussed in this thread - on page 47 of the manual that came with my 8330m it talks about how do tether your BB. It even tells you to go to Sprint.com/download and download the Sprint SmartView software free of charge, nowhere does it mention that there are any additional charges. I dont understand why I should not be allowed to use my phone in a manner that is so openly discussed in the manual. I have an unlimited data plan - shouldn't I be able to use that data in any way my phone will allow me?
    09-25-09 09:47 AM
    Its based off permissions in the sprint servers. Phones to connects via PAM need to have the PAM username on thier phone ([email protected]). That username has to match what we have on our side for it even to connect properly. Unfortunatly the Simply everything does not and will not give the customer the PAM username access. There was a glitch that at one time had you had PAM plan the username still allowed you to connect but we are trending that down and thats why people are losing access while on the everything plan.

Here is the "Whats included" directly from the website. You can get here by clicking Sprint - Define Region then the blue link "More about what's included in this plan"

Simply Everything
    GPS: Unlimited maps, turn-by-turn directions and more with Sprint Navigation for Sprint and PowerSource phones, or TeleNav™ for Nextel phones. GPS reliability varies by environment.
    Sprint Mobile Email: Access multiple personal email accounts in a single application on featured phones. Providers include: AOL, Windows Live (including MSN/Hotmail), Yahoo! and Gmail.
    Sprint Mobile Email Work: Access to corporate email on feature phones (non PDA devices) through Outlook Web Access (OWA) or a desktop redirector. If your company uses Lotus Notes Domino, you can obtain access to that email on your phone through redirector software that can be downloaded and then direct mailed to your phone.
    Receive corporate email on Microsoft ExchangeSM 2000, 2003 and 2007 and on Lotus NotesSM Domino versions 6.0, 6.5 and 7.0 through a desktop redirector software.
    BlackBerry� Internet Service (BIS): Manage up to 10 different accounts with a simple three-click email setup, and IM on the go with Yahoo!� Messenger, AIM�, Google Talk and BlackBerry Messenger. Please note: BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), which provides secure corporate email access and access to corporate IT administration, is not included and available for an additional cost.
    Music Premier: Take your music with you and use your phone as an MP3 player and radio. Enjoy streaming radio channels, featured local radio stations from across the country and 99� wireless music downloads. For the full radio line-up, visit sprint.com/radio.
    TV Premier: Watch shows, sports, news, movies and more, choose from: exclusive content, short clips or full-length episodes. For the full line-up, visit sprint.com/tvguide.
    Messaging: Unlimited nationwide, text, picture and video messages to anyone on any network.
    Direct Connect� and Group Connect�: Unlimited instant connections, nationwide and at the push of a button. Group Connect is limited to 20 participants on the same network.
    Mobile to Mobile: Stnd. roaming rates/restrictions apply. Only available with select Sprint Plans and while on the Nationwide Sprint or Nextel National Networks (excludes calls to voicemail, 411, and other indirect methods).
    Phone as modem or tethering: not included.
    Corporate, government or special discounts: Do not apply.

So can we all stop QQing about being cut off from PAM while having the simply Everything plan.
    Last edited by githalantas; 09-25-09 at 10:01 AM.
    09-25-09 09:59 AM
    ^^ ok so just to be sure, its only happening to people with the simply everything plans?? I have sero was able to tether successfully yesterday via creating a DUN. Im still pretty new to this as i was an avid windows mobile user and didnt incur any extra charges with tethering, can anybody confirm for me that i wont be charged extra for doing this on the BB? thanks in advance
    09-25-09 10:28 AM
    Yeah, I knew PAM wasn't included when I bought my Tour. I even called Sprint and asked about adding it but I was told I couldn't. I think they said I might have been able to with a different Blackberry, but there was a $15 per month fee. I'm not complaining per se; I just thought that Sprint would allow us to tether as long as we didn't abuse the privilege. I tether my Tour everyday at work, but I never use up large amounts of data. Between all 3 lines on my account I don't think we've ever used a combined total of more than 400MB of data in any given month. 400MB out of an allowable 5GB! But I guess Sprint's gotta do what they gotta do. If that means I'll have to purchase Tetherberry, so be it.

09-25-09 10:29 AM
    I'm not sure what Tetherberry does that a simple DUN wouldn't do. Can't see spending $50 for something that takes 30 seconds to set up once and create a desktop shortcut for. I'll try it @ home tonight and if I can connect I'll write a short tutorial for creating a DUN.
    09-25-09 10:41 AM
    I've tried to create a DUN with my Tour but hasn't ever worked. Every time I try to connect I get an error message that says there was a device or modem failure. I wish I could just get a simple DUN to work.

09-25-09 10:44 AM
    That could explain why some people have been cutoff. On the Simply Everything Plan it specifically says that phone as modem or tethering is not included.

I am on a Family Talk Plan with my wife. She has the LG Rumor and I have the 8330m so I have the BlackBerry Personal Pack as an add-on to my line. I looked at what's included with that add-on and nowhere does it say that tethering is not inlcuded.
    09-25-09 10:50 AM
    this is the tutorial i followed to get the tethering to work on my tour using a DUN yesterday, hope this helps: my post count isnt up so just close the spaces and change dot to . of course lol

www dot berryosfiles dot com/downloads/BlackBerryTourPAMInstructions.pdf
    09-25-09 11:04 AM
    I've tried to create a DUN with my Tour but hasn't ever worked. Every time I try to connect I get an error message that says there was a device or modem failure. I wish I could just get a simple DUN to work.

when i first did it i got that error but i noticed that it wouldnt do it once i connected to Desktop manager
    09-25-09 11:06 AM
    09-25-09 11:20 AM
    For those of you who keep telling me it's working for you (or those for whom it isn't) -- do any of you have 'any mobile, any time' already active on your lines? My cycle changed the day before I noticed I couldn't tether.
    I bragged too soon about still being able to tether with SprintView...getting the dreaded error today. So glad we have this forum to find alternatives.

I know it's been said over & over again...why offer SprintView when you won't allow us to USE IT?!
    09-25-09 11:48 AM
    I might cancel my service because of this. I am still within my 30 days and not being able to tether for at least a few minutes is BS. With Tmo I didn't have that problem.
    09-26-09 08:12 AM
    That could explain why some people have been cutoff. On the Simply Everything Plan it specifically says that phone as modem or tethering is not included.

I am on a Family Talk Plan with my wife. She has the LG Rumor and I have the 8330m so I have the BlackBerry Personal Pack as an add-on to my line. I looked at what's included with that add-on and nowhere does it say that tethering is not inlcuded.
    Since my BlackBerry Personal Pack add-on doesn't say anything about tethering not being included, I wonder if I could cancel without an ETF. I havent been cut off of tethering yet but if I get cut off I wonder if that would be a "materially adverse change". Earlier this year when Sprint raised an admin fee to $0.99 they were letting people out of their contract without an etf.
    09-26-09 10:09 AM
    Since my BlackBerry Personal Pack add-on doesn't say anything about tethering not being included, I wonder if I could cancel without an ETF. I havent been cut off of tethering yet but if I get cut off I wonder if that would be a "materially adverse change". Earlier this year when Sprint raised an admin fee to $0.99 they were letting people out of their contract without an etf.
    You can't assume you get something if it's not stated. My plan doesn't say that free international texts are included. Free tethering is more of a glitch on their end. Just because you have been getting a $30 add-on for free, and now that they are cutting you off, doesn't mean it's a materially adverse change. They aren't forcing you to buy PAM service; it's your choice. Go ahead and cancel your contract. Let me know if any other carrier offers tethering for free.

09-26-09 11:13 AM
    Huh, this is weird. I can't figure out how this Tetherberry app works. I uninstalled SmartView from my laptop which seems to have taken away the Blackberry drivers I needed. Now, my phone isn't even showing up as a Standard Modem in my device hardware, but Tetherberry is still working! This program can't simply be creating a DUN connection because there isn't even a modem to connect to. How does this program work?

Last edited by Dsmithjr; 09-26-09 at 12:52 PM.
    09-26-09 12:39 PM
    I am sadly not with Sprint anymore (boy I sure do miss them, also does anyone know if the rumors are true about Sprint going bankrupt? I mean they just bought Nextel and they sponsor Nascar races...sure they are not that poor...?) Anyways back to original Question.....what the heck is PAM?
    09-26-09 02:29 PM
    I am sadly not with Sprint anymore (boy I sure do miss them, also does anyone know if the rumors are true about Sprint going bankrupt? I mean they just bought Nextel and they sponsor nascar races...sure they are not that poor...?) Anyways back to original Question.....what the heck is PAM?
    PAM=Phone As Modem
    Rumor of Sprint filing bankruptcy=RUMOR. From what I have read sprints debt is structured in a way that leaves them several years to become cash flow positive so bankruptcy now is very unlikely.

To those who wonder why your user manual instructs how to tether but not being allowed to use the feature I would say Sprint included those instructions for those who selected a plan that allowed tetherring. The fact that a majority of users are on a plan that does not allow tetherring (sep plans) doesn't eliminate the need to instruct those on a plan that does. I think making tetherring a buy up for those on sep plans is what Sprint should offer, especially with programs like tetherberry being available.
    09-26-09 06:30 PM
    Yea i believe that Sprint has cut off tethering with blackberries, it might be temporary or forever im not sure but with everyone i know that has used a blackberry to tether with sprint can no longer do it they keep getting error 678. That was the only thing keeping me with Sprint really, Iphone here i come.
    Yep! you got it right. I just spent over 30 minutes on the phone with Sprint and got all the way to the bigwig retention department since I am a new customer with the right to cancel. They will not give an inch. You can not tether and I asked them to address so folks will not be confused anymore, but who knows if they will.

Gang-Tether with the unlimited data plan is over. They have blocked TetherBerry too. Please call Sprint and request a reasonbly costed add on since they do not currently have one. Pleeeezzzz call them!!!
    09-26-09 09:54 PM
    I'm posting via DUN just set up with my Tour, everything family data plan with new mobile to mobile. I have always tethered (for short periods) my windows mobile phones and have been able to tether the BB since I got it in July. I tried Tetherberry and ironically I can't connect with that $25 down the drain, it worked once then never again.... As far as tethering goes I was happier with my HTC Diamond as it was just a PAN set up rather than dial up...
    09-27-09 12:22 AM
    I've been tethering my pearl on Sprint for almost a year now, but I can't seem to get it to work anymore. It worked fine a week or two ago, but now I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried on my wife's netbook (with Vista) and my desktop (with XP). My laptop (where I know it last worked) is in the shop, so I can't check it there. Anyone else having this problem?
    Sprint wants to us to change plans to voice with a data plan add on to be able to get this service. Don't do it. Even they can't recommend a workable solution.

Do this: Keep your current plan. Go to TetherBerry.com. Download their software to your MAC or PC. Download their softward to your BB device (don't follow their instructions as Sprint has blocked their download). On your BB, just go to tetherberry.com and request download to your device. Again, don't type in what TB tells you to. Just go directly to their site. You are all set.
    Last edited by llubke1; 09-27-09 at 12:31 AM. Reason: you have to pay tetherberry 49.99
    09-27-09 12:30 AM
    I tried SmartView as well DUN instructions with no luck. I'm posting this message using the trial version of Tetherberry. It seems to work. It may be worth the $50 if it's the only workable solution.
    09-27-09 08:00 AM
    I'm still tethering with Smartview right now.
    09-27-09 10:41 AM
253 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD