I have two questions, first When I got my phone (storm 1) I purchased an unlimited data. Is this data plan really unlimited, or is there a limit like say 5gb's, or something?

Second question is, if I start using tetherberry, and rack up some big bandwith will verizon flag me, or stick me with a horrendous bill?

so basically I couldnt get a straight answer from searching the forums, thank anyone for some information.

P.S. if anyone has gotten a large bill for teathering with a third party app please post here, I would like to hear about it.
    02-18-10 04:46 AM
    bump........................
    02-18-10 06:50 AM
    I would ask your question in the Verizon Carrier Forum for the best help.

Not being a VZW customer I can't say for sure. However, what I have seen posted here is that their unlimited is not. I think there is a 5 megabyte or gigabtye cap on usage after which you get nailed. Okay for browsing, etc. but probably not for long periods using Tether or multimedia.

Also, when Tether first came out, I recall people getting nailed for tethering over VZW, since tethering was not allowed (or you needed to buy additional services, I don't recall, but people were getting nailed for doing this, could have been the data usage all over again).

I think the bottom line for VZW is that if you are not abusing it they will let you pass, but if you're thing that Tether and your BB will replace your current ISP, that could be a problem.

P.S. Give it more than a couple of hours for a response before bumping.
    02-18-10 07:26 AM
    Yes there is a 5GB cap and yes they will bill you if you are going over that every month using tether.
    02-18-10 07:41 AM
    I'm going to move this thread to the Verizon Forum.

Technically Tetherberry use would be a violation of the Verizon Terms of Service and using it without a tethering plan (15 or 30 extra per month) could cause your contract to be canceled and may result in per MB charges. There are reports of BOTH people getting caught AND people using tetherberry WITHOUT being caught.

The 5 GB Limit only applies to tethering and that is generally only VZ AM tethering not Tetherberry which uses your regular data. HOWEVER there is language in the Verizon ToS which states that usage of more than 5 GBs of data per month may be considered a violation of the ToS, as excessive or abuse of bandwidth. I'm not sure of the actual wording. Going over the 5 GBs several times can cause Vzw to close your account.
    02-18-10 08:34 AM
    I have two questions, first When I got my phone (storm 1) I purchased an unlimited data. Is this data plan really unlimited, or is there a limit like say 5gb's, or something?

Second question is, if I start using tetherberry, and rack up some big bandwith will verizon flag me, or stick me with a horrendous bill?

so basically I couldnt get a straight answer from searching the forums, thank anyone for some information.

P.S. if anyone has gotten a large bill for teathering with a third party app please post here, I would like to hear about it.
    First question... your data plan is unlimited with your phone as a hand held device (no usb connected to your computer). The 5GB limit is only when you tether your device.

Second question... using tetherberry can and will leave you responsible for any charges you incur. It is a violation of the contract you signed when you purchased the phone or activated it with VZW. While you wouldn't per say be flagged VZW won't spare you anything for using this option. Sticking you with a horrendous bill isn't VZW's fault. It's something you used so technically you would be sticking yourself.

Also use the search and I am sure you can find a horror story of something thinking they got lucky by using Tetherberry!
    02-18-10 08:51 AM
    You are going to get all kinds of answers on this. The fact is, if you tether, you might get away with it, and you might not. But at $2/mb getting charged for going over, I dont know if I want to gamble that.

The thing on the unlimited term....I have talked to several verizon reps, store and on phone, and all have told me that it is unlimited data on a blackberry IF you are going thru your phone only, not tethering. Which is important, because with apps out there like sirius radio, that can use up a lot of data. I am already at 810,000KB of data used and that is from the sirius app. I am not tethering, I pay for internet at home, and use wifi at motels on the road, so there is not need for me to tether.

Has anyone been able to confirm this?
    02-18-10 08:52 AM
    I have thought about using teatherberry...but it's not worth the risk to me. Like a few people have said, it's a huge gamble.

There are people on the forums that will post..."I hate Verizon, I just got a bill for a thousand dollars for using teatherberry..." Well it is a violation of the TOS, so who's fault is it?

So if you decide to take the risk, just know Verizon won't say, oh we'll forgive you this one time. They'll charge you for every MB. With that in mind, good luck.
    02-18-10 08:56 AM
    You are going to get all kinds of answers on this. The fact is, if you tether, you might get away with it, and you might not. But at $2/mb getting charged for going over, I dont know if I want to gamble that.

The thing on the unlimited term....I have talked to several verizon reps, store and on phone, and all have told me that it is unlimited data on a blackberry IF you are going thru your phone only, not tethering. Which is important, because with apps out there like sirius radio, that can use up a lot of data. I am already at 810,000KB of data used and that is from the sirius app. I am not tethering, I pay for internet at home, and use wifi at motels on the road, so there is not need for me to tether.

Has anyone been able to confirm this?
    Only thing that can be confirmed is that it is a breach of contract. If you get caught or if you don't is clearly up to if the system detects it.

810,000KB isn't even 1GB of info... so that wouldn't even throw up a red flag in the system. However, when you start putting up 6-10GB a month it more than likely will. And from what I have confirmed with a few people within the company if you use data solely on your phone with no 3rd party tethering features added in you can't be charged an overage because there is NO overage rate listed.

However, when using a 3rd party tethering client you violate contract terms so technically VZW can charge you the farm!
    02-18-10 09:11 AM
    I have nothing of value to add. I'm going to just sit back and watch the madness.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 09:56 AM
    I have nothing of value to add. I'm going to just sit back and watch the madness.

Same here. All the threads about the issue turn into chaos on a stick.
    02-18-10 10:00 AM
    Same here. All the threads about the issue turn into chaos on a stick.
    Yup. To the OP, how did you not find a straight answer? Considering the question has been asked 40,000 times and has been answered 400,000 times. Tetherberry has caused problems for customers that abused it. Pay the extra 15-30 a month, stay within the 5gb cap and dont worry about any issues? That makes sense to me.
    02-18-10 01:29 PM
    First they should not call it unlimited. It's not...
    5 GB is hard to blow though on a handheld. I know.

I use Tether. I have for a while.
    I used to tether with my i760.
    I was never an abuser and used it when necessary.
    So I didn't/don't stream, etc.

Not an issue for me.
    For heavy users, pay the $30 or the per day charge.
    02-18-10 08:21 PM
    Basically, I already have broadband. Occasionally I go somewhere without broadband and would like to be able to atleast browse if not hook up the xbox, or play wow. anyway thanks for the opinions, ill let people know if vercryzon catches me.

P.S. sorry for posting the thread in the wrong forum, I just thought since my main question was one about a third party app it would fit better in the third party app forum. just made sense.
    02-18-10 10:20 PM

Not an issue for me.
    It is unlimited.

02-19-10 06:32 AM

Not an issue for me.
    5GB really isn't that much especially if you stream audio content for a few hours a day. And local data on the device is "unlimited" as long as verizon doesn't view the amount you're using as harming the network.
    02-19-10 07:20 AM
    I tether every day at work for 7 hours and don't use tether or any other tethering software. Setup a modem connection for the phone. Last month my data usage was 650 mb.

Granted I'm not on it constantly but it is attached and running the whole time and I just surf and 3 or 4 IM apps open. So if you do no more than surf and IM you won't come close to the 5 gb limits.
    02-19-10 07:56 AM
    I know people who use tether all over the world (international BB Data), and have had no issues with Verizon. I would not worry about it.
    02-19-10 09:03 PM
    Keep us posted because I used around 800mb via tether. Which was a week's worth of browsing. Let us know because I might be up the creek with you.

02-21-10 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD