01-21-10 06:23 AM
48 12
tools
    Euh sorry? We are the bigest dealer in estern canada, and I'm the one in this dealer who is respossible of all data program, I think I know what I'm talking about, and you who are you?

Canada : 3G+ couverture¬*|¬* 3G+¬*|¬* Couverture¬*|¬* Soutien¬*|¬* TELUS Mobilit√©

Canada : 3G couverture¬*|¬* 3G¬*|¬* Couverture¬*|¬* Soutien¬*|¬* TELUS Mobilit√©

SO OFFICIALLY: EVDO REV-A IS CALLED 3G, HSPA IS ALSO CALLED 3G, AND HSPA+ IS CALLED 3G+.

Those info come from an OFFICIAL telus bulletin released october 26 09.

Dont say I'm a dumb because those info are OFFICIAL
    Next Generation Wireless Network | TELUS

Please read that bulletin regarding HSPA. Please click on "The New Network."

---

" Canada's largest 3G+ network*

TELUS is committed to offering the best selection of wireless devices and service experience possible no matter what technology is running in the background. The new 3G+ network is based on the most advanced wireless technology available.

HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) is a family of mobile broadband technologies based on the GSM (Global System for Mobile communications) standard, comprising High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), High Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA) and HSPA+."

---

HSPA comprises of HSPA/HSPA+, which together, is a 3G+ technology. This is what I have been trying to explain to you all along. As I have stated many times before EVDO is 3G and anything HSPA related is 3G+. In addition, the coverage maps you have posted clearly indicates what I have said. The "3G+" coverage map shows HSPA/HSPA+ coverage. The "3G" coverage map shows EVDO coverage. Unfortunately, you have been clearly mistaken in your understanding of the new network.

Back on topic. The 8530 is a 3G device running on EVDO on the CDMA network.
    Last edited by ariescb; 01-16-10 at 07:29 PM.
    01-16-10 04:34 PM
    I know how unreliable some of the CSR & store employee information can be, so understand I'm only reporting what I was told. Anyway, I called today to ask about the 8530 & told the rep that I assumed Telus would have this soon since Bell already does. He checked and they have received promotional materials and the phone & accessories are in their computer. He didn't have a launch date, but figured it would be pretty soon given what he did know.

I'd prefer the Essex, but it may be months before Telus gets that & I've really been looking forward to upgrading my Curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 04:42 PM
    Im sure the phone will be launching in Feb. IMO, the Tour 2 or Essex won't be worth it when Telus eventually launches it. By then, the HSPA network will have more time to mature and kinks worked out. The new iPhone will be out, the Tour 2 has extremely dated hardware. The resale value of the Essex will be low too as Telus eventually phases out CDMA. Curve 2 will be cheap and will be the best alternative for now.
    01-18-10 11:24 PM
    The phone was lunched this morning. There is the final price

No contract : 349.99
    3yrs: 49.99

available in red or silver(exactly the same colors as the old one)

Sorry for the false info on this tread about the 8530 price and color, I just repeated what the Blackberry rep told to me...
    01-19-10 08:23 AM
    It's to bad Telus didn't get the black coloured one. It looks much better than the silver. Funny thing is that Bell shows their's as having black and purple colour choices where Telus has silver or red.

I'd be going to Bell if I had a choice and wanted an 8530.
    01-19-10 10:57 AM
    Does anyone know if a Bell 8530 would work on the Telus network?
    01-19-10 11:34 AM
    8530 is a CDMA device so it's locked to the carrier. So in short, no the Bell 8530 will not work on Telus.

The phone is out now!
    BlackBerry¬ģ Curve‚ĄĘ 8530 | 3G+ | Phones | TELUS Mobility

It's only out in silver and red. Anyone know if it is coming out in Black?
    01-19-10 12:25 PM
    According to my Telus Rep they will not be carrying the black version
    01-19-10 12:32 PM
    Darn, I wanted a black version and I'm sure there are many out there. I guess no one else carries silver and red so Telus just wants to be different.

Silver it is, sigh. And I wanted to buy an Otterbox case but they make them only in black so it will look ugly in the black case. Looks like I'll just end up getting a pouch or something.
    01-19-10 12:50 PM
    Darn, I wanted a black version and I'm sure there are many out there. I guess no one else carries silver and red so Telus just wants to be different.

Silver it is, sigh. And I wanted to buy an Otterbox case but they make them only in black so it will look ugly in the black case. Looks like I'll just end up getting a pouch or something.
    I'm in the same boat. I thought it would be a given that it comes in black. I'm wondering if I should just wait for the bloody Tour2!

Just a guess here, but business people prefer black, do you think Telus went with red and silver only to push more people to the Bold 9700?
    Last edited by DaveInVan; 01-19-10 at 02:41 PM.
    01-19-10 02:39 PM
    Very disappointing. I love the no contract price, but not loving the colours
    01-19-10 03:43 PM
    I agree. I'm hoping the silver & red look better in person than they do on the web site. That said, if they had released a black version too I think they would have satisfied everyone. Seems like the carriers try to get exclusive colours when they can't get exclusivity on handsets.

01-19-10 04:24 PM
    When I see the BB rep last week he had a black Telus branded one. hope it will be released in the next week.

He talked about a purple or pink one, but I think he was talking about the red.
    01-19-10 09:29 PM
    I hope that's the case. What a disaster telus is these days. This phone:

1. Should have been out before boxing day like bell

2. Should be available in black just like all the other carriers in NA.

I hope black comes next week or else I might just swith to Bell for the blakcberry 8530. Lol

01-19-10 11:23 PM
    I sent an email to them via the "contact us" link on the telusmobility site asking about the black 8530. This is what I asked: "I just noticed you list the new BB 8530, in silver or red. Will you also have it available in Black, like your competitor (Bell)? "

Tracey repied: "I am unable to verify if we will get the Blackberry 8530 in black. We do not find out about most hardware launches until the day they are released. You will need to check the website periodically."

Ugh!
    01-20-10 10:59 AM
    Are the phones in store yet? Anyone have one yet?
    01-20-10 01:29 PM
    Haha! My Telus rep stopped into a Bell store to see the black one in person. He agrees it looks much better than the silver. Unfortunately he can't do anything about it
    01-20-10 02:09 PM
    The phones should be available in store though quantites seem limited. My rep has only 2 available at this time.
    01-20-10 02:11 PM
    So are you getting a silver one? Jgodi03 said he/she talked to a RIM rep, and they had a black telus branded 8530. So we know it exists.
    01-20-10 02:11 PM
    No, I won't be getting one. I'm stuck with my Storm for a bit longer. Likely will go with the 9700 Bold next. The 8530 has a few other things I don't like. No world capabilities and the screen resolution is not as good as the 9700 either. I would have maybe gone for the Tour2 but Telus doesn't seem to be getting these either. Though that could change.
    01-20-10 02:27 PM
    Are the phones in store yet? Anyone have one yet?
    I'd prefer a black one, but since I'm not a slave to fashion I decided to go ahead and get the silver one. A few points: first, it looks A LOT better in person than on the web site. Second, this is so much better than my 8330 I'm utterly floored by it - all the usual reasons. I got the promotional pricing for a mid-contract renewal, which means I got the full subsidy & got to keep everything in my current plan! I don't think anyone upgrading from the 8330 to the 8530 will be disappointed.
    01-20-10 07:45 PM
    That's comforting, can you please post some pics? That would be awesome. And wallpapers etc etc. So you signed a 3 yr renewal for 150 off? I would have just bought the phone outright.
    Last edited by ariescb; 01-20-10 at 07:57 PM.
    01-20-10 07:49 PM
    That's comforting, can you please post some pics? That would be awesome. And wallpapers etc etc. So you signed a 3 yr renewal for 150 off? I would have just bought the phone outright.
    I don't know how to post any pics (sorry. The reason I didn't buy the phone outright is because I wanted to lock Telus into the current deal I have. My wife and I both have Share 25 plans, unlimited data, may favs 5 national, caller id, voicemail, 250 extra share minutes, 5 pm weekends & evenings & unlimited Telus to Telus calling - costs us $51/month each taxes & access fees, etc... all in. Also, I didn't have to sign on for another 3 years, all I had to do was extend my contract for 17 months, i.e., how far in I was when I re-signed. Doing it that way, I got a $200 subsidy on each phone, which then cost $149 each, i.e., the same cost as a new subscriber.

Anyway, I've been using the phone for a while now and I have to say it's a fantastic upgrade. Admittedly, it's not a high end Blackberry, but you wouldn't know it by using it. The processor is really quick (haven't seen any lag at all), OS 5 rocks, the camera though only 2 MP takes much better pictures than my 8330 (though I do miss the flash), browsing is a lot better (I'm thinking of giving up Opera!), call quality is excellent and the keyboard is a lot less "clacky" than my 8330's was - better than the reviews I read led me to believe.

Go to a Telus store and play with one for a few minutes & you'll see.

All the best!
    01-21-10 06:23 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD