I see that there are quite a few different threads regarding International Roaming with Telus. So I figured I would make a general thread and "cross your fingers" maybe everyone can comment in here...

Anyway, I do have a story to share.

I just came back from Vegas. I was told by a Telus Rep (and I know how reliable they can be haha) that you cannot use the SIM Card in North American since they do not want Telus phones to access to EDGE network. Obviously, CDMA is still popular in North American so anywhere in the States I should be able to get a EVDO signal. Seems to make sense, so I took it at face value.

After a day or so in Vegas, I had to do a bat pull on my Storm (I ****en hate this phone). After I accessed the network again...I saw that I'm running on the AT&T 3G Network. I had to double check and sure enough I accessed the 1900 mHz frequency.

I don't really have an end to this story, but bottom line is that I bought a "World Phone" for a damn reason. I want to use my E-Mail, BB Messneger and Apps wherever I go. I absolutely HATE that roaming charges are through the ****en roof, but that's the price you pay for conveince I guess. Either way, I'm sure my bill is going to be insane since I was e-mailing, texting and calling alot.....and apparently all on the EDGE network. haha
    04-26-09 06:19 PM
    How did you see what carrier you were on....I would have thought you'd be piggybacking Verizon's network or Sprint's not AT&T....
    04-26-09 06:29 PM
    How did you see what carrier you were on....I would have thought you'd be piggybacking Verizon's network or Sprint's not AT&T....
    I thought so too...which is why I was shocked when I seen AT&T on my display underneath the signal bars....When I went into "Manage Connections", I saw I was connected to EDGE.

After scanning the area for signals, I saw that I was connected to EDGE (1900 mHz), which is the 3G frequency I do believe.
    04-26-09 07:19 PM
    Hmm unbelievable....cause i'm down in california right now near palm springs and well basically I looked at verizon's coverage map in california and nevada since I plan on travelling out that way and they seemed to cover it...so that just puzzle's the **** outta me since i've only ever seen "roaming" under my manage connections...
    04-26-09 10:49 PM
    interesting indeed.

when i was in Vegas last week in manage connections it said "roaming profile" when i did a bat pull it actually said Verizon. kinda cool how you got onto the edge network.

but i called ahead of time for some roaming minutes and the women said to me i can get 32 minutes for $10 so i was like awesome i'll get that. I get to Vegas and talked to another guy from the group we went with and he said he got 96 minutes for $15. (also from telus) so i was like wow good deal. Also the deal was only limited to a certain date. april 16-20th for me

i come home check my bill and i see a charge of $80 for roaming package and another roaming package for 1 day after my bill cycle for $5. so i was pissed off and called Telus. the guy told me there is no such thing as $10 or $15 roaming packages. i called BS on him and said i am not paying $80. so he did end up crediting me $70. he said he has been working with telus for over 3 years and never seen a package like i was offered.

anyone else get a similar package to mine?
    04-27-09 07:38 PM
    I've never heard of a certain number of roaming minute package like you mention. I know telus has a US roaming package that you can add, but it is a monthly plan. You pay the $80 or whatever you were charged per month for a certain number of minutes. From what I was told, the plan must be added for a full month, no pro-rating.

Telus roaming rates are horrendous, its what happens when the US carriers aren't allowed into Canada. If we could get Verizon or someone up here then we could likely get North American plans fairly cheaply.
    04-28-09 09:13 PM
    Bro, I just got my phone unlocked from Cellunlock.net so far i've tested it on Fido, Rogers and it works amazing. Just unlock your phone and buy a prepaid sim and drop it in. Hope this info helps.
    Last edited by 2XPLICIT; 04-29-09 at 11:35 AM.
    04-29-09 11:26 AM
    Or you could be cool like me and carry around a vintage BB 7230 on T-Mobile, coupled with my Storm on Telus (with a Verizon backplate :P
    04-29-09 09:07 PM
    Bro, I just got my phone unlocked from Cellunlock.net so far i've tested it on Fido, Rogers and it works amazing. Just unlock your phone and buy a prepaid sim and drop it in. Hope this info helps.
    If you do this and get a prepaid sim is it only good for the area that you are in? or do you still get charged long distance if you call back to Canada.

I am trying to understand this as I will be traveling to the states for about a month this summer and need to know what to do as I cant live with out my phone. also how do you turn data off so I don't get raped for data roaming?

Please help
    04-30-09 08:34 AM
    If you do this and get a prepaid sim is it only good for the area that you are in? or do you still get charged long distance if you call back to Canada.

I am trying to understand this as I will be traveling to the states for about a month this summer and need to know what to do as I cant live with out my phone. also how do you turn data off so I don't get raped for data roaming?

Please help
    I believe the process is the same for turning off data on your phone as the storm...options, mobile network, set the data to off while roaming. The phone will then automatically stop the data connection when you are roaming.

I also went to gps options and set location aiding to off while roaming, I believe that also uses data.
    04-30-09 01:24 PM
    Ok, so I bit the bullet and bought an unlock code for my storm. It should be here on the weekend. I have the details on how to get the MSL code as well, so shouldn't have an issue unlocking.

Anyone else with an unlocked phone know the best sim card provider to get data and voice in the US?

I'm also wondering, if I use the MSL code to change the phone number to whatever the US number is, isn't that going to make it difficult to flip back and forth between the CDMA and GSM networks, will I have to enter my MSL code each time, or will the SIM card save the MSL code and do it automatically? Thanks for any info from those who have already done this.
    05-05-09 07:31 AM
    Okay, so this looks like it's probably a dead thread. However, I'm SERIOUSLY considering switching to Telus from Bell as they are offering a free BB Storm with new contract. With the newest firmware update, it looks like it would actually be a damn decent smart phone. That aside, my question is as follows:

I have an at&t phone with sim card set up for the states (aside from my Bell
    phone). If I were to unlock the BB from Telus and drop that sim in, what
    would happen? Would I lose my connection with Telus or would I be able to
    use both via a quick swap of the sim?

Any help with this would be awesome as it would be nice if I could use Telus for my local dealings and at&t for when I call/go to the states and only have to carry one phone. Is it possible?
    01-16-10 06:19 PM
    You'd have to switch technology from 1XEV to GSM if you wanted to use the AT&T sim card and they could not run in parallel, only one or the other. Used to do that with my T-Mobile number then I just decided it was prudent to just have my Storm for my Canadian number and another phone for my US number...

PLUS i had problems like my Storm throwing a SIM card error when I wasn't even using the SIM card slot and I had to battery pull to make it go away.
    01-16-10 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD