K so I was just talking with a girl about a phone she lost when she was really drunk and she told me her old TELUS phone had a sim card, did Telus switch to GSM without my knowledge? Somebody please enlighten me. I know she is high.
    09-01-08 01:59 AM
    well their MIKE division uses iden... and iden has sim cards.. but it snot the same as gsm though... MIKE is the telus version of NEXTEL(american)

Products and services / Mike - TELUS Mobility - Ontario
    09-01-08 04:28 AM
    No telus does not use Sim cards. Only the Mike network has the iden cards and the Blackberry 8830 (world phone) uses the global roaming card which is pretty much a SIM card slot.
    09-02-08 01:18 AM
    I bought my 8830 second hand and it didn't come with the SIM card. I had a store order it in for $20 and then called loyalty while in the store picking it up to complain, at which point they credited my account the 20 bucks. I don't think I'll ever use it though. Frankly, the roaming policy looks like pure evil.
    09-04-08 11:00 PM
    No telus does not use Sim cards. Only the Mike network has the iden cards and the Blackberry 8830 (world phone) uses the global roaming card which is pretty much a SIM card slot.
    the storm use a sim card too.

Telus will use sim cards on all the phone in around 1 or 2 years, when they'll be on the HSDPA technology...
    05-10-09 07:39 PM
    STORM has simcard slot and all the Mike Iden phones used simcards aswell...
    05-14-09 01:39 PM
    YES, all Telus 3G+ network phone uses sim card now. I mean ALL OF THEM. My buddy bought HTC HERO and my gf bought IPHONE, they all have to use sim card.
    12-13-09 04:53 PM
    2pacj, notice how old this thread is? TELUS only launched the HSDPA network (SIM cards) in November, this threads last post was on May 14th - when TELUS did not have SIM cards.
    12-13-09 05:50 PM
    Just like Bell Mobility, Telus most likely had SIM cards in the past, on a few BlackBerry phones that are designed as CDMA "global" phones, which means that they work on CDMA 800/1900 Mhz (in N.America) and can also be switched to work on GSM/GPRS 900/1800 MHz overseas.

Bell was selling those BlackBerries for over a year. The latest models to work this way are: BB 8830, BB 9530 Storm and BB 9630 Tour. The SIM card provided by Bell has all the information about its GSM roaming partners and allows the phone to be used in GSM 900/1800 MHz areas, which is pretty much everywhere except for a few South American countries that use US/Canadian GSM/GPRS band of 850/1900 MHz (just like Rogers, AT&T and T-Mobile).

In addition, BB 9530 Storm and BB 9630 Tour also work on WCDMA network in Japan, I'm not sure about the frequencies, they can be easily found on Google.
    Last edited by Kirkx; 12-14-09 at 06:49 PM.
    12-14-09 06:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD