Ok - co-worker just finished out his contract with Telus. He paid it out because he moved to an area with very poor Telus coverage and he wasn't crazy about the storm anyway. He has given it to me. It's a 9530.

That's all done and over with and the phone is no longer active on the Telus network.

I know I can get an unlock code (read all the info on that) - what I am uncertain about is once the phone is unlocked - will Bell activate it to run on their network yes or no? I have a Blackberry now (Curve 8330/CDMA) which I'd like to replace with his Storm.

I've read conflicting reports on this and need to know if anyone has done that. I don't care if it's CDMA on Bell or SIM on Bell ... but since they are now offering both ... surely they'll activate it on one of those services? Which one is the better choice given the phone model and Bell's "new network" ?

Anyone who knows the details love to hear from you.

K

PS> I'm not afraid to reload software from Bell onto the unit to enable all the correct features etc. But I don't want a phone that 'sorta' works.
    11-18-09 08:46 PM
    Don't think they activate it via ESN (CDMA) but the GSM portion will do just fine. As long as you add a data plan for BlackBerry everything will work the same.
    11-19-09 12:51 AM
    Ok - well how do you get around registering the blackberry at say "Bell.Blackberry.Net" where currently it says the phone info doesn't match the provider info -

ie: This phone doesn't go with that provider?

That seems like a real roadblock to me because Telus would have to release that phone PIN and IMEI before you could re-register it with RIM.
    11-19-09 11:26 AM
    Actually its the original owner/telus rep who would have to. After that's don't then its all easy sailing after that.
    11-19-09 12:08 PM
    Right well I have access to that account.. so just throw some other device in there? I have all kinds of spare BB's to throw at this..
    11-19-09 01:44 PM
    Exactly
    11-19-09 01:45 PM
    I would just like to publicly state that CarrierUnlock did this unlock job for me and I'm very pleased.

I had a non-data Rogers SIM to try it with after the unlock and it worked no problem make and receive calls and SMS.

We had to try a few codes (4) before we hit the one that did it - I was getting nervous a bit, but the guys at CU kept me calm and we had success!

Thanks again guys - great work and excellent customer service.

K
    11-19-09 08:04 PM
    Well, I've got the phone so it works fine on Rogers.

But I can't get the CDMA side to reconnize Bell. Only Telus. With a Bell SIM inserted, it finds the Bell Network but basically only in SOS mode.

I have QPST and can program it but don't know what changes to make ..

Knox
    11-20-09 11:29 AM
    Try changing the network to 2G
    11-20-09 11:33 AM
    Same results. Finds Bell but only in SOS mode. Valid Bell SIM inserted.
    11-20-09 12:51 PM
    Bell may not support the frequencies.
    11-20-09 12:54 PM
    Bell may not support the frequencies.
    Thats my guess.. either that or Telus has intentionally 'shut off' those frequencies in the programming of the phone. I'm gonna have a look at that tonight with QPST.
    11-20-09 01:09 PM
    For those what might care...

Using the #4357* trick, I was able to ascertain that it still had the Telus PRL loaded.

Using QPST, I loaded the latest Bell Preferred Roaming List (31402) and now I can successfully reach Bell customer service and so forth using the phone.

Ta. Da.

The phone would work just fine on Bell if they would activate the phone.

They will not. It's a perfectly legit phone that had the contract paid out and so forth.

Regardless, it works great on Rogers.

Knox
    11-24-09 07:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD