It's half and half.

The parents should be 100% responsible for the kids.

The intent of all overusage charges is really to entice customers into buying a higher fixed usage plan. As such they don't turn off usage automatically after the limit is reached.

I think Verizon should re-bill them for the most expensive unlimited voice/data/text plan avialable, backcharge to the start of the contract and through the contract. Had they had subscribed to all unlimited plan, there wouldn't be over usage.

Also the kid needs to be taught by agreeing to volunteer at the local soup kitchen, animal shelter, Salvation Army for the holiday season.
    Last edited by leskchan; 12-12-09 at 04:19 PM.
    12-12-09 09:17 AM
    I still find it humorous. The fact that the father is unemployed has nothing at all to do with this.
    Me too! I'm unemployed so I need to get my 13 year old brat a cell so he can impress his friends. No sympathy here. When I lost my job I was looking for ways to cut expenses, not increase them. This guy is an *****.
    12-12-09 10:04 AM
    That is serious...now I know my son will not be getting a phone until he is at least 17. But I must say that racking up $22,000 in charges is pretty impressive haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Wait until he's 18 and can be held individually, legally responsible for his charges
    12-12-09 10:45 AM
    Wow - wonder if this kid got something like tetherberry for his phone. Did not say type of phone was used that I saw.

All I can say is tetherberry user beware.

Lastraid in jamaica. Soon to be in panama

12-12-09 03:25 PM
    wow 21k, my data once went to 1k and i was omg, but it was part of my plan so i didn't have to pay anything, and i only have an IM+email plan.
    12-12-09 03:31 PM
    well, he did ask to block data usage, idk sounds like Verizon's fault to me

either way, I would wear his *** out and circumcise him with a box cutter if I had to pay that

haha, kidding about that last part
    12-12-09 04:12 PM
    thats crazy. i cannot imaging how frusterated i would be if that was my bill.
    12-12-09 04:31 PM
    thats crazy. i cannot imaging how frusterated i would be if that was my bill.
    Frustrated? I'd be steaming freaking mad. At my son. And at myself for being braindead enough to get a 13 year old a smartphone.
    12-12-09 04:46 PM
    I really dont think VZW should be cutting down that bill... Sure it was an accident, but still... I dont get why it is bad PR. Ok well I do, but it shouldn't be! They signed a contract, they agreed to the terms, they should have to pay for it! or better yet, I would tell them they can either pay the $21K, or pay an ETF and cancel their contract. Or, waive the fees and cancel their contract anyway. That is a loss for VZW....

They dont HAVE to reduce anything... Why is it that no one will take responsibility for what they do...
    Are you insane?! Seriously get off your soap box! Right, let that poor family that's struggling financially (father being unemployed) pay. What if paying that bill would put that family on the street?? For an accident? You are completely ridiculous.

VZW will credit the acct and put the family in the correct plan.

Last edited by OldChristine; 12-12-09 at 05:44 PM.
    12-12-09 05:38 PM
    Are you insane?! Seriously get off your soap box! Right, let that poor family that's struggling financially (father being unemployed) pay. What if paying that bill would put that family on the street?? For an accident? You are completely ridiculous.

VZW will credit the acct and put the family in the correct plan.

If that puts him over the edge it is of his own doing. The kid didn't need a cell and the guy either didn't set down the rules for the brat or the brat didn't follow the rules and the dad should have known.
    I do, however, believe that VZW will step up.
    Moral of the story is don't buy your kid something that they don't NEED if you're unemployed.
    12-12-09 07:18 PM
    If that puts him over the edge it is of his own doing. The kid didn't need a cell and the guy either didn't set down the rules for the brat or the brat didn't follow the rules and the dad should have known.
    I do, however, believe that VZW will step up.
    Moral of the story is don't buy your kid something that they don't NEED if you're unemployed.
    Who says he was unemployed when he bought it? You don't know he didn't need it... Also you don't know the child is a "brat" put yourself in their shoes, and don't be so quick to judge.

12-12-09 07:27 PM
    Wow, I stumbled across the soapbox thread full of the perfect people. You're all so eager to protect the poor corporate giant who devised a system to suggest that internet use on a phone in any amount could ever be worth $21,000 over the course of 4 weeks. But by all means let's throw a family out on the street to "teach em a lesson." Unreal.
    12-12-09 07:44 PM
    Wow, I stumbled across the soapbox thread full of the perfect people. You're all so eager to protect the poor corporate giant who devised a system to suggest that internet use on a phone in any amount could ever be worth $21,000 over the course of 4 weeks. But by all means let's throw a family out on the street to "teach em a lesson." Unreal.
    Agreed!

12-12-09 07:49 PM
    Verizon should and most likley will step up...and you know they will make sure the media knows it. They will spin it as a holiday gift or something , BTW didnt the father ask for them to restrict the phone..
    12-12-09 08:18 PM
    IF the father DID ask Verizon to restrict the line, and Verizon did NOT do so accordingly, then that would be Verizon's fault, and they would be expected to waive the extra charges.

If the father did NOT tell them to restrict the line, then it is in NO way Verizon's fault. Anyone can say that they told Verizon to do something. Whether or not they actually did, is the question.

If someone like say Ford (since I know they use VZW) were to go $200,000 over their limit, everyone would be telling Ford to pay it and that VZW shouldnt do a damn thing. Whats the difference? just because Ford has more money, they should get treated differently? I dont think so... I know that they do actually get treated differently, but they shouldn't. That just goes to show what a materialistic world we live in...
    12-12-09 09:14 PM
    Maybe the father needs to switch to MetroPCS or Sprint, just an idea.
    12-12-09 09:53 PM
    i would kill my kid if they racked up a phone bill like that!!!
    12-12-09 10:00 PM
    Verizon will work something out for the customer. A similar thing happened to my coworker, and Verizon ended up retro acting a data plan and then waving 7000 dollars of data charges. The situation was VERY similar. She had to, and continues to pay for unlimited data (and they back charged it a month too), but they waved most of the huge bill. Her son got a Moto Q, and did not realize (or lied to her) about the data use.
    12-12-09 10:06 PM
    Verizon will work something out for the customer. A similar thing happened to my coworker, and Verizon ended up retro acting a data plan and then waving 7000 dollars of data charges. The situation was VERY similar. She had to, and continues to pay for unlimited data (and they back charged it a month too), but they waved most of the huge bill. Her son got a Moto Q, and did not realize (or lied to her) about the data use.
    That happens a lot. Especially on the old devices that do not require a data plan.....see people, that's why it's needed.
    12-12-09 10:20 PM
    The dad asked for a a block on everything except voice and text.
    Verizon could have done that.
    Verizon now has a policy that all devices that meet a certain class need a data plan.
    Crap to extract money. They can block data on any device they chose.

They need to fix it and they also need to stop with the ridiculous policy of data plan and not letting people block data.
    12-12-09 10:28 PM
    The dad asked for a a block on everything except voice and text.
    Verizon could have done that.
    Verizon now has a policy that all devices that meet a certain class need a data plan.
    Crap to extract money. They can block data on any device they chose.

They need to fix it and they also need to stop with the ridiculous policy of data plan and not letting people block data.
    Then why get a phone that uses data? It's not crap either because no one makes you get the device or the service. Surprise, people actually apply for it, request it, demand it.

There is blocks for data, but then people get mad because that block stops them from getting pictures, then want the block removed, then get mad again about data. Well, they had the option. I believe VZW will help this customer, as they do help most. People just need to learn to be responsible......maybe require a license to get a phone......but then look at some of the geniuses behind the wheel........hmmm what to do.
    12-12-09 10:35 PM
    I could care less about the unemployed dad or the rotten little kid. I am curious however -
    10.5 GB = ~$20,000

is that math correct? or is something left out of this story. I've no idea about Vzw's data pricing.
    12-12-09 10:42 PM
    I could care less about the unemployed dad or the rotten little kid. I am curious however -
    10.5 GB = ~$20,000

is that math correct? or is something left out of this story. I've no idea about Vzw's data pricing.
    The per kb charges ARE outrageous, that's why they have the unlimited plans.
    12-12-09 10:56 PM
    Who says he was unemployed when he bought it? You don't know he didn't need it... Also you don't know the child is a "brat" put yourself in their shoes, and don't be so quick to judge.

Well, the show says the father is "recently unemployed" and then it show the bill is for a period ending Dec 8, 2009 and I was making an assumption that the kid ran up the charges the first month he had the phone. I don't beleive that he cruise along at $50/month for a period before Now-Dec. No kid "needs" a cell. There are many people who didn't have a cell when they were 13. A lot of us didn't even know what a cell phone was when we were 13 - they hadn't been developed.
    12-12-09 11:40 PM
    They were around back then but they came built in to cars or in big bags. Costs thousands too. My dad had one of those bag phones back in the day.

12-13-09 12:00 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD