Ok so I have had at&t for 8 years and I am wanting to switch to verizon. I don't know much about there network at all to be honest. Like att can you talk and surf the web simultaneously on verizon? If yes I am wanting the droid lol. What does everyone think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Tennispro4ever; 11-22-09 at 09:08 PM.
    11-22-09 04:32 PM
    Right now this cannot be done, The droid has wi-fi, so if you are attached to that and want to make a call it will work. Once LTE flies, then this can be done.
    11-22-09 04:33 PM
    So why doesn't verizons 3g work the same as att? Doesn't 3g mean where the voice and data can be used at the same time?

11-22-09 05:39 PM
    So why doesn't verizons 3g work the same as att? Doesn't 3g mean where the voice and data can be used at the same time?

Not all the same - Has to do with how GSM works vs CDMA. Now I am far from an expert on either technology, but there is a user that is and I hope he may come along and respond to this. His user name is Twins as we call him. He is best suited to answer this.
    11-22-09 05:59 PM
    Not all the same - Has to do with how GSM works vs CDMA. Now I am far from an expert on either technology, but there is a user that is and I hope he may come along and respond to this. His user name is Twins as we call him. He is best suited to answer this.
    I don't really use the dual voice\data unless I'm talking on speakerphone while looking something up on the web. Is this a really big downer or not?

11-22-09 07:26 PM
    Depends on your needs. This is a personal thing. If I am on the phone - I am talking to the person not playng on the net. Of course if you are required to look something up, it could be a pain.
    11-22-09 07:30 PM
    Depends on your needs. This is a personal thing. If I am on the phone - I am talking to the person not playng on the net. Of course if you are required to look something up, it could be a pain.
    Ha ha lol. Ya good point. Now my next dilema is which phone to get. It seems like verizon has a good selection of phones. I have always been a bb user for a year or so. I love them but seems when it comes to media I am just too limited. So I'm looking for a good smartphone to use. Maybe the motorola droid. Idk yet. Need all the info I can get.

11-22-09 07:50 PM
    Ha ha lol. Ya good point. Now my next dilema is which phone to get. It seems like verizon has a good selection of phones. I have always been a bb user for a year or so. I love them but seems when it comes to media I am just too limited. So I'm looking for a good smartphone to use. Maybe the motorola droid. Idk yet. Need all the info I can get.

Good luck on your choice.

www.vzw.com/droid Check it out
    11-22-09 08:08 PM
    Good luck on your choice.

www.vzw.com/droid Check it out
    Is the droid really worth it? I'm just really wondering if I really need a smartphone? I use the web a lot (use opera mini). Messaging. Sending pictures and ring tones. I like using pandora. Slacker and more. But is the data plan really worth it?

11-22-09 08:21 PM
    Is the droid really worth it? I'm just really wondering if I really need a smartphone? I use the web a lot (use opera mini). Messaging. Sending pictures and ring tones. I like using pandora. Slacker and more. But is the data plan really worth it?

IF you are doing that much data yes.

If you like the apps thing the droid is better than BB.

if you like email- BB is better.

Browsers - BB gets the job done, but the droids speed of browsing is way faster.

bottomline, goto the VZW sore and use bother devices and see which is better for you
    Last edited by lastraid; 11-22-09 at 09:37 PM.
    11-22-09 08:31 PM
    Ok. I am also reading that the droid has multi-tasking just like the blackberry. If true. That's one thing I hated about the iphone (unless jailbroken of course)

11-22-09 08:56 PM
    I could be wrong, but I believe he said something to the effect that the required hardware on the phone's side would be too expensive for the average consumer.

For what it's worth though, when I'm on the phone, it's kinda up by my ear, so not being able to browse and talk at the same time doesn't really mean much to me.

(Yes, droid multitasks.)
    11-22-09 09:10 PM
    I could be wrong, but I believe he said something to the effect that the required hardware on the phone's side would be too expensive for the average consumer.

For what it's worth though, when I'm on the phone, it's kinda up by my ear, so not being able to browse and talk at the same time doesn't really mean much to me.

(Yes, droid multitasks.)
    Do you have a droid? Is yes. Do you like it? What are the pros and cons of it?

11-22-09 09:36 PM
    No. I'm waiting on Omnia 2. Do I like it? Yes. Motorola's needed a solid PDA for a long time now.

Pros: Good processor, open development, multitasking.

Cons: I've received complaints of "fat finger syndrome".

"Working as Intended": I imagine putting a contact as a link on your main screen makes interesting scenarios for pocket calls. Why harass random people when you can harass somebody specific?
    11-22-09 10:08 PM
    There's a map for that
    11-23-09 07:44 AM
    There's a map for that
    Is verizon worth it compared to att? How is there coverage and customer service?

11-23-09 12:18 PM
    Is verizon worth it compared to att? How is there coverage and customer service?

You'll hear that their coverage is the best despite what Luke Wilson wishes you to believe. Customer service is up and down, some love some hate.
    11-23-09 12:24 PM
    You'll hear that their coverage is the best despite what Luke Wilson wishes you to believe. Customer service is up and down, some love some hate.
    Ha ha. Well that makes sense. But should I switch to verizon? Is it really worth it as opposed to sticking with att?

11-23-09 02:29 PM
    Ha ha. Well that makes sense. But should I switch to verizon? Is it really worth it as opposed to sticking with att?

To be honest its totally up to you, most reps eat/sleep/breathe vzw but if your carrier sprint/tmo/att is good then why switch? But if you(like most with att) are having issues with coverage/speeds then I recommend trying vzw for the 30 days. If it turns out to be good then keep it if not return it.
    11-23-09 02:35 PM
    To be honest its totally up to you, most reps eat/sleep/breathe vzw but if your carrier sprint/tmo/att is good then why switch? But if you(like most with att) are having issues with coverage/speeds then I recommend trying vzw for the 30 days. If it turns out to be good then keep it if not return it.
    That's some good info. For the most part I am happy with att but I know with my bb streaming video seems to be a problem unless I'm using low quality youtube. Is this an att issue or because bb go through bb servers?

11-23-09 03:17 PM
    Its a BlackBerry thing. And btw, there's really no comparison on the web browser, the browser on the Droid blows BBs away.

11-23-09 04:33 PM
    Its a BlackBerry thing. And btw, there's really no comparison on the web browser, the browser on the Droid blows BBs away.

Ok. Well I did some research and it looks like for me and my wife it will be the same as If we stayed for at&t. We would both have 700 anytime shared minutes. Unlimited messaging. Unlimited data unlimited nights and weekends. So it would be 129.99. She would have a dumb phone and I would have a smartphone

Edit: the only thing stopping me Is the etf. Should I do it?
    Last edited by Tennispro4ever; 11-23-09 at 07:00 PM.
    11-23-09 06:29 PM
    Anyone lol. I need to decide pretty quick. I have a lot of people who are interested in buying my bold 9000 on att. I need to know before I make a decision.

11-24-09 11:49 AM
    Do it.

11-24-09 11:14 PM
    AGREE. The network alone is a great reason to switch. You will see a huge difference
    11-25-09 05:48 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD