I posted this on the Verizon board as well...I hope that's not a no no, but I'm getting little response and hope someone can answer my questions.

In reading about EV-DO vs. GSM/EDGE it appears that EV-DO is, on average, about 5 times faster in data transfer than GSM/EDGE. Can anyone relate any real time experience to this information? Has anyone moved from Verizon to AT&T or in reverse and can speak to the differences?

I use my 8830 for Web browsing quite a bit, but I'm tired of the unfulfilled promises to resolve the ringtone volume issue and hate the keyboard size and difficulty in seeing the keys in low light, so am considering moving to the Curve.

I am not one to tear apart my BB and put a new keyboard in and don't want to mess around with increasing the gain on MP3 files.

I've done some random tests of the 8830 vs. the 8310 Curve on AT&T and the Curve on AT&T appears to be slower. Any experience out there? Should I be concerned about this, or not?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    01-16-08 03:40 PM
    Yes, there is a difference. You already know the answer.
    01-16-08 03:43 PM
    Yes, there is a difference. You already know the answer.
    My question is can and will anyone relate the data regarding the speed difference to any real time experience? Is there anyone who has made a switch from Verizon to AT&T and has been frustrated or realized any issues relative to the difference in speed?
    01-16-08 03:47 PM
    EVDO is 400-700kb a second. Edge is only maybe twice the speed of dial up. You will see a differnce.. I don't do a whole lot of web browsing so it really doesn't bother me. I use the blackberry broswer and opera mini and most full html pages in opera only take a few seconds to load on my curve. The blackberry browser is slower I have found to load full HTML because opera loads it all but zoomed at and then you zoom in. I have both a Verizon and AT&T phone and I'm not frustrated at all using my curve.
    01-18-08 03:11 PM
    I switched from Verizon to AT&T, and there is a noticeable difference in speed. Also, I find that the data times out quite a bit. I am not a heavy internet user on the BB so it does not bother me that much. It does become frustrating when downloading a fairly large attachement, or doing OTA application downloads. That's where you see the big difference.
    01-25-08 08:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD