I'm moving to another country for a year. Was talking to customer service about switching to an international plan. I asked them to unlock my Passport and my wife's S4 so we can use local sims. The agent put in a service request describing my situation. About an hour later I received an unlock code for the Passport but not for the S4. I got the Passport on contract and I've had it 7 weeks. The S4 16 months and they denied it stating the phone was still under contract.

Do they value an old Samsung S4 more than a new BlackBerry Passport?

The second strange thing is the instructions they gave me for the Passport which are wrong:

1. Insert an AT&T SIM card.
    2. Power the phone on and turn off the radio (turn the Wireless option Off).
    3. Select Options > Advanced Options.
    4. Scroll down and select SIM Card.
    5. Type MEPD.
    6. Type MEP2.
    7. Enter the unlock code.
    8. Press Enter.
    9. Reboot the device. The device is now unlocked.

What device could these instructions be for? Is not for the S4 either.
    04-08-15 04:20 PM
    What device could these instructions be for? Is not for the S4 either.
    They're generic BBOS unlock procedures instead of BB10.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    04-09-15 12:03 AM
    They're generic BBOS unlock procedures instead of BB10.
    Interesting. Earlier that day, I requested my paid for Z10 to be unlocked through the att.com/deviceunlock page. It gave me the correct instructions for a BB10.

Probably the Passport hasn't been in their system long enough for someone to update the message they send.
    04-09-15 09:05 AM
    About an hour later I received an unlock code for the Passport but not for the S4. I got the Passport on contract and I've had it 7 weeks. The S4 16 months and they denied it stating the phone was still under contract.

Do they value an old Samsung S4 more than a new BlackBerry Passport?
    According to AT&T, they do not give unlock codes unless you've fulfilled your contract obligations. Sounds like they gave you the Passport unlock code in error so consider yourself lucky:

�All the device�s service commitments and installment plans are completed, and all early termination fees are paid in full.
    Source: AT&T
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    04-09-15 09:17 AM
    According to AT&T, they do not give unlock codes unless you've fulfilled your contract obligations. Sounds like they gave you the Passport unlock code in error so consider yourself lucky:

Source: AT&T
    Yes, that's why I thought it was strange. I did consider they made a mistake because of the instructions. As soon as I got the message, I thought no way? I unlocked it immediately.
    04-09-15 10:13 AM