Am I crazy or does at&t charge a subsidy fee for each line that is still on contract? I spoke with them and they have no clue what I am talking about. Someone please explain

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-27-15 08:37 AM
    What? They expect you to pay for the phone? Shocked.
    01-27-15 08:45 AM
    Carriers generally state that the purpose of buying a phone on contract is to spread out the cost of the device over the life of your contract so you don't pay the full cost of the phone up front. This is known as subsidizing the phone purchase.

You don't expect to pay a premium because of the subsidy each month?

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:19 AM
    So in other words the bill will be lower after the contract is over

01-27-15 04:08 PM
    So in other words the bill will be lower after the contract is over

Yep. Of course you still have to pay whatever the access fee would be. But yes. It would be a lesser amount than when you're on contract. The lesser amount will be the same as if you brought an unlocked device over to AT&T for service since you would not have to sign up for a two year contract. You'd pay the monthly price of the service plus the device access charge in order to utilize that service.
    01-27-15 04:22 PM
    Yep. Of course you still have to pay whatever the access fee would be. But yes. It would be a lesser amount than when you're on contract. The lesser amount will be the same as if you brought an unlocked device over to AT&T for service since you would not have to sign up for a two year contract. You'd pay the monthly price of the service plus the device access charge in order to utilize that service.
    Great. Thanks for the info but funny thing is at&t has no clue what i am talking about

01-27-15 05:03 PM
    Great. Thanks for the info but funny thing is at&t has no clue what i am talking about

Yeah, the reps tend to be a little useless when it comes to the biggest part of their job smh. I've put together plan comparisons for many friends because the reps weren't explaining things clearly or properly.
    01-27-15 05:16 PM
    Yeah, the reps tend to be a little useless when it comes to the biggest part of their job smh. I've put together plan comparisons for many friends because the reps weren't explaining things clearly or properly.
    So do you think the charge comes off automatically or do I have to call?

01-27-15 05:23 PM

You may have to call to adjust your plan.

The way AT&T sets up things with those on contract is to increase the overall plan amount. For the Unlimited Talk&Text w/ 3 gb data, the overall plan is $60 per month for off-contract customers whereas it is $80 per month for those who opt for the contract. It may just be a matter of calling to tell them you are no longer on contract and wish to take advantage of the savings.

There is another point that may also be important to consider. If you have more than one line on the account, for each line that is off contract, you receive a discount on the access fee charge. The discount tier is determined by the data plan you choose. For example, smartphone lines generally have a $40 access fee charge. If a customer has the 3gb data plan, the discount for each off contract smartphones' access fee charge is $15, which means the access fee charge is $25. However, for those phones under the account that are on contract, you will not receive a discount and the access charge remains at $40 for each of those lines.

So the price decrease for off contract devices can be reflected in both the overall price of the plan and the access fee charge depending on how many devices you have on your account.
    01-27-15 09:33 PM

If your on the new mobile share value plan it's automatic.
    01-28-15 10:50 AM