12-05-09 04:27 PM
29 12
tools
    Hi,

Thinking about switching to att because now i get a corporate discount on bold 9700 and service. im in the chicago area and people i talk with say its all good. how is the rest of the country???

please when you answer put the general location of where you are.
    11-25-09 11:45 AM
    Tampa bay and central Florida all good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 11:50 AM
    Southeastern PA and northern DE. Almost all good. Very few dropped calls and 3G most everywhere around my home and office. Inside the office drops the fine connection but we have a steel construction building.
    11-25-09 11:59 AM
    Lived in Cincy and had great coverage. Moved to western Maryland and have many issues with dropped calls (used to be CellularOne territory). Travelling to Maine service along the interstate was ok, but I had to buy a Verizon and net10 prepaid to have cell coverage. If Verizon was here in western MD I would dump att like third period french

11-25-09 01:00 PM
    I am in Little Rock, Arkansas and I have been all over the state camping and stuff, Verizon/Alltel murders them, its not even a competition, their coverage map for this area is one big lie, their 3G fails even downtown.

I have been all the way to San Antonio, TX as well and to Okeechobee, FL, with an AT&T phone and Alltel Aircard, I am sorry, but Veirzon is the better carrier for coverage, hands down.

Sprint is ok too.
    11-25-09 01:14 PM
    AT&T seems to be decent in major cities, but once you go to somewhere kinda rural or on highways, they fail.
    11-25-09 01:18 PM
    I live close to Evansville, IN and the coverage here is pretty solid. Out in the rural areas the 3G service can be spotty, but I still get 3G nevertheless.
    11-25-09 01:36 PM
    Raleigh/Durham NC is pretty good overall even with 3G, but I think Verizon has the best coverage in the area
    11-25-09 02:39 PM
    From what I have heard they are good in Philly. Briefly I had a work BB (7290 & 8700) on att and they were good although not as good as Verizon. Verizon in Philly is rock solid. On att I had occasional dropped calls.

11-25-09 02:44 PM
    Not an Alltel or Veizon customer like some of the above, but AT&t is solid in my areas of SC and NC. Just traveled from SC to MN and had solid coverage all the way. Unless there are plans to move Cicago to Tumbleweed, Az. you should be OK.
    11-25-09 05:06 PM
    AT&T seems to be decent in major cities, but once you go to somewhere kinda rural or on highways, they fail.
    I live in a rural area and camp in rural areas throughout LA and MS. I get great coverage. I tried Verizon and their coverage was terrible out here although their maps showed otherwise. ATT beat them hands down out here and in the woods in MS. Publishing a map covered in red and actually providing coverage are two different things.
    11-29-09 05:31 PM
    I'm in Winston Salem, NC and currently have Verizon. It works great pretty much everywhere except where I live. Never had a problem with Sprint coverage but I hate their service (personal issue with multiple problems over the years). I am considering trying AT&T if the phone will work at my house. Anybody near Winston Salem, Greensboro, Charlotte area have any opinions on AT&T??
    11-30-09 08:09 PM
    i was a Verizon customer and dropped them to go with at&t. Dallas and Fort Worth seems to have a lot better coverage then some of the other carriers. ive only had them for a short time.

i could be sitting in my office and my verizon would lose signal. at&t has full signal and i havent had a dropped call from them yet.
    11-30-09 08:36 PM
    I'm in Winston Salem, NC and currently have Verizon. It works great pretty much everywhere except where I live. Never had a problem with Sprint coverage but I hate their service (personal issue with multiple problems over the years). I am considering trying AT&T if the phone will work at my house. Anybody near Winston Salem, Greensboro, Charlotte area have any opinions on AT&T??
    I live near Charlotte and go to school in Durham. Both areas have been fine with AT&T. I've never dropped a call in North Charlotte and drop one maybe once a month if that in Raleigh/Durham. Speeds are excellent, quality is good, and I get coverage pretty much everywhere. Verizon and AT&T are usually the best in this area.
    11-30-09 10:13 PM
    Thanks, that is what I want to hear. I just ordered a Bold 9700 and I'm hoping that ATT will be good service here.
    11-30-09 10:30 PM
    Thanks, that is what I want to hear. I just ordered a Bold 9700 and I'm hoping that ATT will be good service here.
    Nice choice! If the service doesn't meet your standards, that's why they have a return period
    11-30-09 11:36 PM
    From bay area, CA and its perfect! I'm using a 9700 now but only used it in the east bay so far but with perfect coverage! Could not be happier with it! I've used a 3G phone basically from Sacramento down to San Deigo and from the coast line inland as far as Vegas, NV. The only real problem spots I noticed were parts of Santa Cruz (however NO ONE got signal) and certain spots in rural areas, but I've also got a signal in rural areas where others didn't. So all in all imo CA is pretty well covered!

12-01-09 03:26 AM
    Excellent 3G coverage in DFW...

12-01-09 08:33 AM
    Rock solid coverage in both Central New Jersey and Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Not so much Verizon (home in NJ)! Love AT&T...
    12-01-09 08:48 AM
    Awesome connection in Philadelphia, PA.

I've always got great coverage. I'd say I get 3G coverage 99% of the time anywhere in or around the area, within 100 miles that I've been. Very few dropped calls but then this also depended on the phone. Occasionally coverage would dip in and out but overall damn solid and reliable.

Previous phone (iPhone 3G) had spotty unreliable service at times but bearable. Could've been phone's fault, could've been because it was jailbroken. On a 9700 now (2nd day), haven't had a lot of voice time on this yet but I know BBs are known for being great voice phones also.
    12-02-09 11:59 AM
    Not an ATT customer, I'm a sad transplanted Alltel customer on Vzw.

However, I desperately want simul data/voice, so I ask everyone here all the time. I have several close friends and two GFs that have or have had ATT here in Cleveland. The ones that use use dumbphones are fairly happy. BB users are not. Seems iPhones work somewhat better here, no idea why "that" is. BB's suffer from lotsa dropped calls (even on 2G) and phones are constantly searching for 3G.

One friend is on her 7th 9000 (yes, seventh) and the phones are truly not the issue, it's the network here. ATT just keeps sending her phones They finally gave her a new 9700 today, we'll see how that one goes. The ex's palm was troublesome signal wise here as well tho.

Again, I want to drink the simul data-voice kool-aid, I really do. Sigh... Stuck on Vzw tho for now....

12-02-09 03:36 PM
    i have been all over US rural and cities.....even been to the philippines and lake nakur in africa....and have had great service....yes i have had dropped calls...but no different then the yr i was with VZW....now Customer service...with ATT (in the last yr) is a big freakin joke......
    12-03-09 01:09 PM
    Bold 9000 user in SF and service is not consistent. Drop calls are frequent as well. Instead of upgrading to 9700, I've decided to go to VZW. Bummed, I can't get the latest and greatest BB, but what good is a Ferrari if you can't drive it. Hope this helps.
    12-03-09 01:35 PM
    Berrynetime. i would wait just a second. I heard AT&T rolled out 850 mhz in SF like 2 weeks ago, my friend says the service has increased stability dramatically. Try it out for a little more and see if it got any better on 3G too.
    12-03-09 02:55 PM
    Got my Bold 9700 on Wednesday morning, fired it up. This phone is awesome. Feels good, sounds good and as long as the service holds up, its gonna be a keeper. Traveled around the Winston Salem, NC area and coverage seemed to be great.
    12-05-09 08:08 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD